Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 7, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #40,171 of 42,765
The OP is using his/her Mojo as a decoder and amplifier. If you're going to say there is a difference in sound quality between using a Samsung Galaxy S10 versus an iPhone 12 using the same USB interconnect to the Mojo and the same source/platform to play that song then you are entitled to that opinion.

I have failed to detect any in my testings - I don't deny that you have.

I don't have an opinion, that is why I'm asking. I don't know. I would like to find out more about this myself.
The first thing that comes to mind is jitter, clocking, etc. Would a $10k Esoteric DAC + $10k Esoteric dedicated external clock unit yield a better bitstream signal compared to an iPhone? Again, i really don't know.

May 7, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #40,172 of 42,765
That being said, I absolutely love the Mojo. Nothing comes close to it in its form factor and price range. The way the Mojo renders tracks and envelops you in the song puts my AK240 (and any flagship DAP, for that matter) to shame.

Agreed. I don't believe there is anything better than the Mojo in its form factor and price range.
I feel the same way you do about my AK120ll. My only regret is waiting too long to get the Mojo.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #40,173 of 42,765
I don't have an opinion, that is why I'm asking. I don't know. I would like to find out more about this myself.
The first thing that comes to mind is jitter, clocking, etc. Would a $10k Esoteric DAC + $10k Esoteric dedicated external clock unit yield a better bitstream signal compared to an iPhone? Again, i really don't know.

My apologies, I thought you were trying to make a point (which is fine as we all have differing opinions here). I agree jitter is a real thing and I have a DQ jitterbug myself. I am not denying the science behind it and the fact it can be a factor in sound alteration. But I am going to be frank here (probably flamed to death for saying this) I really cannot hear a difference from my laptop USB out with a DQ Cinnamon USB cable with a jitterbug and without a jitterbug to the Mojo. I am using Roon and Tidal as my playback source.

Maybe my gear isn't "high-end" enough to really appreciate that difference. I know people with 100k home systems that swear by jitter rate and clocking to which I am not saying they are wrong.

EDIT: And frankly at this stage/level I would be saving my money to upgrade to a Hugo2 if I was looking for drastic sound improvements rather than dumping absurd amounts on an esoteric transport.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #40,174 of 42,765
My apologies, I thought you were trying to make a point (which is fine as we all have differing opinions here). I agree jitter is a real thing and I have a DQ jitterbug myself. I am not denying the science behind it and the fact it can be a factor in sound alteration. But I am going to be frank here (probably flamed to death for saying this) I really cannot hear a difference from my laptop USB out with a DQ Cinnamon USB cable with a jitterbug and without a jitterbug to the Mojo. I am using Roon and Tidal as my playback source.

Maybe my gear isn't "high-end" enough to really appreciate that difference. I know people with 100k home systems that swear by jitter rate and clocking to which I am not saying they are wrong.

No worries. Maybe the discussion about bitstream variances (if there is such a thing) should be taken to another forum.

May 7, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #40,175 of 42,765
Flyte, now that you mention it the mojo always stays on blue, it doesn’t matter if I’m playing 16bit or 24bit.

I think this is quite a open subject, some will say you need a new player while others will say keep what you have.
So most of you think I should stick with what I have. I was possibly thinking of going for a node2i. I can get one for around £300.

Any opinions on cables and interconnects between phone and mojo?

mostly download my music from amazon hd.
Would buying thr music from a site make any difference?

May 7, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #40,177 of 42,765
I phone.
I’m tempted to get the chord poly, but I’m going to assume it doesn’t play lossless via streaming unless using the micro sd card.

There is always the option to get the hugo2 and the 2go but that will be a significant investment

And with the iems i’m Looking to get (kse1200)most people preferred the mojo

May 7, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #40,178 of 42,765
Flyte, now that you mention it the mojo always stays on blue, it doesn’t matter if I’m playing 16bit or 24bit.

You won't see a difference on Mojo between 16bit and 24bit. You need to try different sample rates (44.1kHz vs 192 kHz for example).

Tidal iOS app supports automatic sample rate switching... and has done for a long time.

Any opinions on cables and interconnects between phone and mojo?

This one with built-in ferrite.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5457

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #40,179 of 42,765
Still stays on the same colour with 44.1kHz vs 192 kHz. When I used to have tidal it would always stay on red.

I’ll have a look at the cable.

So I’m your opinion you don’t think it’s worth switching devices from my I phone?

May 7, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #40,180 of 42,765
Still stays on the same colour with 44.1kHz vs 192 kHz. When I used to have tidal it would always stay on red.

It would stay red with Tidal probably because you were listening to mostly 44.1kHz. There is MQA stuff on Tidal that is 88.2kHz and 96kHz (after 1st unfold) and with Tidal iOS app it automatically switches sample rate. So Mojo's colours change automatically.

It would be nice if Amazon's app did the same. From your feedback it looks like it's not there yet.

May 7, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #40,181 of 42,765
So I’m your opinion you don’t think it’s worth switching devices from my I phone?

Nah don't worry about it.

Just make sure your iPhone isn't connected to the wall charger while you're listening to Mojo. If you need to charge your iPhone while listening, charge it with a powerbank (that is also disconnected from it's own wall charger).

And enjoy iPhone + Mojo.

May 7, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #40,182 of 42,765
Thanks for the advice and I will enjoy.

What sample rate is the amazon app using? If the colour on the mojo isn’t changing?

I was looking into the AudioQuest cables and was potentially thinking of this one

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/audioquest-carbon-usb-type-a-to-type-micro-b-data-cable

Is there any high quality micro usb to lightning cables that are worth having a look at so I don’t need to use the apple connection kit?

May 7, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #40,183 of 42,765
Thanks for the advice and I will enjoy.

What sample rate is the amazon app using? If the colour on the mojo isn’t changing?

I was looking into the AudioQuest cables and was potentially thinking of this one

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/audioquest-carbon-usb-type-a-to-type-micro-b-data-cable

Is there any high quality micro usb to lightning cables that are worth having a look at so I don’t need to use the apple connection kit?

http://www.meenova.com/st/p/lgtnmuc.html

May 7, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #40,185 of 42,765
I phone.
I’m tempted to get the chord poly, but I’m going to assume it doesn’t play lossless via streaming unless using the micro sd card.

There is always the option to get the hugo2 and the 2go but that will be a significant investment

And with the iems i’m Looking to get (kse1200)most people preferred the mojo

I'll try to answer both your questions here.

1. You can play lossless (44.1kHz) via Airplay with the Poly. But if you want higher than CD quality sound (which is the max Airplay can support) you need to play it off the micro sd card thru uPNP.

2. From my experience, you need to use the Mojo in exclusive mode and force volume in Tidal. This can only be done on Windows I believe (I think MacOS manages these settings automatically, not 100% sure on that). If these settings are not engaged the light ball will remain red/orange regardless if you are playing a 44.1kHz or 96kHz track. On the iPhone you will be stuck with a red/orange ball.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back