Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 1, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #40,126 of 42,765
Anyone else that found the Jitterbug useless on their iPad, yet useful on a laptop?

The Jitterbug can help but only so much.

If you really want to hear what a USB source with zero (or very very low) RF would sound like, listen to TOSlink on any of Rob's DACs. Make sure you run Mojo off battery and disconnect it's charger.

The only USB source I've ever had that bettered TOSLink (subjectively) is a battery powered (completely physically de-coupled from mains power) microRendu with it's ethernet input optically isolated. Pain in the a$$ to have to disconnect and recharge batteries all the time though but it was a cool experiment.

Even though it was a bit better than TOSlink (slightly more fluid to my ears) it was marginal.

Now I just use this 24/192 USB to TOSlink converter:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/usbstreamer-box

To put all the above, in a different way. The lower in noise/RF you get with a USB source, the more it approaches the sound of TOSLink with Rob's DACs (to my ears anyway).

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #40,127 of 42,765

If you really want to hear what a USB source with zero (or very very low) RF would sound like, listen to TOSlink on any of Rob's DACs. Make sure you run Mojo off battery and disconnect it's charger.

The only USB source I've ever had that bettered TOSLink (subjectively) is a battery powered (completely physically de-coupled from mains power) microRendu with it's ethernet input optically isolated. Pain in the a$$ to have to disconnect and recharge batteries all the time though but it was a cool experiment.

Even though it was a bit better than TOSlink (slightly more fluid to my ears) it was marginal.

To put all the above, in a different way. The lower in noise/RF you get with a USB source, the more it approaches the sound of TOSLink with Rob's DACs (to my ears anyway).

Maybe I'm not fully understanding the issue, but why not just use a portable battery bank with USB out?

May 2, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #40,129 of 42,765

Do you get a degradation of the sound quality with that converter due to the conversion, compared to a straight Toslink input?

May 2, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #40,130 of 42,765
Do you get a degradation of the sound quality with that converter due to the conversion, compared to a straight Toslink input?

No it is bit perfect.

If there were any degradation it will result in dropouts in sound. Or no sound at all.

As long as it is bit perfect, it is just light (optical).

Mojo can deal with 2us of jitter, which is a shitloads.

As as long as it is bitperfect it doesn’t matter if it is a USB to TOSlink converter or some other optical source. No difference to the TOSlink input of Rob’s DACs.

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #40,131 of 42,765
Hmmm now I'm confused.

The Jitterbug is mostly used to filter RF over USB audio sources.

And portable battery banks are used to provide 5Vdc USB power.

I was not aware portable battery banks were limited to 5V over USB, thank you for pointing this out.
I believe the internal battery is 7.4V correct?
So is there anyway to power the Mojo for portable use with the internal battery removed?

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #40,133 of 42,765
I was not aware portable battery banks were limited to 5V over USB, thank you for pointing this out.

Hi, well initially portable battery banks were initially used to top up phones and tablets and had USB 5Vdc output.

Now you even have several models used to top up laptops. And even portable AC units.

But for Mojo we're only talking about 5Vdc.

I believe the internal battery is 7.4V correct?

To be honest, I don't want to discuss anything above 5Vdc because it might give someone the idea to do some DIY job that isn't safe. But see below.

So is there anyway to power the Mojo for portable use with the internal battery removed?

Yes you simply use Mojo's 5Vdc microUSB charging input.

If you're feeding Mojo 5Vdc via the microUSB input, it doesn't know if you're charging from a wall charger or a powerbank.

Would this work for power the mojo?

https://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F7U049/

This one is cheaper but buy it locally so you have local warranty and the correct plug:

https://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F8M886/

But I wouldn't be charging Mojo while using it. Better to use it running off it's internal batteries (with the charger unplugged) and then turn Mojo off at night and let it charge overnight.

The internal battery should last many years this way.

Charging it while using it will reduce battery life of Mojo.

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #40,134 of 42,765
Deleted

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #40,135 of 42,765
vlach said:
Yes you simply use Mojo's 5Vdc microUSB charging input
In an earlier post i asked why not just use an external battery bank with USB output to power the Mojo (when the internal battery is removed) and your answered:

"And portable battery banks are used to provide 5Vdc USB power"

I interpreted your response as meaning that 5Vdc was insufficient to power/operate the Mojo, especially since the internal battery is 7.4V. Is this what you meant?

Maybe we are getting 'charging' vs 'operating' (from an external battery bank via 5Vdc micro USB) confused.

To put it another way: is 5Vdc via micro USB from a battery bank sufficient to 'operate' (i know its enough to charge) the Mojo?

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #40,136 of 42,765
In an earlier post i asked why not just use an external battery bank with USB output to power the Mojo (when the internal battery is removed) and your answered:

I interpreted your response as meaning that 5Vdc was insufficient to power/operate the Mojo, especially since the internal battery is 7.4V. Is this what you meant?

Maybe we are getting 'charging' vs 'operating' (from an external battery bank via 5Vdc micro USB) confused.

To put it another way: is 5Vdc via micro USB from a battery bank sufficient to 'operate' (i know its enough to charge) the Mojo?

The microUSB input only accepts 5Vdc.

Charge or operate, it makes no difference to the power input can take. It is still a 5Vdc input. Don’t use more than 5Vdc.

With internal battery disconnected, you would still operate Mojo by feeding 5Vdc to the microUSB power input

But this not a supported operating method of Mojo although some have got it working.

I would advise against it. Best SQ is by using internal battery with wall charger disconnected (less mains RF).

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #40,137 of 42,765
This one is cheaper but buy it locally so you have local warranty and the correct plug:

https://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F8M886/

But I wouldn't be charging Mojo while using it. Better to use it running off it's internal batteries (with the charger unplugged) and then turn Mojo off at night and let it charge overnight.

The internal battery should last many years this way.

Charging it while using it will reduce battery life of Mojo.

Thank you, why would you not recommand that way of using the Mojo? Robert Watts says its fine beeing used that way?

I am also considering replacing my desktop DAC (which, by the way, cost far more than than the Mojo) with a second Mojo, so I might have something to sell too! One question that I think remains unanswered is, Is it alright to leave the Mojo on 24/7 plugged in with a 2A wall wart? Will that adversely affect the battery or anything else in the Mojo? Would keeping the Mojo on all the time avoid the issues with the battery charging circuitry?

It was designed to run this way. If you want to maximize battery life, then turn Mojo off when not using it, with the charger connected permanently and it will be fine as the charger will disconnect automatically, and re-charge automatically when the battery voltage drops.

Rob

May 3, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #40,138 of 42,765
Thank you, why would you not recommand that way of using the Mojo? Robert Watts says its fine beeing used that way?

That quote from Rob is from 2016. I've been trying to find the most recent advice but struggling to sort Rob's posts by date in this thread.

Definitely turning off when not using, that advice hasn't changed.

But also if you disconnect the charger while using Mojo, you eliminate a mains RF path.

May 3, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #40,139 of 42,765
May 3, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #40,140 of 42,765

A good (performance) reason not to disconnect the battery (ie a good reason to replace a flat battery):

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...n-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/page-2494#post-14512464

Larger dynamic current can be supplied by internal battery (if required), compared with 5Vdc external power

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back