Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 26, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #40,006 of 42,765
hi alekc ... do you mind comparing which gives better SQ between these?

1. PC --> Asio Driver (Chord Mojo's driver) --> USB ---> Chord Mojo

2. Xduoo X10T II ---> SPDIF (Coaxial or optical) ---> Chord Mojo

I think this is a very hard if not impossible comparison and here is why: Mojo is very sensitive to USB cable/USB transport from my experience. Overall there are very different USB transports with their own set of USB related issues.

Given all above I am not saying that it is not possible to use Mojo with USB in fact I am using it right now connected to my notebook :) What I am trying to explain is that USB results could vary between different set of equipment and cable combinations.

Coax is more clean but than again I guess in some cases you may not hear audible difference between USB and Coax. X10T II gives you portability and in such case I am always using Coax. However in desktop setup I am using USB. Go figuer. At the beginning I was connecting Mojo directly to PC. Now I have iGalvanic 3 nano + iUSB 3 micro. Honestly speaking I don't see any difference in case of Mojo if I have iGalvanic in my setup or not. iUSB is very useful in terms of charging Mojo while using it due to its 2 ports (4 in case of micro) with dedicated power port.

Last but not least you could connect Mojo to X10T II using USB too. Works very well. Secondly X10T II battery outperforms Mojo (especially if you do not turn screen on constantly) for at least couple of hours, so it makes a great companion for portable usage, while I prefer using PC for streaming. If Mojo would have battery management system like H2 it could be great little desktop dac.

Mar 26, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #40,007 of 42,765
I already asked before, but didn't get any feedback:
Does anyone experience a faint, high pitched background noise when the Mojo is NOT connected to anything, or connected to a transport via the 3,5mm coax cable?

I am not talking about the charging buzz.
It is a noise that starts when the Mojo is switched on, and after listening for a while (maybe 5, 10 or 20 min? Not sure and not enough data) it seems to "switch off".
It has been mentioned before in the thread but I could not find a solution or explanation.

With USB the background is silent, but I'd like to use coax, it sounds smoother and deeper, and is mechanically more robust.

Mar 26, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #40,008 of 42,765
I already asked before, but didn't get any feedback:
Does anyone experience a faint, high pitched background noise when the Mojo is NOT connected to anything, or connected to a transport via the 3,5mm coax cable?

I am not talking about the charging buzz.
It is a noise that starts when the Mojo is switched on, and after listening for a while (maybe 5, 10 or 20 min? Not sure and not enough data) it seems to "switch off".
It has been mentioned before in the thread but I could not find a solution or explanation.

With USB the background is silent, but I'd like to use coax, it sounds smoother and deeper, and is mechanically more robust.

Yep. It's far more pronounced with CA Andromeda IEM. You can even hear distinct multitones rather than a single tone through the Andromeda. With USB, the hiss becomes more prominent but not much of a distraction unless you're listening to classical or opera

Mar 29, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #40,009 of 42,765
Using a Shanling Q1 as a player, USB connection to my Mojo. USB mode set as USB and USB Audio Output set to fixed volume. When I move the track along by touching the slider bar, I’m getting a loud pop noise some times.

Also with gapless turned on a pop as the track changes.

Anyone else get the pops too using the Mojo with DAP via the micro USB input?

Don’t want to damage my IEMs so I guess I can’t pair my Q1 with the Mojo …

Mar 29, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #40,010 of 42,765
Using a Shanling Q1 as a player, USB connection to my Mojo. USB mode set as USB and USB Audio Output set to fixed volume. When I move the track along by touching the slider bar, I’m getting a loud pop noise some times.

Also with gapless turned on a pop as the track changes.

Anyone else get the pops too using the Mojo with DAP via the micro USB input?

Don’t want to damage my IEMs so I guess I can’t pair my Q1 with the Mojo …
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-dac-amp-☆★►faq-in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/post-12277215

If owners want to play tracks with differing sample rates, then they have to make their own decision, regarding the trade-off between choosing gapless (but then hearing a click when the sample rate changes), or allowing a gap of 0.5 seconds to allow the Mojo to adjust itself.

Mar 29, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #40,011 of 42,765
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-dac-amp-☆★►faq-in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/post-12277215

If owners want to play tracks with differing sample rates, then they have to make their own decision, regarding the trade-off between choosing gapless (but then hearing a click when the sample rate changes), or allowing a gap of 0.5 seconds to allow the Mojo to adjust itself.
Its the same album, but will check out the sampling rate ball to see if it changes color or goes dark.

Im trying to work out if its the Mojo or Q1....

Thanks!

Mar 29, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #40,012 of 42,765
Its the same album, but will check out the sampling rate ball to see if it changes color or goes dark.

Im trying to work out if its the Mojo or Q1....

Thanks!
The Mojo is always sampling many data samples simultaneously, some in advance, some behind.
If you move the track position using the slider bar, then the advance and behind samples will no longer 'align', so it doesn't surprise me that the result can be a 'click'.
@Rob Watts is the best person to explain this to you.

Mar 29, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #40,013 of 42,765
The Mojo is always sampling many data samples simultaneously, some in advance, some behind.
If you move the track position using the slider bar, then the advance and behind samples will no longer 'align', so it doesn't surprise me that the result can be a 'click'.
@Rob Watts is the best person to explain this to you.
Thank you, bit surprised but can follow the logic.

Bit confused why with some sources I don't get the pops. Will do some comparrisons!

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #40,018 of 42,765
Question:

Since the Mojo is essentially a DAC with variable line out, am i truncating bits when NOT using the full 3V output level or is it a mute point due to oversampling?

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #40,019 of 42,765

Users who are viewing this thread

Back