Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 29, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #39,931 of 42,765
Thanks for your reply / advice. Yeah, I tried that (optical from PC to Mojo, 3.5mm to LSX) but strangely, couldn't get LSX to play Aux input ...

UPDATE: Jesus H I am a maroon. Apparently makes a different to run the aux out of the Mojo from one of the headphone outputs rather than the analog input. (Even worse, not the first time I've done this ... have plugged my headphones into the aux input and sat there frustrated for minutes and minutes trying to troubleshoot lack of music.)

I kinda think does sound slightly better ... but query if that's a placebo effect ...
Glad you got it working.
FYI Mojo doesn't have any analogue inputs. The connection you are thinking is an analogue input is probably the coax digital input.
Also remember to set Mojo's output volume higher, to a line-level output level, this is covered in the manual and in this thread and don't forget to lower it again before plugging headphones in again. :)

Feb 29, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #39,932 of 42,765
Glad you got it working.
FYI Mojo doesn't have any analogue inputs. The connection you are thinking is an analogue input is probably the coax digital input.
Also remember to set Mojo's output volume higher, to a line-level output level, this is covered in the manual and in this thread and don't forget to lower it again before plugging headphones in again. :)

Correct, yeah, meant the coax input, which, based on old school 3.5mm appearance, I assumed was analog. Thanks again. Now I'm got Spotify/Tidal running via optical from PC (Corsair ONE) to Mojo, and Mojo connected via 3.5mm (temporarily repurposed Master & Dynamic headphone cable) to KEF LSX aux input.

FOLLOW UP QUESTION(S): (1) Can multiple Mojo inputs be simultaneously connected - i.e., in addition to PC via optical, my MacBook Pro via one of the other inputs - coax or micro USB - so I can use the Mojo with either PC or Mac without switching up connections and (2) if so, any difference between using a 3.5mm cable from MB headphone out to Mojo coax input vs a USB-C to Mojo micro USB input? And (3) do any/all 3.5mm coax cables actually run digital signal, or do I need a special cable for that?

THANKS AGAIN.

Mar 1, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #39,933 of 42,765
Correct, yeah, meant the coax input, which, based on old school 3.5mm appearance, I assumed was analog. Thanks again. Now I'm got Spotify/Tidal running via optical from PC (Corsair ONE) to Mojo, and Mojo connected via 3.5mm (temporarily repurposed Master & Dynamic headphone cable) to KEF LSX aux input.

FOLLOW UP QUESTION(S): (1) Can multiple Mojo inputs be simultaneously connected - i.e., in addition to PC via optical, my MacBook Pro via one of the other inputs - coax or micro USB - so I can use the Mojo with either PC or Mac without switching up connections and (2) if so, any difference between using a 3.5mm cable from MB headphone out to Mojo coax input vs a USB-C to Mojo micro USB input? And (3) do any/all 3.5mm coax cables actually run digital signal, or do I need a special cable for that?

THANKS AGAIN.
Most/all of your questions are covered in the third post in this thread I believe.

1. Yes they can all be connected at the same time but USB takes priority I believe.
2. The coax input is a digital connection so a 3.5mm headphone (analogue) output from any device won't work.
3. You question seems to be the wrong way round, to get the best coax signal transmission you should use a cable designed for coax digital transmission but a normal analogue cable may work over shorter transmission distances as long as the correct signals are all connected (digital signal and ground).

Mar 1, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #39,935 of 42,765
Hi Mojo crew!

I have one question. Can I use the mojo as a standalone dac plugged-in without charging the battery? (I have the fear that leaving 100% litium battery all the time can damage it)

Thanks
As soon as power is applied to the charging socket Mojo will charge until the battery is fully charged, there is no setting to stop this happening.

Some users have removed the internal battery and used Mojo with an external power supply only, this is not supported by Chord and will most likely void any remaining warranty, but it does work apparently.

Mar 2, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #39,936 of 42,765
Hi Mojo crew!

I have one question. Can I use the mojo as a standalone dac plugged-in without charging the battery? (I have the fear that leaving 100% litium battery all the time can damage it)

Thanks
I'm using a Poly-Mojo combo this way.
FYI Rob Watts made some comments on battery life back in the Hugo 2 thread, also briefly mentioning Mojo:

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #39,938 of 42,765
Did you remove Poly’s battery also?
Sorry, might have been a bit unclear here, but I didn't remove any battery. I just take Rob's word for it that there shouldn't be any harm in keeping the Mojo plugged in all the time, even though there's no "desktop mode" like the Hugo 2.
But I guess it's up to each and everyone to decide.

Mar 3, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #39,940 of 42,765
Sorry, might have been a bit unclear here, but I didn't remove any battery. I just take Rob's word for it that there shouldn't be any harm in keeping the Mojo plugged in all the time, even though there's no "desktop mode" like the Hugo 2.
But I guess it's up to each and everyone to decide.

Leaving it plugged in all the time is possible, but you will take a hit on battery life. Mojo's battery is not fully charged, so that it can be left on charge permanently; but I would recommend that you turn Mojo off when not in use. Then the charger will disconnect, and the battery will not be on extra voltage stress, impairing it's life. So there is certainly no problem in keeping the charger connected permanently so long as you turn Mojo off when not in use.

Mar 3, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #39,941 of 42,765
Leaving it plugged in all the time is possible, but you will take a hit on battery life. Mojo's battery is not fully charged, so that it can be left on charge permanently; but I would recommend that you turn Mojo off when not in use. Then the charger will disconnect, and the battery will not be on extra voltage stress, impairing it's life. So there is certainly no problem in keeping the charger connected permanently so long as you turn Mojo off when not in use.
Thanks for clarifying Rob, that's exactly what I do with the Mojo, keep the charger connected at all times but turn the Mojo off when not in use. I haven't had any issues with this setup.

Mar 3, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #39,942 of 42,765
^^^

Amazing, as a new old Mojo owner; it's great to know one can keep it connected at all times. I too assumed that it had to be constantly unplugged.

I plan to re-purpose to a desktop gaming dac upon Mojo₂ release. Hesuvi -> Soundblaster G6 to passthrough 7.1 surround -> optical -> Mojo. So it's going to help plenty if it's connected at all times.

My backup plan is once the Mojo battery R.I.P.s after warranty, i plan to do the DC mod powered by Ciunas ISO-PS Supercapacitor powered by a PowerAdd Pilot Pro 2. PP2 (12V) -> ISO-PS (5v or 7.5v). I like to stick with battery-only, glass optical solutions so this fits. Instead of the ISO-PS powered by mains, it's powered by a PP2.

Here's the DC mod:

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/bdxdit/i_converted_my_mojo_into_a_desktop_dac/

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

I'm planning on powering my optical board directly from the ISO-PS bypassing the PC power down the line so it's just not for the Mojo.

hifi.jpeg

The ISO-PS has dual voltages so planning on the 5V + 7.5V config.

That way I can use 5V or 7.5V for Mojo.
5V for my optical source.
or 5V + 7.5V = 12.5V for a mScaler or TT2

Looking forward to experimenting with Supercapacitor power down the line when I have energy for this hobby again. I was planning LifePO4 batteries, but Supercapacitor wins out. Being able to be powered by a battery pack makes sense to go this route versus LifePO4.

https://www.ciunas.biz/product-page/copy-of-supercapacitor-power-supply-dual-voltage-outputs

Edit: Scratch TT₂ use as I forget TT₂ already has multiple supercapacitors built-in. But can add Hugo₂ as the links above pointing to the Hugo₂ thread verifies you can run without batteries. With supercapacitors or LifePO4, you have more dynamic power headroom.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #39,943 of 42,765
@AC-12 as a side note: I would rethink using Mojo as gaming DAC. From my experience it has too warm signature for it, however if you like it in games too than it is a great idea :) Overall Mojo is great DAC and I often use it as desktop solution too.

Mar 4, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #39,944 of 42,765
is the mojo price already drop permanently or what..
currently in my local retailer new unit price is still around usd350 - 360
luckily manage to sold my mojo earlier :dt880smile:
thought the promotion end already.

Mar 4, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #39,945 of 42,765
@AC-12 as a side note: I would rethink using Mojo as gaming DAC. From my experience it has too warm signature for it, however if you like it in games too than it is a great idea :) Overall Mojo is great DAC and I often use it as desktop solution too.

Good point. I'm usually conscious of the warm issue, but overlooked it for gaming. It's still a year or two away as I'm just planning absolencence ahead now. Going to use Mojo for mobile joy in the meantime before it's eventually re-purposed to a desktop dac. Maybe for games that I want more timbre and naturalness like Indie or RTS, I'll use Mojo. For fast-paced FPS games, I'll use the Hugo₂.

The Chord Dacs will just be plug-and-play supplements. The Soundblaster G6 will always be full-time. The option to bypass the G6 DAC and use optical out is as simple as plugging in the optical cable on the back of the G6.

g6.jpg

The G6 measures surprisingly well on ASR and has low impedance out so it's a fine gaming DAC full-time. Just on certain occasions will plug-in a Chord DAC for added realism.

g6.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back