Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 2, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #37,006 of 42,765
I have recently bought omega super 3i passive speakers for desktop and they can be driven directly by mojo/poly as well as by hugo2. It gets louder then required for desktop scenario normal listening levels. Adding external amp did not added anything then loudness....

Thank you for these recommendations.

But may i know did you make a DIY 3.5mm to banana plug or did you bought it from a store?

Aug 2, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #37,007 of 42,765
I
Thank you for these recommendations.

But may i know did you make a DIY 3.5mm to banana plug or did you bought it from a store?
I have currently rca to banana plug cable made by audio dealer who was very astonished by my request plus standard Hama rca to 3,5 mm converter bought in audio market. It is not the best solution but it was the only one which was easily accessible...

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #37,008 of 42,765
Juat got mu Mojo. I connect it to onkyo dp-x1a with a otg-usb and it works without any problem. But the DSP and EQ is still working. Does it mean it isnt bit perfect? Or is all those things happening before entering the DAC?
Should I get USB audio player pro? All I want from the player is ones and zeros.

Aug 2, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #37,009 of 42,765
Honestly, I don't think the Chord Mojo improves the HD 540 Ref 1 300 ohm compared to my laptops headphone out to be worthy of it's price. Yes, the sound is certainly more technically capable, however the overall coherence of the music, isn't that improved, and I feel like the laptop's headphone out is less edged/smoother, than the Mojo.

Could that be because the laptops soundcard resolves way less than the Mojo, and so in return the sound gets smoother? Because even though the HD 540 is less clear and smoother from the laptop, it certainly doesn't lack clarity in the slightest.

Aug 2, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #37,010 of 42,765
Honestly, I don't think the Chord Mojo improves the HD 540 Ref 1 300 ohm compared to my laptops headphone out to be worthy of it's price. Yes, the sound is certainly more technically capable, however the overall coherence of the music, isn't that improved, and I feel like the laptop's headphone out is less edged/smoother, than the Mojo.

Could that be because the laptops soundcard resolves way less than the Mojo, and so in return the sound gets smoother? Because even though the HD 540 is less clear and smoother from the laptop, it certainly doesn't lack clarity in the slightest.

Are you complaining about the sound? Let me join you brother.
Got the UAPP and found the bit perfect settings. Sound is so dry and lifeless, opposite of what I read on the internet..not even a liiittle wow feeling. Im listening with Shure 535, could it be those?
Aaah cant return it either. Never going to get a satisfying sound.

Aug 2, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #37,011 of 42,765
Got the UAPP and found the bit perfect settings. Sound is so dry and lifeless, opposite of what I read on the internet..not even a liiittle wow feeling. Im listening with Shure 535, could it be those?
My main point of comparison is driving my beyerdynamic T5P either with the iphone headphone out directly or using the Mojo. These are fairly sensitive full size headphones so I can achieve good SPL either way. Volume matched, I get a lot more satisfying sound out of the Mojo. I haven't done any blind testing with this so it could easily be bias. The other thing though is that I really like my Hifiman HE560, and so far the Mojo is only portable I've tried that is able to drive these well.

Aug 2, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #37,012 of 42,765

Use a dedicated DAP such as AK DAPs as your source then you’ll know the real Mojo sound

Aug 2, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #37,014 of 42,765
I'm not complaining about the sound, since everything is definitely better technically, but I was just wondering if the better resolution capabilities of the Mojo also reveals more edginess in the music, as opposed to the duller/smoother, yet still clear sounding laptops soundcard.

Aug 2, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #37,015 of 42,765
I'm not complaining about the sound, since everything is definitely better technically, but I was just wondering if the better resolution capabilities of the Mojo also reveals more edginess in the music, as opposed to the duller/smoother, yet still clear sounding laptops soundcard.
What kind of source files are you using? What genres of music?

At the end of the day, some people prefer a more "musical" sound to a more "analytical" sound. I don't think the Mojo is particularly analytical but if you're used to something different I suppose I can see it being too much. I'd suggest maybe living with it exclusively for a few days to re-adjust your baseline, then go back to A/B and see what you think.

Aug 2, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #37,016 of 42,765

Yes. At least I found that every time I upgrade my gear (source, DAC, amp, headphone) then I hear more flaws in the music if flaws exist. It’s actually made it so that I can’t stand some poorly mastered / mixed music that I used to enjoy. When I've subsequently purchased a better master / mix of the same music I am back in music happy land.

Usually it’s the recent re-masters of music that are the worst offenders due to the ‘loudness wars’ (Google it), where the older (pre-2000) original release of tracks are usually mastered well with no distortion and good dynamic range.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #37,019 of 42,765
Im using dp-x1a. But this is what Im talking about. If there is a bit perfect setting, how can what source you use matter then?
Im so confused and frustrated.
In post 3 there should be some quoted text regarding how different cables and sources will change the sound even it’s “bit perfect” via digital. In a nut shell it’s about the timing. Also if on computer, the host do verify packets to achieve bit perfect and will make requests for lost packets (still messes with the timing) but most DAP or DAC doesn’t have this, it just plays whatever it gets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back