Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 9, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #36,871 of 42,765
Thanks @miketlse . Don't worry about it if it's not easy to hand. I'm not in the market to spend that much right now, just planning ahead.

Jul 10, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #36,873 of 42,765
What I find puzzling is the big product range gap between Mojo and the next step up = Hugo 2. Why not offer a sub £1000 desktop performance product?

Allot of users have the Mojo as a Desktop solution due to the next step up being out of reach in terms of price.

Agreed - in the lineup of Chord the gap for DAC + headphone amp between the Mojo and the Hugo 2 is very big, but Hugo 1 was now on sale in the UK for 900 pounds, so a used Hugo should very nicely fill the gap between the Mojo and Hugo2.
And for those (like me) who are looking for a DAC to complement the stereo system, the 2Qute is really an attractive option.

So if you take the "older" generation and used products into account there are a lot of options at different price points.

Jul 10, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #36,874 of 42,765
Thanks. Yes you are correct, anything with a lithium ion or lithium polymer battery should not be left on for long periods. They should be charged often even if only slightly discharged as they do not like to be completely run down too often either.

I just purchased a mojo and am really enjoying it. I didn't realize exactly how small it was until I got the package.

One thing I noticed is that my mojo gets rather warm while charging. It's not uncomfortably hot, but definitely warmer than I expected for simple charging. I'm charging from the USB-C port on my mac. Would it be better for me to find a charger that potentially supplied less current and might keep the mojo cooler?

Jul 10, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #36,876 of 42,765
I just purchased a mojo and am really enjoying it. I didn't realize exactly how small it was until I got the package.

One thing I noticed is that my mojo gets rather warm while charging. It's not uncomfortably hot, but definitely warmer than I expected for simple charging. I'm charging from the USB-C port on my mac. Would it be better for me to find a charger that potentially supplied less current and might keep the mojo cooler?

It's normal for the Mojo to get quite warm during charging, therefore it's better to not charge it while using, especially if you are using a case.
The power supply will not make a difference. If it's too weak (<1A) the Mojo will not charge, and if it's powerful enough it's the charging circuit inside the Mojo that defines how much current is being drawn.

The thing with the Mojo seems to be that it uses a 2-cell battery.
This requires a DC/DC conversion to higher voltages and a balancing circuit to keep the 2 batteries at the same voltage, and both these citcuits produce some heat.

But if you use it as intended (not permanently connected to a power supply) the battery should least for a very long time.

Jul 10, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #36,877 of 42,765
Hi, i have encountered a problem with my mojo, it has worked wonderfully for a few months but yesterday it stopped working partway through a track and would not respond.

i tried turning it off and on and it worked for a few seconds and then stopped partway through the first track.

This happens using coax (fiio x7) and usb from a laptop, the battery light still shows green so it has charge.

Any ideas?

Jul 10, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #36,878 of 42,765
@ZappaMan I did scan that, and maybe should have been more specific as to whether or not having a higher current charge was beneficial or could cause issues.
@surfgeorge thanks for the additional response.

It seems like I shouldn't be too concerned, rereading all the FAQ + these thoughts above suggest that normal "warm" temps are OK and that it wouldn't really matter if I used another charger. I'm definitely aiming to treat the battery nicely. Just didn't know what else to do. I guess just charge it from say 50% up so it doesn't bottom out.

Jul 10, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #36,879 of 42,765
@ZappaMan I did scan that, and maybe should have been more specific as to whether or not having a higher current charge was beneficial or could cause issues.
@surfgeorge thanks for the additional response.

It seems like I shouldn't be too concerned, rereading all the FAQ + these thoughts above suggest that normal "warm" temps are OK and that it wouldn't really matter if I used another charger. I'm definitely aiming to treat the battery nicely. Just didn't know what else to do. I guess just charge it from say 50% up so it doesn't bottom out.

With that attitude the battery will have a long and happy life :ksc75smile:
But I would not worry too much about running it down when needed, the battery should be well protected by the monitoring system.

Jul 10, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #36,880 of 42,765
Hi, i have encountered a problem with my mojo, it has worked wonderfully for a few months but yesterday it stopped working partway through a track and would not respond.

i tried turning it off and on and it worked for a few seconds and then stopped partway through the first track.

This happens using coax (fiio x7) and usb from a laptop, the battery light still shows green so it has charge.

Any ideas?

Possibly a thermal protection shutdown?
How was the temperature of the Mojo?
Did you charge it while playing?
Did you watch the battery indicator while it was shutting off?
Anything else that was unusual?

Generally I can only think of battery empty, battery defect, or Mojo problem.

Jul 10, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #36,881 of 42,765
Possibly a thermal protection shutdown?
How was the temperature of the Mojo?
Did you charge it while playing?
Did you watch the battery indicator while it was shutting off?
Anything else that was unusual?

Generally I can only think of battery empty, battery defect, or Mojo problem.

THank you, it was being used outside where it is warm, however it has been used in the sun for weeks without issue
No i do not ever charge while using
No i did check the battery showed green but not while it was being turned off

Jul 10, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #36,882 of 42,765
THank you, it was being used outside where it is warm, however it has been used in the sun for weeks without issue
No i do not ever charge while using
No i did check the battery showed green but not while it was being turned off
My first thought is also thermal shutdown. I think there are 3 thermal protection circuits in the mojo, so potentially one of them has been activated. The first test would be to let the mojo cool down indoors, then try using it, and let us know if it now works ok.

Jul 10, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #36,884 of 42,765
Can there be a sound quality loss if the Mojo gets dropped on the floor, but the headphone out still works?
Very, very unlikely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back