Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 9, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #36,421 of 42,765
I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings because I *AM* interested in knowing if this is the case for I *WANT* to purchase a Chord Mojo and stay happy with it, after all those rave reviews it has had.

Unless it is a scam.

Which I suspect (and only suspect) that it is.

funny you should mention 'scams' I suspect that I was hit by one today (only suspect mind)... today I received a email from Nigeria saying I have won 'Oil shares' worth £1,000,000 in the lottery (yes you read that right one million GBP), I've only had to send £5,000 to the Lottery Agent to claim them, unfortunately they didn't have a Paypal account so I've lost out, bummer huh?

I also read you want to own a 'Mojo', a worthy investment if I do say myself and one you'd be proud to own & enjoy... and no I don't work for Chord, honest.

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #36,422 of 42,765
I have a Roksan K3 amplifier and use the Mojo as desktop dac.

Do you think I can have an improve by buying the Roksan K3 dac or I should stick with the Mojo?

The difference is size and weight is huge.

May 9, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #36,423 of 42,765
I have a Roksan K3 amplifier and use the Mojo as desktop dac… Do you think I can have an improve by buying the Roksan K3 dac or I should stick with the Mojo?

Roksan make lovely amps never heard their DAC's that said... you may want to demo the Chord Qutest (DAC) and the Roksan DAC at your Hi-Fi Dealer if you are looking to integrate into a home system. The Qutest is slightly more expensive though see which suits your ears best... hope that helps.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #36,424 of 42,765
Do remember not to use a crap iems or headphones to test Chord Mojo with a cheap DAC to see Mojo is a scam or not, as those lousy iems/headphones isn't resolving enough for Chord Mojo potential.
Please use a decent headphone like Sennheiser HD25 and above to do a test, I bet you will tell us Mojo is not a scam.

May 10, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #36,425 of 42,765
I own and have owned various daps and currently own fiio x7ii opus1 cayin n3, without a doubt I would recommend the mojo it still is one of the best out there and for me easily still competes with x7ii and various other recent daps if not still trumps them.
If your not worried about using a transport i would recommend it over most daps i have tried every time all though i do prefer it using optical.
I like x7ii too though both are very good.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #36,426 of 42,765
I have a Roksan K3 amplifier and use the Mojo as desktop dac.

Do you think I can have an improve by buying the Roksan K3 dac or I should stick with the Mojo?

The difference is size and weight is huge.

https://www.whathifi.com/roksan/k3-dac/review

I would not buy the Roksan K3 dac, just going by this one review.

If you really have the DAC upgrade desire. You should think about other Chord DACs, since they are class leaders.

However, what DAC you want depends on what you need. Do you want a headphone socket in the DAC, like the Mojo or Hugo. Or would you use the DAC straight to you amplifier, and use the headphone socket on your amplifier. ........ You'll get better headphone sound resolution, if your headphone socket is on the DAC.

All I can tell you about the Hugo 2, (and subsequently the Qutest), is that the Hugo 2 is excellent. ... It did take me a while to fully adjust to the Hugo 2 though. Try get a long home demo.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #36,427 of 42,765
https://www.whathifi.com/roksan/k3-dac/review

I would not buy the Roksan K3 dac, just going by this one review.

If you really have the DAC upgrade desire. You should think about other Chord DACs, since they are class leaders.

However, what DAC you want depends on what you need. Do you want a headphone socket in the DAC, like the Mojo or Hugo. Or would you use the DAC straight to you amplifier, and use the headphone socket on your amplifier. ........ You'll get better headphone sound resolution, if your headphone socket is on the DAC.

All I can tell you about the Hugo 2, (and subsequently the Qutest), is that the Hugo 2 is excellent. ... It did take me a while to fully adjust to the Hugo 2 though. Try get a long home demo.

Unluckily I cannot have a demo.

I already use a Mojo as first dac for my Roksan K3 amplifier and I want to achieve a more full sound, where the balance is more on the warm side. Actually, I have too much trasparency. Will the Qutest (I will avoid the Hugo 2, I don't need an headphone amplifier) will give me a more "fuller" sound?

A Mojo dac could compete with a Roksan K3 Dac where the one is 20 times smaller? This is a technical question however.

May 10, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #36,428 of 42,765
To your last point of wheter the Mojo can compete with a bigger DAC - I compared it to my 15kg DAC that cost me about 5 times of the Mojo, and I clearly prefer the Mojo.
The biggest difference is that in complex pieces, the Mojo keeps everything in focus while the big DAC makes it one big sound mass, and secondly the depth and layering of the soundstage.
After reading Rob Watts explanations it seems very sound engineering is behind that.
After hearing Mojo I see Chord as „true sound products“, conventional DACs as „tuned to certain characteristics“
I have no doubt that there are excellent chip based DACs, but there‘s something about the Chord sound and approach that makes me trust them as a truely great and natural source.
I am going to add the warmth with Ausioquest headphones and in my Stereo system I would rather change the speakers too.

In the end its about the whole system, and up to everyone to match the components for the desired sound. :)

May 10, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #36,429 of 42,765
Unluckily I cannot have a demo.

I already use a Mojo as first dac for my Roksan K3 amplifier and I want to achieve a more full sound, where the balance is more on the warm side. Actually, I have too much trasparency. Will the Qutest (I will avoid the Hugo 2, I don't need an headphone amplifier) will give me a more "fuller" sound?

A Mojo dac could compete with a Roksan K3 Dac where the one is 20 times smaller? This is a technical question however.

It's hard to describe, how the Hugo 2 is better than the Mojo. It just is, a lot. It is transparent though, but that adds to its beauty. You can hear though one sound, and to another sound behind, with absolute accuracy.

The Hugo 2 does not have a warm sound signature like the Mojo. However it does have just a natural level of warmth. (The odd review says Hugo 2 is not warm sounding. I find Hugo 2 just right with my equipment. Honestly I can not believe my ears.) ......... I think the Hugo 2 and the Qutest are the same DAC (inside). Maybe there are advantages with the Hugo 2. However I think it will be very close: Hugo 2 vs Qutest. Or exactly the same. I think Chord charge more money for portability, and headphone socket, with the Hugo 2. Plus Hugo 2 has built in 'desktop mode'.

I would say, go and get the Qutest today. (It will change your life.) However that might seem like I am trying to push you. The truth is that I am simply very impressed with the Hugo 2. .............. If you buy a Qutest (or Hugo 2) though, give yourself a long time before you judge it. The same as when you bought your Mojo, and you were not sure. Yet now you understand the Mojo is excellent. It takes the same time to learn how good the Hugo 2 (Qutest) will be.

Mojo vs Rocksan K3 DAC. Clearly size plays no part. It's the processing power in Chord DAC that matters. (Remember that DACs can be small. There is one in your mobile phone.)

Actually you might want to wait a few more days, before you think more seriously. Chord are announcing some new products in the next few days. Maybe see what they have.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #36,431 of 42,765
Basically, I need something that sound as good as the Mojo but even warmer and fuller.

May 10, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #36,434 of 42,765
May 10, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #36,435 of 42,765
Would it even fit?:dt880smile: Are you using your iphone as a roon remote at home or as an endpoint into mojo. I believe mobile roon is in the making still?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back