Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 20, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #36,151 of 42,765
A similar rule I see in operation, quite frequently, in Head-Fi threads, seems to go unnoticed by most of the people who are following the rule:

"If something sounds better for you, then it's only a matter of time before some else sounds even better to you, and then something else, and then something else, and then something else...."
I spent several years listening to the iPhone. I read that it measures extremely well and that I did not need anything better as a source. I could not shift the feeling that something was not satisfying about the way it played my music. I bought a Mojo intending to return it if I didn't like it. Problem solved. I've been listening to the Mojo for about 18 months. I don't need anything "better".

Apr 20, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #36,152 of 42,765
Can i ask does mojo support mqa from tidal

Are you asking about MQA unwrapping?

Mojo doesn't do any stage of MQA unwrapping, and makes no specific provision for MQA, in any way, but if your transport unwraps MQA, then Mojo will convert the track to analogue just as well as any other non-MQA DAC.

As you may be aware, the legitimacy of MQA is debatable, so please don't feel too obliged to cater for it with your hardware choices, although I respect your desire to do so.

Part
of the reason some MQA files might sound better, may be because they are from a newer mastering, rather than the MQA technology itself making an album sound better.

Some further reading, if you happen to feel so-inclined:

www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/page-54#post-14096808

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #36,153 of 42,765
It can unfold the first layer of an MQA file atm. So you can get max 96kHz sample rate out of it.

Apr 20, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #36,154 of 42,765
Without wanting to beat a dead horse, even our individual subjectivity isn't entirely reliable. Our perception of what sounds "better" is influenced by many factors: product appearance and price tag, music track, volume level, background noise, time of day, mood, amount of time spent listening, etc. Personally, I find it helpful to do multiple listening sessions with various pieces of music, under various conditions, before trying to make finer distinctions about what sounds better to me (larger distinctions can often be made fairly quickly and reliably).
I already said that perception of music is subjective. And if you claim that one can not even trust himself or herself, than that is another issue of a whole different subject. I stand on the point that in music and music related devices there is no one best of all. Only you can say that what is best for you. If you cannot decide what is enough or what is best for you well then you may need to train yourself a little bit more.

Apr 20, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #36,155 of 42,765

It can unfold the first layer of an MQA file atm. So you can get max 96kHz sample rate out of it.

I'm under the impression that it's the Tidal app that handles the first-layer unwrapping/unfolding of MQA.

I'm open to being educated otherwise, but that's my current understanding.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #36,156 of 42,765
A similar rule I see in operation, quite frequently, in Head-Fi threads, seems to go unnoticed by most of the people who are following the rule:

"If something sounds better for you, then it's only a matter of time before some else sounds even better to you, and then something else, and then something else, and then something else...."
It is another subject which is about how well you can control yourself, maybe psychology or another study. I know what is good for me and I know what is better for me and I know what value I will get if I spend x amount of money. Even if I fail at any point I always have the option to return any gear I buy nowadays. It was a lot harder back in the no-internet era but nowadays anything is so easy.

Apr 20, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #36,157 of 42,765
I'm under the impression that it's the Tidal app that handles the first-layer unwrapping/unfolding of MQA.

Yeah you maybe right, things are blurry for me about MQA, what I know is, Mojo can play @96kHz sample rate max on only desktop app if the song is MQA version. iOS app doesn't even list MQA songs.

Apr 20, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #36,158 of 42,765
Mmmm, I'm no expert or fanatic on MQA, either, and, aside from Tidal pushing it, it seems more & more people are turning more & more skeptical about it (as per the link I posted, above).

Apr 20, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #36,159 of 42,765
I already said that perception of music is subjective. And if you claim that one can not even trust himself or herself, than that is another issue of a whole different subject. I stand on the point that in music and music related devices there is no one best of all. Only you can say that what is best for you. If you cannot decide what is enough or what is best for you well then you may need to train yourself a little bit more.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that we can't trust ourselves, just that more diverse testing is sometimes needed to better predict how much we'll like something long-term. Since this is the Mojo thread, after much use of it, I can confidently say that I like it a lot! :beerchug:

Apr 20, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #36,160 of 42,765

Yeah you maybe right, things are blurry for me about MQA, what I know is, Mojo can play @96kHz sample rate max on only desktop app if the song is MQA version. iOS app doesn't even list MQA songs.

Yeah, Mojo has nothing to do with MQA. All it sees is a PCM bitstream (unfolded already by upstream software).

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #36,162 of 42,765
Wish Tidal developers were focusing their efforts to the streaming experience, UI and music discovery. Sure, MQA is something that can be developed for a better listening experience but, Tidal needs to fix a lot with their mobile app and to be honest it will never hurt the subscribers if they learn from competitors and give the features they provide. I miss Spotify.

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #36,163 of 42,765
Wish Tidal developers were focusing their efforts to the streaming experience, UI and music discovery. Sure, MQA is something that can be developed for a better listening experience but, Tidal needs to fix a lot with their mobile app and to be honest it will never hurt the subscribers if they learn from competitors and give the features they provide. I miss Spotify.

Agreed on the comparison of Tidal and Spotify. I have both. As soon as Spotify offers CD-quality, I'll be dumping Tidal and using Spotify exclusively. Using the Mojo and Hugo 2, I don't actually notice much difference in sound quality between Spotify Extreme and Tidal Hi-Fi in back to back testing, but there may be subtle differences which are more evident in extended listening and maybe more at a subconscious level. I actually find the difference between the Mojo and Hugo 2 to be larger than the difference between Spotify and Tidal.

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #36,164 of 42,765
I actually find the difference between the Mojo and Hugo 2 to be larger than the difference between Spotify and Tidal.

I haven’t heard the Hugo 2 yet, but I hope so! I have a hard time distinguishing CDs from Spotify extreme. I have all my eggs in the Spotify basket.

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #36,165 of 42,765
I thought there was a significant difference between Tidal and Spotify until I realised that Tidal plays slightly louder than Spotify . Crude volume match and the difference disappears. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back