Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 21, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #36,166 of 42,765
I spent several years listening to the iPhone. I read that it measures extremely well and that I did not need anything better as a source. I could not shift the feeling that something was not satisfying about the way it played my music. I bought a Mojo intending to return it if I didn't like it. Problem solved. I've been listening to the Mojo for about 18 months. I don't need anything "better".
i liked your post, its refreshing to hear someone say they're happy to stick with what they've got, rather then chasing the more advanced model (which i do), but self restraint, and being content with an already major upgrade, its a good attitude to have.

I recently obtained the hd800s, and they've 'broken in' now, and really, the mojo\poly\hd800s, are amazing enough to last me for a while, just be content :)

Apr 22, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #36,167 of 42,765
Hi folks, i was listening and the Mojo just went dead. It was plugged in for charging whle playing and went dead after 15 minutes. Thinking it was a thermal ahut down, let it cool down but still remains dead. Plugging in the charger, light light comes on but shut down again in 10 minutes again. Disconnect charger, and the Mojo feels hot for the 10 minutes i left the charger on.

Please kindly offer some advice as i was not able to get much information after going thru the thread. Thanks in advance.

Apr 22, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #36,168 of 42,765
I am looking for a (preferably android) transport with coax or optical to use with the mojo, at present i use a fiio x7/am2 and this is rather large for the task and probably a waste of a totl dap.

i did consider the x3iii but it is not android (so no apps like foobar) and the UI is tedious to use compared with the X7.

Cheaper and smaller the better!

Any ideas?

Apr 22, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #36,169 of 42,765
Hi folks, i was listening and the Mojo just went dead. It was plugged in for charging whle playing and went dead after 15 minutes. Thinking it was a thermal ahut down, let it cool down but still remains dead. Plugging in the charger, light light comes on but shut down again in 10 minutes again. Disconnect charger, and the Mojo feels hot for the 10 minutes i left the charger on.

Please kindly offer some advice as i was not able to get much information after going thru the thread. Thanks in advance.
Hello Leo,
Thermal shutdown has been discussed many times on the thread, and the key posts copied to the FAQ in post #3.
For instance:
"mojo ideas said:
Mojo actually has three independant thermal cut outs a special high temperature battery and very sophisticated charging circuitry . Picking up on an earlier post Mojo actually does not dissipate a lot of heat when it's working. It's only about 1.7 watts and when it's charging it adds about another watt so its not much really. However the electronics and battery are thermally bonded to the aluminium case. The Mojo's case can only shed its heat through convection or by radiating it away. This can only work if there is a temperature differential between itself and its ambient surroundings if there is an insufficient gradient between them, the Mojos temperature will rise until there is a large enough difference to pass its heat to the air surrounding it.
If it is prevented from doing this perhaps by being insulated I some way it's temperature will rise until one of the three shut down trips operate. note the battery is safe to 150 degrees and the trips all operate up to a hundred degrees lower. Therefore it's perfectly safe. In fact if it's feeling mildly hot at first to your hand. Your hand alone will easily soon bring the unit down to a reasonable temperature."

So:
  • listening to music generates 1.7W
  • charging from red ball, generates another 1 W
  • trickle charging from blue ball, generates just 107 mW
Mojo will always run hottest if you are charging and listening at the same time.
The actual temperature reached inside Mojo will be dependent on how easily this 2.7 W can be dissipated through the case.

Two factors which make it more difficult to dissipate this heat, are:
  • Is the Mojo wearing a case
  • Is the local ambient temperature very high (this has caused thermal shutdowns for some users based in hot regions, including Singapore, Dubai, Hong Kong)
So the best advice is to let the mojo fully charge in a cool room.
If you want to charge and listen, it is always best to do this with the blue ball.

Apr 22, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #36,170 of 42,765
Hi miketise, thanks for the link. I did read thru post 3 but was trying to figure out if such shutdowns experienced by any of our fellow membrs as mine is completely dead now.

Apr 22, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #36,171 of 42,765
I am looking for a (preferably android) transport with coax or optical to use with the mojo, at present i use a fiio x7/am2 and this is rather large for the task and probably a waste of a totl dap.

i did consider the x3iii but it is not android (so no apps like foobar) and the UI is tedious to use compared with the X7.

Cheaper and smaller the better!

Any ideas?
I am backing the HiBy R3 on Kickstarter. It's not using Android, but supposedly has a very nice touch screen user interface.
It can also be remote controlled from the HiBy App on iOS or Android, and supports Tidal. Size is almost exactly the same as Mojo, just thinner, so that it should stack well with it to form a 40mm "sound brick", but I have to hold it in hands to see how it will best pair with the Mojo and still leave access to all the controls.

For connecting I have ordered the Shanling USB-C to micro USB cable and keep my fingers crossed that this will work.

Attention - the Kickstarter Campaign will end on April 26!

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #36,172 of 42,765
Hi miketise, thanks for the link. I did read thru post 3 but was trying to figure out if such shutdowns experienced by any of our fellow membrs as mine is completely dead now.

Although there might be a fault, can I first ask you to clarify, in line with the stuff Mike quoted,

...are you definitely now trying to charge your Mojo without trying to listen to it at the same time?

Apr 22, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #36,173 of 42,765

1) Ensure that the battery status LED is glowing steadily (not flashing) when the charger is connected. If the LED is flashing, it means that you need a charger rated for at least 2A.
2) Let it charge for at least 24 hours. If the issue persists after 24 hours of charging, then you need to change the battery.

Known issue: Failure of battery if it is always connected to the charger over long periods of time.

Apr 22, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #36,174 of 42,765
1) Ensure that the battery status LED is glowing steadily (not flashing) when the charger is connected. If the LED is flashing, it means that you need a charger rated for at least 2A.
2) Let it charge for at least 24 hours. If the issue persists after 24 hours of charging, then you need to change the battery.

Known issue: Failure of battery if it is always connected to the charger over long periods of time.

Hi calbu. I've used the same charger espicially bought to be used with the Mojo. Light was solid white when I plugged in before using. I am cautious to leave it charging for 24 hours as it was getting hotter than i remembered (compared to being used with charger plugged in) barely10 mins with the charger plugged in after that.

Although there might be a fault, can I first ask you to clarify, in line with the stuff Mike quoted,

...are you definitely now trying to charge your Mojo without trying to listen to it at the same time?

No Mython. After the shutdown, I only plugged in the charger after the unit cooled down to confirm the charge level. White light came on and left it sitting but was not able to turn on the unit anymore. The white light went off after about 10 mins and the unit was much hotter than I remembered when it was in use with charger plugged in.

Thanks for the thoughts and maybe I should also mention here my usual usage pattern for a clearer picture. I would use Mojo after a full charge before connecting it my tablet and the charger remains connected. Charger disconnected once i'm done listening. I have always used it in the same location and have never encountered shutdown before today. It's a sad day for me as I really enjoyed the Mojo (by far the best I could afford at this point of time) in the chain with my powered monitors. As i was tied up with a new projject for the last couple of months, I rarely had the chance to listen to it and the last before today was about 2 months back. And I've just checked my invoice and it just passed the warranty period by a month. Haha, tough luck.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #36,175 of 42,765
Hi calbu. I've used the same charger espicially bought to be used with the Mojo. Light was solid white when I plugged in before using. I am cautious to leave it charging for 24 hours as it was getting hotter than i remembered (compared to being used with charger plugged in) barely10 mins with the charger plugged in after that.

No Mython. After the shutdown, I only plugged in the charger after the unit cooled down to confirm the charge level. White light came on and left it sitting but was not able to turn on the unit anymore. The white light went off after about 10 mins and the unit was much hotter than I remembered when it was in use with charger plugged in.

Thanks for the thoughts and maybe I should also mention here my usual usage pattern for a clearer picture. I would use Mojo after a full charge before connecting it my tablet and the charger remains connected. Charger disconnected once i'm done listening. I have always used it in the same location and have never encountered shutdown before today. It's a sad day for me as I really enjoyed the Mojo (by far the best I could afford at this point of time) in the chain with my powered monitors. As i was tied up with a new projject for the last couple of months, I rarely had the chance to listen to it and the last before today was about 2 months back. And I've just checked my invoice and it just passed the warranty period by a month. Haha, tough luck.

Leo, it looks like we have now managed to eliminate the simplest possible root causes.
It does feel like this is either a battery issue, or maybe an issue with the battery charging circuitry. @Mojo ideas has posted before that most of the Mojos that were returned with battery issues, turned out to have perfect batteries, but instead were suffering from a fault within the charging circuit.
Many times on this thread, Chord have gone the extra mile, to try and support Mojo owners who experience issues, so don't despair because your Mojo is just out of warranty.
I suggest send a PM describing your issue, plus the serial number of your Mojo, to either @Mojo ideas or @Matt Bartlett.
They should be able to advise you regarding the best way forward. :slight_smile:

Apr 22, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #36,176 of 42,765
Leo, it looks like we have now managed to eliminate the simplest possible root causes.
It does feel like this is either a battery issue, or maybe an issue with the battery charging circuitry. @Mojo ideas has posted before that most of the Mojos that were returned with battery issues, turned out to have perfect batteries, but instead were suffering from a fault within the charging circuit.
Many times on this thread, Chord have gone the extra mile, to try and support Mojo owners who experience issues, so don't despair because your Mojo is just out of warranty.
I suggest send a PM describing your issue, plus the serial number of your Mojo, to either @Mojo ideas or @Matt Bartlett.
They should be able to advise you regarding the best way forward. :slight_smile:

Thanks you maketise, I have send a mail to the local agent here and will follow up with a mail to the parties you have put forth and see what can be done. As it is now, my Mojo is dead. I can't wake it up now and trying to charge is not advisable as it gets really hot within 10 mins or so.

And I thought I had a week or so to have more time with it before my next assignment picks up in 2 weeks time. Haha.

Apr 22, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #36,177 of 42,765
I bet it is a typo but just for clarification Hiby R3 will NOT run Android. They have put their own Hiby OS in it which is Linux based. I bet they worked so hard to build their OS. It should be way easier if they decided to put another sheitty Android OS. I really appreciate it. The Hiby OS looks like a snappy one which is a huge advantage over crappy Android OSes which many companies use for their current DAPs.

Apr 22, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #36,178 of 42,765
I bet it is a typo but just for clarification Hiby R3 will NOT run Android. They have put their own Hiby OS in it which is Linux based. I bet they worked so hard to build their OS. It should be way easier if they decided to put another sheitty Android OS. I really appreciate it. The Hiby OS looks like a snappy one which is a huge advantage over crappy Android OSes which many companies use for their current DAPs.
Surely Android was originally based on Linux as well.

Apr 22, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #36,179 of 42,765
You are right, it was a typo. Thanks for pointing that out! (I corrected the typo)
PS: I agree with your view on UI...

Apr 22, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #36,180 of 42,765
You are right, it was a typo. Thanks for pointing that out! (I corrected the typo)
PS: I agree with your view on UI...
I think that it is interesting that Shanling, who had initially been using Hiby as their operating software, then updated to HibyLink, have now announced that they are developing their own OS. Maybe that is the way forward - companies initially use other companies OS, to reduce their development costs, but eventually develop their own OS because it gives them full control over the functionality offered by the OS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back