Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 25, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #35,717 of 42,765
Question for Rob.

Rob, please, I'd need you shed some light.
In the Support forum of JRiver Media Center I created a thread because I do know you said these words:
"It is always better to give Mojo bit perfect files and let Mojo do the work, as the processing within Mojo is much more complex and sophisticated than a mobile or PC.

So when you have an app that has a volume control, and no bit perfect setting, then set it to full volume on the app on the assumption that this will keep the data closer to the original file.

The volume control function on Mojo is much more sophisticated than the PC as I employ noise shaping and I do the function at a very high internal sample rate. Hopefully using the volume set to max on the app will mean the volume coefficient is 1.0000000... so it will return the original data.
"

Actually I did notice an audible difference when I disabled any volume Handling from within the app.
I stressed out that Mojo (and Hugo as well) does need to be fed by a bitperfect stream AND to handle itself volume.

But that app by default outputs every PCM as 32bit by means of padding: i.e. 16bit and 24bit are padded on the fly by that app to 32bit.

I was told that the audio content is just the same but I replied that if this may help lower grade DACs by avoiding delays in mode switching, it is no longer feeding Mojo in bitperfect mode.

I need your point of view about that, please

Thanks in advance

Mar 26, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #35,720 of 42,765
Question for Rob.

Rob, please, I'd need you shed some light.
In the Support forum of JRiver Media Center I created a thread because I do know you said these words:
"It is always better to give Mojo bit perfect files and let Mojo do the work, as the processing within Mojo is much more complex and sophisticated than a mobile or PC.

So when you have an app that has a volume control, and no bit perfect setting, then set it to full volume on the app on the assumption that this will keep the data closer to the original file.

The volume control function on Mojo is much more sophisticated than the PC as I employ noise shaping and I do the function at a very high internal sample rate. Hopefully using the volume set to max on the app will mean the volume coefficient is 1.0000000... so it will return the original data.
"

Actually I did notice an audible difference when I disabled any volume Handling from within the app.
I stressed out that Mojo (and Hugo as well) does need to be fed by a bitperfect stream AND to handle itself volume.

But that app by default outputs every PCM as 32bit by means of padding: i.e. 16bit and 24bit are padded on the fly by that app to 32bit.

I was told that the audio content is just the same but I replied that if this may help lower grade DACs by avoiding delays in mode switching, it is no longer feeding Mojo in bitperfect mode.

I need your point of view about that, please

Thanks in advance

Yes actually all USB data is 32 bit - even if the file is 16 bit - but the 16 LSB's are simply zero. So nothing to worry about there, they just simply extended the bit's by adding zeros.

Mar 26, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #35,721 of 42,765
Yes actually all USB data is 32 bit - even if the file is 16 bit - but the 16 LSB's are simply zero. So nothing to worry about there, they just simply extended the bit's by adding zeros.

Thanks Rob.

Two final questions: Mojo handles 32bit float as well? Does it upsample or oversample to 1.04MHz? What is the final freq. sent in analog domain?
I found audible differences BTW in that app -J River Mediacenter- using its Internal 64Float volume handling (at full signal) as opposed to disabling any volume and allowing Mojo to fully handle volume.
They argue it is a "placebo" difference the one I do hear :)

Mar 26, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #35,722 of 42,765
I recently bought a mojo and find the sound excellent, as people say it is as near analogue as portable digital is likely to get.

I have, however found that using usb otg from my x7 and usb from my laptop that any movement of the cables stops the audio (i have changed the usb cable but with little effect). The x7 also seems to lock up on occasion whether in fiio music mode or using android foobar mobile and both these issues are irritating to the point where i am contemplating returning the mojo (if the sound was not wonderful i would already have done so.

My question is has anyone had similar issues and solved them?

Mar 26, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #35,723 of 42,765
Does anyone know if I would be able to make a warranty claim within 1 year against broken usb/headphone sockets if they give? My mojo is barley 2 weeks old and the headphone sockets are making creaky sounds when the jack is taken in and out. I'm being really careful taking anything in or out but they seem fragile. I know some have made claims on battery failure but are broken sockets also covered?

Mar 26, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #35,724 of 42,765
Does anyone know if I would be able to make a warranty claim within 1 year against broken usb/headphone sockets if they give? My mojo is barley 2 weeks old and the headphone sockets are making creaky sounds when the jack is taken in and out. I'm being really careful taking anything in or out but they seem fragile. I know some have made claims on battery failure but are broken sockets also covered?
Such claims have been made successfully in the past.
My advice is to be honest with Chord when you describe how you use the Mojo.
There was one famous case on this thread, where the owner stated that he was very careful with his Mojo, but then posted photos showing the usb sockets completely ripped from the circuit board - and that would have taken some force.
Understandably @Mojo ideas was not amused, but I think the repair was eventually sorted out ok. :relaxed:

Mar 26, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #35,725 of 42,765
Such claims have been made successfully in the past.
My advice is to be honest with Chord when you describe how you use the Mojo.
There was one famous case on this thread, where the owner stated that he was very careful with his Mojo, but then posted photos showing the usb sockets completely ripped from the circuit board - and that would have taken some force.
Understandably @Mojo ideas was not amused, but I think the repair was eventually sorted out ok. :relaxed:

I had a similar incident where my USB socket became dislodged and was floating inside the body of the Mojo. My unit was about six months old. Mitch at Chord suggested that I consult with one of two repair shops they recommend in the U.S. (as I'm the Washington DC area) I sent my Mojo to George Meyer AV in Los Angeles and the repair was fully covered by Chord.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #35,726 of 42,765
New headphone day for me:

The mojo, with it's two outputs, is perfect for comparing these two guys (Alclair RSM and Alclair Studio 4).

IMG_4233.JPG

Mar 29, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #35,728 of 42,765
Is there any plan to release a new version of the mojo within the next two years? I'm in the process of saving up for an upgrade and don't want to purchase the mojo only for the mojo 2 to be released soon after.

Personally I think the mojo will have a minimum 5 year run before it’s updated and then after that we might see something with specs close to Hugo2 in Mojos size and then obviously soon after Hugo3 would follow to push the portable benchmark even higher.

Mar 29, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #35,730 of 42,765
Personally I think the mojo will have a minimum 5 year run before it’s updated and then after that we might see something with specs close to Hugo2 in Mojos size and then obviously soon after Hugo3 would follow to push the portable benchmark even higher.
If so I'll upgrade, currently very happy with Mojo in my portable rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back