Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 21, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #35,701 of 42,765
20171126_154202.jpg

Mar 22, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #35,702 of 42,765
Yesterday I made some tests between USB and coaxial input of the Mojo.
I will start with the sources :
1. iPhone 6s and Kaisertone app; the cables used was Lightning to USB Camera Adapter and Moon Audio Silver Dragon USB cable.
2. MacBook Pro mid 2012 and Audirvana Plus; the cable used was Moon Audio Silver Dragon USB cable with Audioquest Jitterbug.
3. DAP Fiio X5- first generation; cable used Moon Audio Black Dragon mini coaxial cable.

The DAC and headphone amplifier: Chord Mojo.

The IEM and Earphones used:
1. Echobox Finder X1 with Comply tips T400
2. Chord&Major 8'13 Rock with Comply tips T200
3. VE Monk Plus.

I used ONLY wav, flac, alac files; examples Roger Waters The wall 24/48 wav, Audiogon The wake up yours ears sampler 24/192 wav.
I started to compare the same music files from iPhone and MacBook Pro; MacBook Pro sound better, the presentation of the instruments were more spatial, the bass more controlled.
Then I switched the source with X5 coaxial and surprise; a LOT better sound than before, the voices were natural and precise located, the highs were not edgy at all, the soundstage was larger, the music was more dynamic.
IMG_4200.JPG

Mar 23, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #35,703 of 42,765
I am thinking of getting the Mojo (or possibly Fiio Q5 due to all the interference issues I am hearing about). I would be using the Mojo with my iPhone 6, not in airplane mode. Are there any shielded cables you would recommend for use with an iPhone? How bad is the interference with an iPhone, not in airplane mode, using shielded lightning cable? Been reading through this long A@@ thread :) Is the interference blown out of proportion, or is it pretty prevalent?

Mar 23, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #35,704 of 42,765
I am thinking of getting the Mojo (or possibly Fiio Q5 due to all the interference issues I am hearing about). I would be using the Mojo with my iPhone 6, not in airplane mode. Are there any shielded cables you would recommend for use with an iPhone? How bad is the interference with an iPhone, not in airplane mode, using shielded lightning cable? Been reading through this long A@@ thread :) Is the interference blown out of proportion, or is it pretty prevalent?

It all depends on your signal strength, the network you are on, etc., which is why there is no real consensus. For example, I only get EMI noise on 3g and not on LTE. For others it’s the opposite, and yet others get cellular noise no matter what.

If deciding between Mojo and Q5 I’d suggest asking in the Q5 thread if anyone uses their smartphone connected to the Q5 (as opposed to a DAP) and if they get cellular interference (noise, pops, clicks, etc.).

Mar 23, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #35,705 of 42,765
I second what @x RELIC x has posted.
Some users have no problems with an iphone, but others have issues.
The network and signal strength are important, so how far you live from your cell mast should be considered, because many phones will ramp up their signal strength if the signal from the cell mast is weak.

Mar 24, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #35,706 of 42,765
I had a similar feeling when I first heard the Mojo, but unlike you it had me insanely curious to try the TOTL DAVE when it was released. Needless to say I’ve gone down the rabbit hole since then.

Regarding EMI from the phone chances are that cables or ferrites may not eliminate it, unfortunately. Cellular signals are very strong and can be picked up even through the headphone cable - as I’ve discovered when testing. The only surefire way to get around it is to use ‘airplane’ mode on your smartphone or use a dedicated DAP (which obviously has no cellular antennae) to connect to the Mojo. I’ve read about other devices like the WA8, OPPO HA-2, CDM, FiiO Q5 have all had posts regarding smartphone cellular interference as well so it’s not just Mojo but a downside to using a device which has strong cellular signals very near audio gear.

Regardless, if you find something that reduces or eliminates the EMI I’m sure the forum would like to read about it.

I do not understand why I do get neither EMI nor any other noise from the cellphone jack straight out, but lots of it when the cell reception is on and Mojo connected with USB. Any explanations?

Mar 24, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #35,707 of 42,765
I do not understand why I do get neither EMI nor any other noise from the cellphone jack straight out, but lots of it when the cell reception is on and Mojo connected with USB. Any explanations?
when cell reception is on, your phone will be transmitting to the cell mast, and some of these transmissions will be picked up by the usb cable acting as an antenna.

Mar 24, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #35,708 of 42,765
Those of you that use iphones with the mojo, do you think I can use this adapter (image) to connect my CCK cable to the mojo, so that I have a shorter connection (1 cable instead of two)?

Attachments

• 6EF8851A-C194-4DB0-89B1-5F4624549DC5.png
    6EF8851A-C194-4DB0-89B1-5F4624549DC5.png
    805.4 KB · Views: 0
Mar 24, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #35,711 of 42,765
Those of you that use iphones with the mojo, do you think I can use this adapter (image) to connect my CCK cable to the mojo, so that I have a shorter connection (1 cable instead of two)?

I don’t think this would work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back