Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 23, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #35,238 of 42,765
Are you sure it’s an authentic CCK? There are clones that look exactly like the real thing.

I use lightning to micro USB cables. They are much more convenient, cheaper, and last just a long.

Yep, same cable ive been using since last year straight from the apple store (latest model). There is a chance this cable could be “bad” now, but i highly doubt it considering the history of shoddy ios updates that apple releases. I had it replaced mid last year by apple only to find it was an iOS 10 issue, so its a fairly new cable. Is anyone here running the latest ios version without issues?

Jan 23, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #35,239 of 42,765
Yep, same cable ive been using since last year straight from the apple store (latest model).

My new version CCK on iOS 11.2.2 with an iPhone 7 Plus still working. But the old version just stoped working for me last week.

I’ve had two other CCKs (yes, in total 3) stop working for no reason. I for sure won’t buy them anymore. Seen I have better luck with the Chinese lighting to USB cables. You can find them for $10. They even work with my Aurender FLOW.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #35,240 of 42,765
My new version CCK on iOS 11.2.2 with an iPhone 7 Plus still working. But the old version just stoped working for me last week.

I’ve had two other CCKs (yes, in total 3) stop working for no reason. I for sure won’t buy them anymore. Seen I have better luck with the Chinese lighting to USB cables. You can find them for $10. They even work with my Aurender FLOW.

Ill swing by the apple store to get an exchange today and see if it helps. I hope it is not an iphone x specific issue

Jan 23, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #35,241 of 42,765
Am I right in saying that the Chord Mojo is totally immune to the quality of the source/transport (if at least half-decent) - like for instance - if I use the simple little Google Chromecast Audio via its toslink? I am close to spending good money on an sMS-200 Ultra which is renowned as an excellent source (a 'game changer' some say) - but if Chord DACs do not respond (due to they way they are specifically designed) to the higher end quality transport with femto clocks then I may as well stick with the CCA! (Or perhaps I 'may' upgrade to the Aries Mini simply because of the UI).

Additional do this, does the Mojo respond to high quality linear power supplies?

There's so much talk about money spent upstream of the DAC int terms of transport and PSU, if however this is certainly unnecessary "for sure", the CCA does everything I need it to.

I suggest you read this review from Darko:

https://darko.audio/2016/07/not-as-the-artist-intended-google-chromecast-audio-w-tidal/

Unfortunalty it looks like the GCA has some issues of it's own..

"Despite the electrical isolation of a TOSLINK connection, the Google puck serves up more treble glare than an unmodified Sonos Connect. Playing catch on an Airplay stream, the 3rd Generation Apple TV sounds better."

There is also mention of a lack of gapeless playback if that's important to you. Since it uses custom software we cannot even be sure it plays audio bitperfectly so there might be some compromise there.

A while back I was looking at the GCA myself but all these compromises held me back. The device is cheap as hell that's for sure. So if you wanna buy it, try it, and return it using a reputable store that's also an option.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #35,242 of 42,765
I would like the Chord 2Qute, but 3V output just seems a little high - I can of course see if that is the case.

The latest iteration of the 2Qute was announced at CES 2018, the Qutest. You can select 1V, 2V, or 3V output. It also has the Hugo2 DAC so it’s quite a nice update.

Jan 23, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #35,243 of 42,765
I'm still having a ton of issues with iOS 11 with the chord mojo on my iPhone X. I keep getting a 'accessory not supported by this iphone' error. It happens when the CCK alone is plugged in, even without my mojo OR my dragonfly red.

I am pretty certain the latest update nuked the apple CCK if you look at the reviews of the cable currently.

Oh apple

Yep, same cable ive been using since last year straight from the apple store (latest model). There is a chance this cable could be “bad” now, but i highly doubt it considering the history of shoddy ios updates that apple releases. I had it replaced mid last year by apple only to find it was an iOS 10 issue, so its a fairly new cable. Is anyone here running the latest ios version without issues?

Yes, although iOS betas (and even recent full-release iOS 11) can (and often do) break external DAC functionality from iDevices, there are plenty of people successfully using iOS 11 with Mojo and other external DACs, in recent weeks.

On the other hand, there are numerous examples (not just in this thread) of genuine Apple CCKs becoming faulty, with all sorts of confusion, disbelief, misappropriated blame to other devices, etc. etc., only for people to eventually realise that, yes, genuine Apple CCKs really do sometimes develop faults.

In short, since iOS 11 is currently working well for many people with external DACs, your first port of call should be to an Apple store, to try a new CCK.

I hope this works for you (I suspect it will), and please let us know how you get on, either way!
cheers beerchug EMOTICON.gif

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #35,244 of 42,765
Anyone using a Fidelio X2 with a Mojo and if so - how does it synergize?
I have the X2HR and love the synergy between the Mojo and it. Bass is taunt and punchy, mids have very good presence and not to forward, the treble has very good clarity. In my opinion, they are a very good match for each other.

Jan 23, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #35,245 of 42,765
Well this is VERY important to me. I've been chasing the idea that a high quality transport such as the sMS-200 Ultra's are "superb" - but why spend money on one when - in terms of the Chord Mojo at least - it won't make a blind bit of difference between using a lowly (but competent) CCA or a souped up sMS-200.

However if this is true (which is excellent btw) then I will be locked into using Chord DACs because these are perhaps the only DACs on the market that do not upgrade their performance with better upstream foundation. I would like the Chord 2Qute, but 3V output just seems a little high - I can of course see if that is the case.

Point is conclusively - the CCA is as good as any front end transport 'irrespective of price' when tethered to a Chord!!

Then the Chord Qutest, (the new model of the 2Qute), would suit you. It has output variable to 1V, 2V, or 3V. ... Three volts isn't that high though, for a lot of amplifiers in the price range of the 2Qute. .. They seem to operate at about 3V to 5V. Cheaper amplifiers like the Marantz PM6006 are set to 2.25V I think, or 2.5V. Mostly that information can be found on the manufacturers website, and by downloading the manual from there.

I have the £600 Rega Brio (2017) , and it is specified for up to 10V on line level in.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #35,246 of 42,765
Yes, although iOS betas (and even recent full-release iOS 11) can (and often do) break external DAC functionality from iDevices, there are plenty of people successfully using iOS 11 with Mojo and other external DACs, in recent weeks.

On the other hand, there are numerous examples (not just in this thread) of genuine Apple CCKs becoming faulty, with all sorts of confusion, disbelief, misappropriated blame to other devices, etc. etc., only for people to eventually realise that, yes, genuine Apple CCKs really do sometimes develop faults.

In short, since iOS 11 is currently working well for many people with external DACs, your first port of call should be to an Apple store, to try a new CCK.

I hope this works for you (I suspect it will), and please let us know how you get on, either way!

It is my experience that the Apple CCK cable lasts a few months before it gives out. Apple will cover it for a year, so just mark the date of purchase and seek a replacement if it breaks within the first year. The Apple warranty applies no matter where you purchased the CCK.

Jan 25, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #35,247 of 42,765
anyone ever used their chord mojo as part of a tv/headphones setup?

i am considering buying a nice pair of bluetooth cans (b&w px, sony 1000x md2) for late night
tv listening (my lg oled has bluetooth pairing abilities)...

but i first thought to save some $$$ and try an optical out from
my tv into the chord mojo then into my massdrop fostex thx ebony cans first.
i emailed chord, they said it would work...
just wondering if anyone is using their mojo in this manner too?

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #35,248 of 42,765

i posted on this much earlier: apple's cck are not the most robust...i was using it with my ipod touch/mojo/extender.
and then swapping it out with a dragonfly red...the CCK doesn't like to be folded, unfolded much it seems.
so now i keep the cck in a bent position even when removing the mojo, with an elastic holding it in place.
so what i thought was an ios update was instead the cck dropping out due to the connection being broken inside.

i'd be careful of the cheap asian cables...i tried that route, too...didn't fit into my mojo extender (if you have one)
and the quality can suck....i took my broken cck cable back to apple almost a yr later...got a new one replacement for free.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #35,249 of 42,765
anyone ever used their chord mojo as part of a tv/headphones setup?

i am considering buying a nice pair of bluetooth cans (b&w px, sony 1000x md2) for late night
tv listening (my lg oled has bluetooth pairing abilities)...

but i first thought to save some $$$ and try an optical out from
my tv into the chord mojo then into my massdrop fostex thx ebony cans first.
i emailed chord, they said it would work...
just wondering if anyone is using their mojo in this manner too?

I have used my LG TV in that configuration with my Mojo. It works great. The only glitch I found is that there is a delay in the audio restarting when you pause something playing on the TV so you miss a bit of the dialogue. It's related to the optical output on the TV as it happens with my external speakers which also operate via optical output. I've since gotten a Poly and now just use the bluetooth feature on Poly/Mojo for my late night listening.

Jan 25, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #35,250 of 42,765
I have used my LG TV in that configuration with my Mojo. It works great. The only glitch I found is that there is a delay in the audio restarting when you pause something playing on the TV so you miss a bit of the dialogue. It's related to the optical output on the TV as it happens with my external speakers which also operate via optical output. I've since gotten a Poly and now just use the bluetooth feature on Poly/Mojo for my late night listening.

many thanks for this! saves me cash outlay for now (i've already spent alot as it is on upgrading to new gear: a new lg oled tv (getting it professionally calibrated this wkend),
kef ls50w white speakers, matching white stands, svs sb2000 white subwoofer, yamaha yas 207 sound bar etc)..that's most of my vacation money spent for this yr, lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back