Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 4, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #34,021 of 42,765
Screenshot_20171004-182347.jpg
Try uninstalling UAPP and restart your phone. Do the same with the Chord drivers on your windows pc.
If there is a red light when you plug in your phone that means a handshake between Mojo and the connected device has just been established.
Drivers could sometimes mess with the handshake so it makes sense to reinstall them if things aren't working.

Just did, doeebt work, the Mojo behaves the same way, in pc it doesn't even pull it up that there is something in Thr usb port.

Android gives me these options

Oct 4, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #34,023 of 42,765

Just did, doeebt work, the Mojo behaves the same way, in pc it doesn't even pull it up that there is something in Thr usb port.

Android gives me these options

Still sounds like it might be a dodgy USB cable, or USB connector on the Mojo. Could also be that for internal battery is kaput and not holding enough charge to power Mojo properly, even when fully charged...Can't you rule the former out, by using TOSLINK with another source? That would at least begin to narrow down problem, but chances are you will have to return to chord in any event...i really can't see this being an expensive repair, unless you have water damaged it or something like that... Ive dropped my mojo a million times without problem, and there are no reliability issues which I am aware of, so they are pretty hardy little things, not likely to just develop a major fault, without obvious cause...

More likely to be something simple... But no less annoying for that!

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #34,024 of 42,765
Still sounds like it might be a dodgy USB cable, or USB connector on the Mojo. Could also be that for internal battery is kaput and not holding enough charge to power Mojo properly, even when fully charged...Can't you rule the former out, by using TOSLINK with another source? That would at least begin to narrow down problem, but chances are you will have to return to chord in any event...i really can't see this being an expensive repair, unless you have water damaged it or something like that... Ive dropped my mojo a million times without problem, and there are no reliability issues which I am aware of, so they are pretty hardy little things, not likely to just develop a major fault, without obvious cause...

More likely to be something simple... But no less annoying for that!

I have optical cable, but I have nothing to connect to. My TV is it. Would thay work?

Oct 4, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #34,027 of 42,765
You don't use an OTG cable to your laptop. Use a regular usb cable.

Yes for laptop just q normal cable, but for smartphone I use otg. But no music playing. Jeez... How much will it cost to fix? And who knows how long it takes to get back to me.

Oct 4, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #34,028 of 42,765
I found, when comparing DAVE and Hugo TT, that at higher listening levels bass would sound very slightly "phat" on TT versus DAVE at the same level, playing into HD 800 S. Turning down the volume on both, the phatness disappeared from TT.

So, while TT theoretically has far more power and voltage swing than HD 800 S needs, it turns out that it's still possible to hear distortion at higher listening levels (not insane, about -22dB on DAVE, I don't know what colours that is on Mojo). Normally an amplifier's power is specified along with distortion, e.g. 0.1%. Distortion rises with increasing loudness and Chord's cheaper DACs with headphone output will be heard producing more distortion than expected at normal levels. DAVE, despite being more powerful, probably does have comparatively audible distortion with the trickiest, hardest to drive, headphones, even if it doesn't clip.

Before I did a proper comparison, I swore blind that TT is powerful enough for HD 800 S based on the specifications. Now I prefer to post occasional reminders that the power/distortion specifications are misleading. Mojo has about the same power/distortion ratings as Hugo TT.

My friend's Mojo sounds absolutely awesome driving HD 650s, for what it's worth. You have to spend thousands of dollars to get a worthwhile upgrade on that...

I've mentioned many times before that, with the HD 800, the differences I heard between the Mojo and $4,300 430HAD (which can output up to 8W at 50 ohms) were so small that I wouldn't be able to say what they were without a direct comparison. I got no noticeable distortion with the Mojo driving the HD 800 and all sorts of other headphones at high SPL.

The Mojo's listed THD is 0.00017%. That's absurdly low. I would be interested in seeing objective evidence for distortion caused by Chord's DAC/amps as opposed to the headphones themselves.

(Bass naturally sounds "phatter" and more powerful when you turn up the volume, anyway.)

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #34,030 of 42,765
I tried it, it worked. Otg cable to laptop or smartphone still doesn't work. Thr power button colors up but that's all... Idk what to do. Depressing

You tried what? The optical cable? If so, just buy a new USB/otg cable. If problem still exists it's probably dodgy micro usb connector on Mojo. Would be pennies to fix... If you don't mind voiding your warranty, any decent electrical repairer could do the job, if you're not confident doing it yourself...personally, I would send it to chord for the peace of mind, and just suck it up that you will be without it for a while... Or use something like this, recently recommended to me on this forum:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32499738639.html#autostay

Which isolates and converts your noisy usb signal to an optical one, creating cleaner, more dynamic sound (at least, it worked in my system)... Many more expensive examples of the same equipment available online...

Then you wouldn't ever need your USB connection on your Mojo. I never use mine, anymore...

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #34,031 of 42,765
You tried what? The optical cable? If so, just buy a new USB/otg cable. If problem still exists it's probably dodgy micro usb connector on Mojo. Would be pennies to fix... If you don't mind voiding your warranty, any decent electrical repairer could do the job, if you're not confident doing it yourself...personally, I would send it to chord for the peace of mind, and just suck it up that you will be without it for a while... Or use something like this, recently recommended to me on this forum:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32499738639.html#autostay

Which isolates and converts your noisy usb signal to an optical one, creating cleaner, more dynamic sound (at least, it worked in my system)... Many more expensive examples of the same equipment available online...

Then you wouldn't ever need your USB connection on your Mojo. I never use mine, anymore...
How is that decoder going to help him when he mainly uses his stuff as a portable device?

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #34,033 of 42,765
Yep...Only works with pc. So he would have to use his PC, and have to stomach NOT using his portable device, unless he fixes the problem, which he doesn't seem inclined to do. Simple. What would you suggest?
Since he mainly listens with his mojo connected to his phone. If I were him I'd take the money he'd spend on what you suggested and put it towards repairing his mojo if it is indeed defective.

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #34,035 of 42,765
I purchased a new OTG on Amazon gets here Friday, if thay doesn't fix it I'll send it in to chord. The biggest issue with sending it in is that it will take a while... Till I get it back.

I guess either way I will have to do without Mojo. I wish I had something that could fill thr void. Ever since the Mojo started to act up (unless it's my cable) I have just not listened to music at all. Straight out of the phone is poop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back