Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 31, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #3,271 of 42,765
The feedback from the buttons is fine. I also agree with headwhacker's point about iPhone use, it is cumbersome if the units are stacked, largely due to the clunkiness of the CCK and the USB cable that Chord provide. I'm looking forward as to how the expected add-on module from Chord helps.

Let's hope that one of the add-on modules will be a Mi-Fi certified unit needing a single short lightning cable to interface to an iDevice, in a way that should be easier to obtain not having to delay the release of the main unit( Mojo).

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #3,272 of 42,765
I suspect it is for diagnostics purposes (and perhaps also for writing to the FPGA), but I'm only guessing.

You could try removing your car stereo head unit, and plugging the ribbon cable into the Mojo socket you've photographed, to see what happens! :D

My guess is you'll get deafening... silence... :wink:

I think your guess is spot on, some serious electronics builders tend to provide service ports to diagnose the unit. If that's what it is, those guys are definitively serious hardware builders.

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #3,273 of 42,765
This is one thing I like about Chord designs, the lack of an amp section and directly driving the line outs. If I wanted to build a combination, I believe the Mojo + Cavalli Carbon HA would be a heck of a setup even if one does not want to have a portable element but you have to crack a little smile thinking that you are also gaining portability on the DAC side.

What do you think of the button implementation on the Mojo, how easy is it to handle while on the move and is a stack using a hi-res player connected to the Mojo worth it?

I have tried the Mojo with a very fine external amp and feel the signal degrades. With the Hugo I don't get this. I am not sure why one does well and one does not. 

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #3,274 of 42,765
Anyone compared full glass optical toslink to plastic fiber toslink, which is better sounding.
I have the Audioquest Forest Toslink which made of fibre which sounds good (ak240 as transport) and support higher bit rate.
My full glass toslink sounds better (details, more darker background) but higher bit rate not supported.

V1xzRm7.jpg

What plastic and type of cable are you comparing to?

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #3,276 of 42,765

Its the programming port so the FPGA flash can be re-programmed.

Rob

Thanks - you should know
redface.gif

p.s. - I tried to get you 50% bonus but John Franks didn't bite
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread/3075#post_12037057

Well done on a great product!

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #3,278 of 42,765
Yes best to trust your ears - that's what I do and why I sold my Cowon P1 very cheap 2 days ago

You know I was referring to transport to MoJo only - so I stand by my comment that iPhone/Android mobile phone is still a great transport for MoJo

Still like the Questyle on its own - so keeping that one, for now...

Anyway back to the MoJo - if you don't have one yet - what are you waiting for

Yes,ive confused you sorry, I have the Mojo, I think Sony zx100 is better than AK100ii,soundwise into Mojo,Sony is more potent and energetic, powerfull, im not talking loudness,very clear audio into the Mojo.
I have ordered Questyle too, I wanted to use its optical, but it seems its not great, tho no one said specifically whats not so good about it, I assume its sound not so good out of optical as its from its ho.

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #3,279 of 42,765
I just received my Mojo from the launch about 8 hours ago, and it has gone through a complete charge.

While playing with it via coaxial out from my DAP, I noticed the dreaded "hissing" in both my IEMs and when putting my ears next to the Mojo.

It persisted despite powering on and off a few times, and it finally went away. But it came back shortly. I also noticed the hissing when charging the Mojo (which was switched off) with my Anker battery pack.

Is it supposed to hiss when charging? (I didn't pay attention to this during my first round of charging.)

I can hear a faint hiss when charging. This hissing becomes slightly louder after powering on the unit. The hiss goes away when I press any of the volume buttons after powering on. And I can enjoy my music after that.

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #3,280 of 42,765
Correct, the Questyle is clinical by nature, and that doesn't transfer so well into the musical nature of the Mojo...

Still loving everything, the mastering of the Sars Barielles (sorry if that is spelt wrongly!) live album on HDTracks (via the AK120) has to be heard to be believed through the mighty little Mojo!

Still happy times, normally by now I'm truly over the honeymoon period, but it looks like me and Mojo will be spending a LOT of time together in the future :)

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #3,281 of 42,765
I just received my Mojo from the launch about 8 hours ago, and it has gone through a complete charge.

While playing with it via coaxial out from my DAP, I noticed the dreaded "hissing" in both my IEMs and when putting my ears next to the Mojo.

It persisted despite powering on and off a few times, and it finally went away. But it came back shortly. I also noticed the hissing when charging the Mojo (which was switched off) with my Anker battery pack.

Is it supposed to hiss when charging? (I didn't pay attention to this during my first round of charging.)

I can hear a faint hiss when charging. This hissing becomes slightly louder after powering on the unit. The hiss goes away when I press any of the volume buttons after powering on. And I can enjoy my music after that.

I have never heard any hissing and even used my stethoscope. I have read of a few that did and from what I read, they were exchanged. 

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #3,282 of 42,765

From the report:
"Under test, the optical input worked to 192kHz from our spectrum analyser, only occasionally becoming intermittent, but 192kHz music files did not play at all from my Astell&Kern AK120 over Chord's own short optical cable. This behaviour is common via optical S/PDIF because the cables and TOSLINK connectors cannot reliably support the data rate 192k imposes."

​I don't know where they get their information. I have zero problem with optical handling the 192 signal with no drop out and the 1300 fiber cable I use has the bandwidth to easily handle and transmit this signal. I use the toslink and mini connectors. They have some false data here. 

They're correct. With the HUGO's stock optical cable (short), 192 is not detected on MOJO from AK120 II.

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #3,284 of 42,765
Still no joy

Only the volume balls are lit up even when the unit is plugged into the mains, is that right ?

Cannot get the power on/off ball to light up

Duff unit ?
Possibly but very unlikely.
Does your Mojo run through its power up rainbow of colours on the power switch then go out.? if so there's nothing wrong and its waiting for an input. It will display a frequency colour when it gets one and if it doesn't go through its power up rainbow then it could be that for some reason it's not charging! Does the power charging USB show a white light when it's charging and a blue light when the unit is switched on? John F.

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #3,285 of 42,765
192 is registered with my separates set up feeding the mojo using my cheap amazon toslink cable (it was laying around spare, honest!!)
Likewise, my AK120 Titan worked fine straight away, I do wonder if it could be dirt on the optical sender that could be causing issues?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back