Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 8, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #32,596 of 42,765
This has been covered in this thread many times, either use airplane mode or separate the Mojo and phone. Yes it is annoying but most of us work around the problem.

That is... a terrible solution. For one, because I use Tidal and stream my music, for two, it means that if I want to use my Mojo, you're expecting me to render my phone useless as a phone.

Sorry, no. That's not some little minor problem. This is a big problem in design considering the Mojo is advertised as a smartphone device.

Jun 8, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #32,597 of 42,765
Try a different OTG and data cable.

Actually, they don't need to be connected. If my headphones are plugged into the Mojo and I rest my phone on it, the static sound happens regardless on if the phone and Mojo are connected.

Jun 8, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #32,598 of 42,765
Has anyone tried the iOS 11 beta to see if the cutout issue introduced in 10.3 is fixed?

Yes, it has been fixed as far as my tests go when using original apple cck cables - have had it playing for over 3 hours today and 2 hours yesterday without issues.
Unoriginal cables still do not work (reports "unsupported attachment" after 1-2 minutes of playback). A shame cause I have a home-made cable that was perfect for it.

However the current beta of iOS11 is quite buggy and I had many app crashes, so I wouldn't recommend it right now, maybe wait for the next beta. And the change of audio output has been hidden really well... took me forever to find.

Jun 8, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #32,599 of 42,765
That is... a terrible solution. For one, because I use Tidal and stream my music, for two, it means that if I want to use my Mojo, you're expecting me to render my phone useless as a phone.

Sorry, no. That's not some little minor problem. This is a big problem in design considering the Mojo is advertised as a smartphone device.

All the portable amp/dacs I tried have had this issue (Oppo HA-2, RHA Dacamp). With the Mojo it was worse, however I found out that by shielding the USB cable the noise pretty much disappeared (e.g. on an iPhone if you put your hand around the usb connector on the cck cable the "gsm" noise is completely gone). So you might want to try a really high quality cable...

Jun 8, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #32,600 of 42,765
All the portable amp/dacs I tried have had this issue (Oppo HA-2, RHA Dacamp). With the Mojo it was worse, however I found out that by shielding the USB cable the noise pretty much disappeared (e.g. on an iPhone if you put your hand around the usb connector on the cck cable the "gsm" noise is completely gone). So you might want to try a really high quality cable...
I wish. :/

Unfortunately, like I said, it seems to be internal to the Mojo itself. If the phone and Mojo are disconnected, but my headphones are in the Mojo, putting my phone near it makes the static sound pick up. Not an issue on the laptop, it's making me wonder if it's the phone specifically.

Jun 8, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #32,602 of 42,765
I had reported the iOS update not working with various 3rd party products, including but not limited to Chord. They finally "closed out" my ticket with:

Apple Developer Relations
June 8 2017, 3:32 PM
Engineering has provided the following information regarding this issue: Please note that this is not an MFi product. Here’s their website: http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/product/mojo-cable-pack/ It’s a headphone amplifier that uses the the lightning to USB camera adapter to connect via a usb adapter. If this is to work, the manufacturer will have to address the issue.

Jun 8, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #32,603 of 42,765
I had reported the iOS update not working with various 3rd party products, including but not limited to Chord. They finally "closed out" my ticket with:

Apple Developer Relations
June 8 2017, 3:32 PM
Engineering has provided the following information regarding this issue: Please note that this is not an MFi product. Here’s their website: http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/product/mojo-cable-pack/ It’s a headphone amplifier that uses the the lightning to USB camera adapter to connect via a usb adapter. If this is to work, the manufacturer will have to address the issue.

Point them the Oppo HA-2SE, which is MFI certified, as it's also having the same issues.

Jun 8, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #32,604 of 42,765
I wish. :/

Unfortunately, like I said, it seems to be internal to the Mojo itself. If the phone and Mojo are disconnected, but my headphones are in the Mojo, putting my phone near it makes the static sound pick up. Not an issue on the laptop, it's making me wonder if it's the phone specifically.

The cable is acting as antennae for the RFI/EMI from the cellular signal and that gets injected into the audio components in the Mojo. I've tested this with the same results as you.

Jun 8, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #32,606 of 42,765
The cable is acting as antennae for the RFI/EMI from the cellular signal and that gets injected into the audio components in the Mojo. I've tested this with the same results as you.

Hmmm. So would a better cable fix it? I'm not usually a pricey cable guy, but if we're talking RFI interference it's a legitimate issue.

Jun 8, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #32,607 of 42,765
Hmmm. So would a better cable fix it? I'm not usually a pricey cable guy, but if we're talking RFI interference it's a legitimate issue.

I really don't know, but I doubt it. It's physics, and the signal from cellular phones can be quite strong depending on the network and the strength of the signal. Practically the first 1000 pages of this thread has many reports of the same thing. I've also read plenty of the same thing in the Oppo HA-2 thread. I'm not trying to make excuses for the device but I don't see a way around it. Personally, I use a DAP with the Mojo and stream Tidal on WiFi without hearing any interference, but obviously that's not an option away from a WiFi network. Wish I had more solutions for you.

Jun 8, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #32,608 of 42,765
Hi guys,

Does anyone have an idea if a xiaomi redmi pro will work with a mojo? I've just bought a 128gb model to use as a transport.

It should work but thought I'd see if anyone had actually tried this combo

Cheers

Jun 8, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #32,609 of 42,765
I really don't know, but I doubt it. It's physics, and the signal from cellular phones can be quite strong depending on the network and the strength of the signal. Practically the first 1000 pages of this thread has many reports of the same thing. I've also read plenty of the same thing in the Oppo HA-2 thread. I'm not trying to make excuses for the device but I don't see a way around it. Personally, I use a DAP with the Mojo and stream Tidal on WiFi without hearing any interference, but obviously that's not an option away from a WiFi network. Wish I had more solutions for you.

That's really disheartening for a mobile dac/amp, to be honest.

Jun 8, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #32,610 of 42,765
Hi guys,

Does anyone have an idea if a xiaomi redmi pro will work with a mojo? I've just bought a 128gb model to use as a transport.

It should work but thought I'd see if anyone had actually tried this combo

Cheers

There is no reason why it should not work. It is an android phone so the android software will work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back