Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 30, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #32,026 of 42,765
@Tom Yum Goong
I'll let a few people answer because not everyones opinion is the same but to me, there is no other dap/dac under £1,000 that sounds better than the mojo. I've always said if chord made a mojo dap it would likely destroy every other dap but hey that's just what I hear. Let's put it this way some people that own AK380s use it as a transport for the mojo lol.

Apr 30, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #32,027 of 42,765
Yes I know, however the whine might be heard if you turn up your external amp.

Alternatively keep the mojo charged up as much as possible & disconnect the power during use.

I'm fighting this same issue, on Mojo #2 (sent the first one back because it was too loud). I've spent over $80 one cables, adapters, etc... to try and get rid of the whine. Nothing for me has worked yet. I'm considering getting an Anker PowerBankl and charge the Mojo from that while leaving the PowerBank plugged in. My other alternative is to try a Linear Power Supply that provides cleaner output. Lastly, of course, there is a Power conditioner. My main issue with all of these... why do I have to spend money to fix something that shouldn't have left the factory that way?

Apr 30, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #32,029 of 42,765
So just to understand, you people are getting the whine sound in the audio signal? I am just hearing it from the body of the Mojo. Tomorrow I will try with the Transparent Power Isolator. If nothing changes, I have ordered a small Anker charger. Will see if that combo makes a difference. That being said, as I quoted, according to Chord, there is no problem with the noise I'm hearing and it causes no issues.

Apr 30, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #32,030 of 42,765
But damn... compared to what I was listening to before, the Mojo coupled with my Hifiman HE560's makes my evening listening sessions SO much more enjoyable. Heavenly even given certain recordings. Last night was the unmastered version of Beck's Sea Change.

Apr 30, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #32,031 of 42,765
So just to understand, you people are getting the whine sound in the audio signal? I am just hearing it from the body of the Mojo. Tomorrow I will try with the Transparent Power Isolator. If nothing changes, I have ordered a small Anker charger. Will see if that combo makes a difference. That being said, as I quoted, according to Chord, there is no problem with the noise I'm hearing and it causes no issues.

I get a quiet whine on the last bit of trickle charge but its never interfered with the actual audio signal coming from the dac.

Apr 30, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #32,032 of 42,765

A few very early units had an unreasonable hiss/whine through the output which was unrelated to the charging whine. I had one such unit on the tour and it was fixed by Chord. I don't think there have been any of these units out in the wild for over a year.

Apr 30, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #32,035 of 42,765
Got it. So all agree that the little whine is no issue. Good to know.

And for how long the unit should last once fully charged if supplying the 3V line-level signal, any thoughts?

There seems to varying results. Typically I get 8-9 hours still (had my unit since launch), but I don't use the line level 3Vrms (line-out mode is nothing more than a volume preset that isn't remembered when the unit is powered off).

Also, it depends on the load that is on the other end. For high Voltage and low Current requirements (like a line-in to an amp) you'll actually get better battery life. For high Current and low Voltage requirements (like IEMs) the juice will drain faster, contrary to many misconceptions out there.

Apr 30, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #32,036 of 42,765
Considering buying this, would it sound good with a pair of HD-800's? The only amp I have for them at the moment is a Dragonfly v1.2, so I definitely need to upgrade. Thanks.

The Mojo has plenty of output power to drive the HD-800 headphones. I love the pairing, but "sound good" is very subjective, so your ears may not agree with mine.

Apr 30, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #32,037 of 42,765
There seems to varying results. Typically I get 8-9 hours still (had my unit since launch), but I don't use the line level 3Vrms (line-out mode is nothing more than a volume preset that isn't remembered when the unit is powered off).

Also, it depends on the load that is on the other end. For high Voltage and low Current requirements (like a line-in to an amp) you'll actually get better battery life. For high Current and low Voltage requirements (like IEMs) the juice will drain faster, contrary to many misconceptions out there.
A few months ago I was having > 8 hours from my Mojo. These past two months, I only get roughly 5 hours from full charge. I've noticed this since February and I kept investigating. I mainly use DT880-250ohms on it. I used the Apple earpods just to test it while mobile and I only got 4 hours of use.

I used only the iPad or iPhone adapters or thru the Macbook Pro to charge it. The Mojo is mostly charged overnight while off then used the next day. Here's the breakdown of my observations over the last two months.

Blue < 1 hour, Green > 1 hour, Yellow > 1 hour, Red < 1 hour, Blinking red < 15 minutes. It will last 5-6 hours when used. Another observation is that it will last > 6 hours when turned-on without anything connected.

I already returned it to the store I brought it from for service/repair or possibly battery replacement.

I deeply miss my Mojo and look forward to using it again after a month or two.

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #32,038 of 42,765
I have a Mojo that was purchased about six months after they were released. It can be quite loud when charging too.

As with other units the noise is present no matter what mains charger I use.

I always charge from a powerbank, the largest one I have gives me three charges before it needs charging itself, the Mojo is completely silent when charging from a powerbank.

Do others with noisy units find a powerbank charger fixes the charging noise issue, or is it just mine?

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #32,039 of 42,765
I just updated my iPhone 6s to 10.3.1 and my Chord Mojo drops out constantly with an error message saying 'This accessory is not supported by this device". I know that the problem is widespread to almost all non-MFI cables and DACS. I am very worried about this move by Apple being a marketing move and not a bug... It hurts a lot as I just got my Mojo after saving for many weeks (broke college student).

Anybody got any information on this?

May 1, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #32,040 of 42,765
I just updated my iPhone 6s to 10.3.1 and my Chord Mojo drops out constantly with an error message saying 'This accessory is not supported by this device". I know that the problem is widespread to almost all non-MFI cables and DACS. I am very worried about this move by Apple being a marketing move and not a bug... It hurts a lot as I just got my Mojo after saving for many weeks (broke college student).

Anybody got any information on this?

I read somewhere here that if the CCK firmware is not updated 10.3.x is works OK. Not an iPhone user myself, just passing on the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back