Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 4, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #30,048 of 42,765
  Don't hold your breath ... maybe the best we can hope for in order to achieve full MQA is a backpack to attach to the Mojo (I am shamelessly repeating another member's idea) - kind of like the Poly.  

As far as I am concerned such a unit could even be made be a 3rd party as the MQA concept comes in (at least) three parts; decoder, renderer, and complete unit - there's no requirement to offer the full package.  And no need to share your corporate Intellectual Property.  

Maybe the first 2 could be combined in a little unit to put on your USB port, like the Audioquest Jitterbug, made by some enterprising outfit yet to be identified.  Or what if Meridian would offer the Explorer2 with digital outputs ... but maybe that would constitute apostasy?

A Chord rep has told me as well that there are no firmware upgrades for any purpose.  He said their units are designed & built as best they know how at the time, as newer designs/components become available, that would be a new product launch.

Thank you for your reply.

I was listening last night to Glenn Hansard's album, Rhythm and Repose, the MQA version (TIDAL really needs to add a directory for MQA albums as well as an easy way to identify them in a listing), and as soon as it began I could tell how much better the upper frequencies sounded; it's more noticeable, in my opinion, than the difference between Redbook and Hi Rez in most cases. My plan is to buy a Hugo 2, but the notion of an add-on, although an excellent idea, doesn't appeal to my simplicity sensibilities.

I do wonder, since Chord uses proprietary DAC technology, whether intellectual property is an issue for them in adoption. I'm not clear what MQA requires of the manufacturer in regards to DAC technology.

Feb 4, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #30,049 of 42,765
  slight change, but interesting --- hmm, what does it portend?

I'm sure this enabled Chord to save money in manufacturing, not a bad thing at all as long as the design is not compromised.

Feb 4, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #30,050 of 42,765
I'm sure this enabled Chord to save money in manufacturing, not a bad thing at all as long as the design is not compromised.
No they are programmed by a tiny bed of nails connector these are sprung brass and gold contact points aligned and held in place by a small clamp it's all a very normal procedure

Feb 4, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #30,051 of 42,765
It'll come with a new pricing strategy. The cost will be the GDP of a randomly selected developing country.

Hey Grumpy, can you confirm whether the nature of balanced drive inherently doubles the impedance spec of any IEM/headphone connected to it?

Feb 4, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #30,054 of 42,765

Don't hold your breath ... maybe the best we can hope for in order to achieve full MQA is a backpack to attach to the Mojo (I am shamelessly repeating another member's idea) - kind of like the Poly.  

As far as I am concerned such a unit could even be made be a 3rd party as the MQA concept comes in (at least) three parts; decoder, renderer, and complete unit - there's no requirement to offer the full package.  And no need to share your corporate Intellectual Property.  

Maybe the first 2 could be combined in a little unit to put on your USB port, like the Audioquest Jitterbug, made by some enterprising outfit yet to be identified.  Or what if Meridian would offer the Explorer2 with digital outputs ... but maybe that would constitute apostasy?

A Chord rep has told me as well that there are no firmware upgrades for any purpose.  He said their units are designed & built as best they know how at the time, as newer designs/components become available, that would be a new product launch.

Thank you for your reply.

I was listening last night to Glenn Hansard's album, Rhythm and Repose, the MQA version (TIDAL really needs to add a directory for MQA albums as well as an easy way to identify them in a listing), and as soon as it began I could tell how much better the upper frequencies sounded; it's more noticeable, in my opinion, than the difference between Redbook and Hi Rez in most cases. My plan is to buy a Hugo 2, but the notion of an add-on, although an excellent idea, doesn't appeal to my simplicity sensibilities.

I do wonder, since Chord uses proprietary DAC technology, whether intellectual property is an issue for them in adoption. I'm not clear what MQA requires of the manufacturer in regards to DAC technology.

For me there is no issue in my readiness to acquire IP to put into my designs; if I hear a technology that genuinely improves performance and musicality then I would be first in the line to use it, and go to any lengths to get it to perform at it's best.

Rob  

Feb 4, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #30,055 of 42,765
  For me there is no issue in my readiness to acquire IP to put into my designs; if I hear a technology that genuinely improves performance and musicality then I would be first in the line to use it, and go to any lengths to get it to perform at it's best.

Rob  

I foresee a poly 2 with built-in MQA to PCM decoder.

Feb 4, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #30,056 of 42,765
Thanks, Rob, for your reply.

Will we have to wait for the Mojo 2 to see MQA compatibility or will there be some way to update the existing Mojo?

Feb 5, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #30,058 of 42,765
Understand.

Feb 5, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #30,060 of 42,765
I'm getting used to the audio delay on win10, no matter what I do, audio delay is there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back