Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 17, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #29,297 of 42,765
  Another question, does anyone have experience using this as mostly a desktop DAC?

Many of us use Mojo mainly as desktop DAC, including me. Might not be the most ideal for desktop use, but what other DAC can compete with Mojo's sound quality for £400? I have no problem using Mojo as desktop DAC at all.

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #29,298 of 42,765
Just received an answer from Tidal, they acknowledge that there is a problem in the current version and sent me a zip to re-install v. 2.03 

Update, Jan 19, 2017:  pulled down an update from Tidal today, new version is 2.1.2.177 (previously 2.1.1.160).  Haven't tried it yet, hopefully it will fix the problems with using the Mojo

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #29,299 of 42,765
To all new Mojo owners:

Don't forget to redeem your free DSD album download! There should be a coupon code in the box, which you apply here:

https://www.nativedsd.com/information/mojo

So out if curiosity, why does it need to be fully charged for 10 hours before first use, and what would break if I was to just switch it on whilst charging? Does anybody know, or is the answer simply "because".

Edit: See these posts:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-dac-amp-faq-in-3rd-post/2685#post_12030024
http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-dac-amp-faq-in-3rd-post/29295#post_13182449

I see.. 

I must have missed that post - I try to keep up with the thread at all times 
biggrin.gif

I just noticed than on my normal setup I get a similar effect - and I also load the tracks into memory. Makes me wonder if there is anything I can do. 

I posted about it many times.

Well, programming foobar2000 to load tracks into memory is obviously going to cause more of a pause. If you instead put the tracks in virtual RAM drives (so everything is already in memory), then drag and drop them into foobar2000, there won't be as much of a pause...but that's a pain to bother with. And Mojo will still cut off the beginning unless you insert that silence, so sort of a moot point.

See my point is that the red says it's in the instructions but yet it is not in the manual, any of the quotes from Chord, and unlike star walker's it is not printed on my box.

It's odd that the newer box doesn't mention charging beforehand. I have the older white one. (Which slips inside an outer box with the same graphics as yours.)

I do, but have to run the source PC off of battery power due to the Mojo's lack of galvanic isolation. Despite running amp, preamp and PC off of adjacent outlets, I get very audible digital noise leaking into the system from anything directly connected to the PC.

That sort of thing really depends on your computer. No problems on my end.

Thanks for the feedback! I plan on using in a 70/30 split between home and portable use. It won't strictly be for home use, otherwise I would get a dedicated desktop DAC. However, I'm glad to hear it'll still be a good option for my desktop setup. 

There were recent posts about the upcoming Hugo 2 being the second best DAC in the world. (Losing only to the DAVE.) So whether something is sized for portable or desktop use doesn't tell you how it will sound.

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #29,300 of 42,765

Many of us use Mojo mainly as desktop DAC, including me. Might not be the most ideal for desktop use, but what other DAC can compete with Mojo's sound quality for £400? I have no problem using Mojo as desktop DAC at all.

Some claim Modi Multibit at $249 is better. I don't know since I haven't heard that dac.

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #29,303 of 42,765

I use mine as my desktop DAC/Amp too, driving my Elears. Sounds fantastic, and its a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #29,304 of 42,765
  To all new Mojo owners:

Don't forget to redeem your free DSD album download! There should be a coupon code in the box, which you apply here:

The first batch had been in storage for too long or something, which is why there is the 10 hour charging recommendation. That doesn't apply to newer units.

Well, programming foobar2000 to load tracks into memory is obviously going to cause more of a pause. If you instead put the tracks in virtual RAM drives (so everything is already in memory), then drag and drop them into foobar2000, there won't be as much of a pause...but that's a pain to bother with. And Mojo will still cut off the beginning unless you insert that silence, so sort of a moot point.

It's odd that the newer box doesn't mention charging beforehand. I have the older white one. (Which slips inside an outer box with the same graphics as yours.)

There were recent posts about the upcoming Hugo 2 being the second best DAC in the world. (Losing only to the DAVE.) So whether something is sized for portable or desktop use doesn't tell you how it will sound.

The only comment i would modify (for clarity), is that with the initial batches of the Mojo, Chord had no way of knowing just how popular it would be. So chord took the cautious approach, and half charged the Mojos, and then advised new owners that they needed a full 10 hour charge (just in case the Mojos had been on shop shelves for months, and the batteries were flat).
In reality, the initial batches of Mojos were bought by owners, as fast as they arrived at the dealers, so the batteries were still nearly half charged, so most people needed to charge for only say 4 hours.

Mojo is still selling well, so i expect most new owners still only need 4 hours charge to reach full charge.
The only exceptions are probably owners using chargers that change to trickle charge, once the battery gets near full charge.
beerchug.gif

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #29,305 of 42,765
Quick question, I have a TDK ferrite choke being shipped to me; does it go on the source end or load end of a USB cable in order to have the best effect?

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #29,306 of 42,765
Just bought a JVC HA-SZ2000! Now I'll have both audiophile and basshead bases covered.

(Returning the Skullcandy Crusher 'cause it's nowhere near good enough for serious basshead purposes.)

The only comment i would modify (for clarity), is that with the initial batches of the Mojo, Chord had no way of knowing just how popular it would be. So chord took the cautious approach, and half charged the Mojos, and then advised new owners that they needed a full 10 hour charge (just in case the Mojos had been on shop shelves for months, and the batteries were flat).
In reality, the initial batches of Mojos were bought by owners, as fast as they arrived at the dealers, so the batteries were still nearly half charged, so most people needed to charge for only say 4 hours.

I see. You sure are a Mojo guru!
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #29,307 of 42,765
  Just bought a JVC HA-SZ2000! Now I'll have both audiophile and basshead bases covered.

(Returning the Skullcandy Crusher 'cause it's nowhere near good enough for serious basshead purposes.)

I see. You sure are a Mojo guru!
biggrin.gif

you flatter me.

i don't remember all the mojo info, but i remember there was this post by JF. http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-dac-amp-faq-in-3rd-post/2685#post_12030024 
@Mython and some of the other regulars put me in the shade somewhat. 
normal_smile .gif

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #29,308 of 42,765
To all new Mojo owners:

Edit: See these posts:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-dac-amp-faq-in-3rd-post/2685#post_12030024
http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-dac-amp-faq-in-3rd-post/29295#post_13182449

No code for a free DSD album either. Ah well, I got my free case so can't complain.

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #29,309 of 42,765
Joining the club! Liestening to my Mojo just now and it really sounds amazing. I feared i would be disappointed after all the high praise ive read and high expectations from it. But the mojo realyl lives up to the hype.

First think i noticed was the incredible depth of layers in songs. With my Denon DA-300 its more like mush. The mojo is just really really clear and fun to listen too. Anyway back to testing :D

PS: No DSD code and no case for me :S

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #29,310 of 42,765
No code for a free DSD album either. Ah well, I got my free case so can't complain.

PS: No DSD code and no case for me :S

Well that sucks. I guess it was a limited time bonus.

It's a shame the Mojo can't do native DSD playback either; only DoP. (DSD over PCM.)

There's conflicting info out there on whether DoP sounds the same as native DSD playback. I don't know whether it would sound different since I almost never use DSD.

http://www.dcsltd.co.uk/support/what-is-dop-dsd-over-pcm/

The original idea for DoP was invented by dCS in 2011. It involves taking groups of 16 adjacent 1-bit  samples from a DSD stream and packing them into the lower 16 bits of a 24/176.4 data stream. Data from the other channel of the stereo pair is packed the same way. A specific marker code in the top 8 bits identifies the data stream as DoP, rather than PCM. The resulting DoP stream can be transmitted through existing 24/192-capable USB, AES, Dual AES or SPDIF interfaces to a DoP-compatible DAC, which reassembles the original stereo DSD data stream COMPLETELY UNCHANGED.

If something goes wrong and the data stream is decoded as PCM, the output will be low-level noise with faint music in the back ground, so it fails safely. This can happen if the computer erases the marker code by applying a volume adjustment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back