Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 9, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #28,711 of 42,782
I am pretty sure there are many potential buyers, but not as many if the add on was less expensive:)
But it couldn't have had the performance it has if it were less expensive. That is what I've been saying for the last four days . If we'd made it less expensive it wouldn't perform like Poly can,

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #28,712 of 42,782
I am pretty sure there are many potential buyers, but not as many if the add on was less expensive:)

Only Chord will know if they make more money selling 10,000 at £500 or 20,000 at £400.

If parts/manufacturing/development costs came to £300 per Poly then profit of £2million vs £2million ..... its a numbers game & gamble. Love to know how many Mojo's have sold.

I've got Chord off to a start with my pre-order anyway.

If the Poly only had another multifunction ball on the Poly itself for play/pause/next/prev that would have been a great additional feature to using smartphone for full control. When were out & about once playlist/queue started we mostly just want to pause/skip tracks or tweak volume on the Mojopoly itself.

Bet you wish you'd though of that small addition eh John
wink.gif
  would look awesome match with the Mojo too.

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #28,713 of 42,782

Prior to Brexit, the pound was worth around $1.60; after Brexit the pound has settled to around $1.22 as of a couple days ago. That is a 23.75% decrease in the value of the pound compared to the dollar. 499 pounds equates to $608.78, hence, the $599 retail in the US.

I'm not familiar with the political reasons why the citizenry chose to leave the EU, but one of the consequences of that decision is there money is worth less than it used to be. Chord has to pay its suppliers and its employees with a currency that has less value, so I'm sure Chord is dealing with price increases from its suppliers and greater employee expenses. That is why they had to raise the price of the Poly to 499 pounds. If Chord released the Poly last year before the Brexit vote, they would have kept the price the same as the Mojo, 399 pounds.

I hope this helps ...

Not so sure that has much to do with the price.
In comparison to Poly, Mojo is a one trick pony. Poly (at face value) has a lot more packed into its casing, and also the same battery technology. Finally, not everyone who has Mojo is going to buy a Poly, so it is incredibly unlikely to sell in the same volume as Mojo, so economies of scale will also affect the price.
Any other comments on poly's perceived value need parking until we see the videos from Chord, and reviews from the press.
This is all arse about face to Mojo's launch, when the Mojo had been handed to a select few who had their hands on opinions ready to publish. We knew from day one what it was capable of.
With Poly that hasn't happened, so all we have is speculation

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #28,714 of 42,782
Poly is kind of interesting to me as it could possibly replace my computer in the home hi-fi setup, the only limitation for me here is that I have more than 256gb of music so it wouldn't fit on one MicroSD card. What I'd like to know is does anyone make an adapter/cable that would allow an SSD (or other larger memory card) to 'plug in' to the MicroSD socket?

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #28,716 of 42,782
But it couldn't have had the performance it has if it were less expensive. That is what I've been saying for the last four days . If we'd made it less expensive it wouldn't perform like Poly can,

Pictures are worth a thousand words. Do you have measurements you can share? I'm curious about how the proximity of the two RF transceivers impacts noise performance.

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #28,717 of 42,782

If the Poly only had another multifunction ball on the Poly itself for play/pause/next/prev that would have been a great additional feature to using smartphone for full control. When were out & about once playlist/queue started we mostly just want to pause/skip tracks or tweak volume on the Mojopoly itself.

Bet you wish you'd though of that small addition eh John
wink.gif
  would look awesome match with the Mojo too.

If only it were that simple!

That 'one ball' would require substantial firmware development of its own, independent of that relating to the existing smartphone control & comms.

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #28,718 of 42,782
Not to sidestep the Polly discussions however - after sifting through many pages on this thread a simple question - I am Stateside.  Is there a list of domestic sellers somewhere?  Who is carrying the Mojo and has a reasonable return policy so that I can demo in the convenience of my own home?  On Amazon I only see FatWyre and they seem to have a restocking fee.  Where are everyone buying theirs?

I would also like to be able to speak with a seller to determine if their inventory is current and above the serial number which now contains the automatic shutoff (has it been officially determined that this capacity even exists?)

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #28,719 of 42,782
  Not to sidestep the Polly discussions however - after sifting through many pages on this thread a simple question - I am Stateside.  Is there a list of domestic sellers somewhere?  Who is carrying the Mojo and has a reasonable return policy so that I can demo in the convenience of my own home?  On Amazon I only see FatWyre and they seem to have a restocking fee.  Where are everyone buying theirs?

I would also like to be able to speak with a seller to determine if their inventory is current and above the serial number which now contains the automatic shutoff (has it been officially determined that this capacity even exists?)

I got mine from a local B&M. I don't live in a densely populated area, so they must have pretty wide distribution. I would look around and see if you can demo in-store first. 

Online, I think moon-audio carries them. 

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #28,720 of 42,782
Only Chord will know if they make more money selling 10,000 at £500 or 20,000 at £400.

If parts/manufacturing/development costs came to £300 per Poly then profit of £2million vs £2million ..... its a numbers game & gamble. Love to know how many Mojo's have sold.

I've got Chord off to a start with my pre-order anyway.

Bet you wish you'd though of that small addition eh John :wink:   would look awesome match with the Mojo too.

nice idea but you'd loose thirty percent of the battery capacity do it's a no from us note Poly will cycle through its SD list in any case if you can't find a phone to pair with it but any phone will do and there are now five billion on the planet

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #28,721 of 42,782

I got mine from a local B&M. I don't live in a densely populated area, so they must have pretty wide distribution. I would look around and see if you can demo in-store first. 

TTVJ (Todd The Vinyl Junkie) also retails Mojo, in the USA:

http://www.ttvjaudio.com/Chord_Mojo_Portable_Headphone_Amp_and_DAC_p/cho0000098.htm

http://www.ttvjaudio.com/returns.asp

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #28,722 of 42,782

If only it were that simple!

That 'one ball' would require substantial firmware development of its own, independent of that relating to the existing smartphone control & comms.

I know, I'm an engineer myself. Far too late now but would have been good (but not if loosing 30% of battery as John mentioned, just make it a bit longer).

Easier to feel for "Balls" in your pocket rather than whip your smart phone out
tongue.gif
  (to skip/pause track & adjust volume of course!!)

Jan 9, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #28,723 of 42,782

Needle Doctor carries Mojos too. Great folks to deal with in my experience. As are Todd The Vinyl Junkie and Moon Audio. All good options that I have had good experiences with. 

http://www.needledoctor.com/Chord-Mojo-Portable-Hifi-Headphone-Amp-DAC

Jan 9, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #28,724 of 42,782
Just got even more interesting. I asked John about details on the Chord Poly case and he hinted that the longer case is to be included with the Chord Poly. This may only be a limited time promotion, I don't know. At least that saves me £60 on a new case making Poly even more appealing. Said they are already made. Should also alleviate any concern people had about the two halves not holding together so well. Also stops any body with the original case being annoyed at having to buy a new case.

I have seen some Mojo sellers in the UK offering the original case free with new Mojo purchase.

Jan 9, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #28,725 of 42,782
Just got even more interesting. I asked John about details on the Chord Poly case and he hinted that the longer case is to be included with the Chord Poly. This may only be a limited time promotion, I don't know. At least that saves me £60 on a new case making Poly even more appealing. Said they are already made. Should also alleviate any concern people had about the two halves not holding together so well. Also stops any body with the original case be annoyed at having to buy a new case.

I have seen some Mojo sellers in the UK offering the original case free with new Mojo purchase.

Great to hear that longer case is included in the Poly!
I definitely will get the Poly as I really love the Mojo sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back