Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 29, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #27,991 of 42,765
Every single component in the audio path subtracts from transparency. There is no question about that. 1+1=/=0.

You can not add two things and have less noise/distortion. It doesn't work that way. Also, the Mojo on its own measures much better than the O2 with less internal components in the signal path with an extremely simple analogue section. The O2 has more internal components in the signal path. The O2, by the laws of physics, is adding it's own flavour (no matter what the O2 fans say). It's just what's happening. The Mojo has it's own smoothness and the O2 has it's own brightness. If one likes the synergy of the two together, or on their own, that's fantastic but it isn't more transparent.

FWIW, I passed on purchasing the O2 (JDS Labs version) when I demoed it long ago because it had a grain and harshness to the sound and I found other amps to do much better than the O2 for my tastes. Again, I am glad if one finds the older conventional design of the O2 more preferable, but it simply isn't more transparent than the Mojo no matter what the marketing says.

As far as 'driver control' the Mojo and O2 (JDS Labs version) have about the same output power with the Mojo having the lower output impedance and better distortion measurements. Also, the Mojo has more Current output than the O2 (JDS Labs version). The headphone driver also doesn't care about what unused power it isn't being fed if using more powerful amplifiers. The headphone only sees what is sent to it for the volume one is listening at.

I respect what nwavguy has done with the O2, but I disagree with some of his assumptions about audibility. Good enough isn't always good enough. Of course, one more time, this doesn't account for personal preference. If the O2 is ones' preference then that's fantastic. We all like what we like and if the Mojo doesn't float your boat that's perfectly valid. I'm simply saying the O2 is not more transparent based on component count and measurements.

Well... Makes me wonder the following: 

I'm using EQ to alter my musica, is it some kind of heresy using Mojo + EQ since using EQ would negate all the efforts of keeping the signal as clean as possible? 
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #27,992 of 42,765
Well... Makes me wonder the following: 

I'm using EQ to alter my musica, is it some kind of heresy using Mojo + EQ since using EQ would negate all the efforts of keeping the signal as clean as possible? :D

It depends on the EQ implementation for a clean signal (no audible distortion). I know JaZZ uses the X5/X5ii EQ to tailor the sound to his tastes with the Hugo and the DAVE. There really is no right or wrong here as far as preference is concerned. Of course you are altering the sound, but to your tastes and in that case it's clear what is happening to the audio signal for your tastes. AFAIK Rob also endorses using a good EQ vs adding extra components to the audio path in order to get the sound one seeks.

My posts were simply referring to comments of extra components adding transparency, which is a false statement. They may alter the frequency response for various reasons outlined already many times in this thread.

Dec 29, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #27,993 of 42,765
 @Maczrool Try WASAPI, it worked straight away for USB, well for me anyway.

Nope.  No sound with any of the DSD: ASIO options or the Chord WASAPI push or event options while set to output DSD.  Switching over to PCM it continues to work great.  I'm beginning to think maybe something is wrong with mine.  I will try Jriver but just to rule that out.  Thanks though!

Dec 29, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #27,994 of 42,765
It powers my 250ohm DT770 with ease. This is my house sound now.Very transparent full natural sound.I dont feel the need to add an amp to the chain and colour the sound.Line out is perfectly clean and powerful.

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #27,995 of 42,765
It depends on the EQ implementation for a clean signal (no audible distortion). I know @JaZZ uses the X5/X5ii EQ to tailor the sound to his tastes with the Hugo and the DAVE. There really is no right or wrong here as far as preference is concerned. Of course you are altering the sound, but to your tastes and in that case it's clear what is happening to the audio signal for your tastes. AFAIK Rob also endorses using a good EQ vs adding extra components to the audio path in order to get the sound one seeks.

My posts were simply referring to comments of extra components adding transparency, which is a false statement. They may alter the frequency response for various reasons outlined already many times in this thread.

Oh yes... I'm not sure if anything can add transparency... Even resistors like cables, in theory are not fully transparent. 

Seems I can't do without any EQ, my music and setups asks for this sometimes, and to be honest, there are some really good EQ implementation, and X5ii's is one of the best implementations I've ever laid my ears on. 

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #27,996 of 42,765
want to share...great guitar instrumental.

put on your fav cans or iems...or crank the speakers...and turn on the mojo
 to enjoy this fab piece...one of my favourites.
(i'm listening to the CD it's from: Mambo Sinuendo)
this tune alone made the purchase worthwhile.

Manuel Galbán & Ry Cooder playing '' Secret Love ''

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #27,997 of 42,765

Sorry I forgot to mention the bass issue, I am used to the RHA T20's which are quite bass heavy, can be too much at times. I get that the sound may change according to headphone impedance, but they had literally zero bass. I played some tracks with heavy beats, I got nothing like what I am used to. I will try again tomorrow, the akg's have a little meat to them on my cheap soundcard but had nothing with the Mojo or my DAP, strange.

EDIT: I've just quickly tested them. I think I have just got used to the RHA's, I'd eq'd some bass in using my soundcard driver at some point. They sound just as tinny in the pc, but have extra top end with the Mojo. The outer layer of the pads have come off, could this cause excessive sound leakage? The mrs has commented that she can hear what i'm listening to over the tv 
L3000.gif

phone, mojo, music player app, EQ the bass.

Sorry I forgot to mention the bass issue, I am used to the RHA T20's which are quite bass heavy, can be too much at times. I get that the sound may change according to headphone impedance, but they had literally zero bass. I played some tracks with heavy beats, I got nothing like what I am used to. I will try again tomorrow, the akg's have a little meat to them on my cheap soundcard but had nothing with the Mojo or my DAP, strange.

EDIT: I've just quickly tested them. I think I have just got used to the RHA's, I'd eq'd some bass in using my soundcard driver at some point. They sound just as tinny in the pc, but have extra top end with the Mojo. The outer layer of the pads have come off, could this cause excessive sound leakage? The mrs has commented that she can hear what i'm listening to over the tv 
L3000.gif

phone, mojo, music player app, EQ the bass.

I would much rather alter the sound with a warm amp than EQ the bass.  EQ sounds terrible to me haven't heard any that do any justice.

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #27,998 of 42,765
I would much rather alter the sound with a warm amp than EQ the bass.  EQ sounds terrible to me haven't heard any that do any justice.
most EQs are bad especially AK daps. That doesnt mean all are bad.

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #27,999 of 42,765
If you raise all eq points to +5 or +10 and it's not flat sounding then you know it's not increasing volume between frequency points and that bugs me. If I found a eq that can do that I would consider using. I would prefer just bit more on low end with out loosing part of the note being played that is of a neighboring frequency.

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #28,000 of 42,765
You can use the EQ from serious programs (VST plugins) like Fabfilter Pro Q-2 or iZotope's EQ, or whichever one that actually does the job properly with compromising on sound quality and giving you full control. 

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #28,001 of 42,765
Nope.  No sound with any of the DSD: ASIO options or the Chord WASAPI push or event options while set to output DSD.  Switching over to PCM it continues to work great.  I'm beginning to think maybe something is wrong with mine.  I will try Jriver but just to rule that out.  Thanks though!

How can I make TIDAL use ASIO or WASAPI?

Dec 30, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #28,002 of 42,765
  Puzzle.

I have an oldish Linux netbook. (It plays FLAC files though.) I have tired attaching Mojo to it, but no sound.

I thought Linux did not need drivers. However this is a highly cut down version of Linux, so might not have similar USB DAC functionality. (I looked on Chord website and no Linux drivers that I could try anyway.)

I have a copy of Windows XP ULCPC, which means netbook lite version. I don't know if it will fit on the tiny SSD drive on the netbook though. Then the Chord Mojo driver might not install on XP anyway.

Should I just give up, or does anyone know the solution, or have ideas please?

Please folks could anyone please offer any ideas on the post that I have quoted here? It's post I made a few days ago but no-one yet has managed any ideas. I think in the end I will have to buy another device as a file source though.

This netbook is an Asus EEE PC 4G. It looks like this. http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/asus-eee-pc-4g-xp

When I plug the Mojo in I do not get sound through the Mojo. Neither I think is there a driver for Linux.

Dec 30, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #28,004 of 42,765
Please folks could anyone please offer any ideas on the post that I have quoted here? It's post I made a few days ago but no-one yet has managed any ideas. I think in the end I will have to buy another device as a file source though.

This netbook is an Asus EEE PC 4G. It looks like this. http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/asus-eee-pc-4g-xp

When I plug the Mojo in I do not get sound through the Mojo. Neither I think is there a driver for Linux.

Run this command from the terminal:
tail -f /var/log/messages

Then plug in Mojo and turn on. Please report back the kernel messages associated with this action.

If the device is recognized correctly then it points to some settings issue.

Dec 30, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #28,005 of 42,765

Run this command from the terminal:
tail -f /var/log/messages

Then plug in Mojo and turn on. Please report back the kernel messages associated with this action.

If the device is recognized correctly then it points to some settings issue.

Thank you for trying. It says:
tail: cannot open 'var/log/messages' for - reading: No such file or directory.
tail: no file remaining

Then when I plug Mojo in, there is no message.

I think this netbook's OS is actually a cut down version of Linux. I know the netbook XP version was. It would be easier to install netbook XP, and I have licence for it. However it's only a 4GB SSD, so too short on OS space for XP I guess. I could buy a bigger SSD on ebay I guess. However I might just be better getting a tablet. Shame though as this netbook is silent and would be perfect.

The OS is called EEEPC version 1.0.6.6. I think it says Linux on the install disks. (I will check.) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back