Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 27, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #26,566 of 42,765
It's a dual-core 2.2 ghz CPU. Should have no problems handling DSD. Furthermore, it's in native DSD format not any conversion which wouldn't require much processing power.

It might be the cable or the PSU spikes, or as some else said, bandwidth limit issue. If I were you, I'd just reinstall windows if it's worth it.

Nov 27, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #26,567 of 42,765
It's a dual-core 2.2 ghz CPU. Should have no problems handling DSD. Furthermore, it's in native DSD format not any conversion which wouldn't require much processing power.

It might be the cable or the PSU spikes, or as some else said, bandwidth limit issue. If I were you, I'd just reinstall windows if it's worth it.

It is delivered as PCM (DoP) so a good amount of buffer underrun is needed for zero dropouts, kind of like the buffer underrun protection when burning a CD.

Nov 27, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #26,568 of 42,765
Nov 27, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #26,569 of 42,765
Ever since OSX El Capitan there have been a lot of issues with USB audio playback on Macs, especially for DSD128 and up. It's likely an OSX issue, not a hardware issue.

Edit: This was brought up a while ago in the DAVE thread as well, and one of the main reasons Torq dropped the DAVE off his DAC list. OS X needs to step it up for DoP. Windows does not have this issue with the Chord drivers able to re-send packets if there are dropouts. Many with a Mac won't have issues and many do. Such is life.

Nov 27, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #26,570 of 42,765
I've variously seen it mentioned in relation to iOS, Android and Windows, too, so OSX isn't the only culprit (not that I'm saying OSX may not indeed have related issues of its own)

There's evidently a wide range of factors that may influence the successful digital transmission of high data rate files.

Considering how (genuinely) incredible humble Redbook sounds through Rob's DACs, I am quite happy to go no higher than single rate DSD (in situations where that may be the legitimate 'native' format of a recording - which it often isn't...), and, where viable, continue to enjoy the majority of my music collection in 16/44.1 if the mastering is decent).

Nov 27, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #26,571 of 42,765
I've variously seen it mentioned in relation to iOS, Android and Windows, too, so OSX isn't the only culprit (not that I'm saying OSX may not indeed have related issues of its own)

Yeah, I wasn't going to comment earlier because the s7 was also showing the issue for the OP. Another reason I, personally, really hate DSD.

Nov 27, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #26,572 of 42,765
Talking about issues with operating systems. There were issues with that last big Windows 10 update, and folk found their Mojo would not work with Win 10. Please did that ever get fixed, either with an update from MS or Chord?

Nov 27, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #26,573 of 42,765

Yeah, I wasn't going to comment earlier because the s7 was also showing the issue for the OP. Another reason I, personally, really hate DSD.

I don't currently own a DAC capable of native DSD playback, but, that aside, I won't entertain obtaining albums in DSD format unless it is (truly & honestly) the native recording format of an album or, in the case of analogue master tape, the native format of the digital master derived therefrom. Currently, for me, that's only Nat King Cole's 'Love is the Thing' (and I wouldn't be all that shocked if it eventually turns out that Analog Productions perhaps ADC'd from analogue to PCM, and then transcoded to DSD. Not suggesting they did, but just saying I wouldn't fall off my chair if it turned out that way).

I still buy 95% of my music on Redbook CD!
popcorn.gif
(yes, I am an old fart, but Hugo was an awakening for me, about how bloody good Redbook can sound)

Nov 27, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #26,574 of 42,765
I don't currently own a DAC capable of native DSD playback, but, that aside, I won't entertain obtaining albums in DSD format unless it is (truly & honestly) the native recording format of an album or, in the case of analogue master tape, the native format of the digital master derived therefrom. Currently, for me, that's only Nat King Cole's 'Love is the Thing' (and I wouldn't be all that shocked if it eventually turns out that Analog Productions perhaps ADC'd from analogue to PCM, and then transcoded to DSD. Not suggesting they did, but just saying I wouldn't fall off my chair if it turned out that way).

I still buy 95% of my music on Redbook CD! :popcorn: (yes, I am an old fart, but Hugo was an awakening for me, about how bloody good Redbook can sound)

I purchased Norah Jones Come Away With Me in DSD128 and converted it to 16/44.1 PCM. Couldn't hear the difference between the formats at all. Of course it wasn't natively recorded in DSD, and Norah Johnes is produced flat as a pancake with very little depth in the recording to begin with, but audibly the format made no difference. Every single native DSD recording I've heard sounded extra wide and extra flat in depth, to me at least. I hate it, but I can see how others like it. Just not worth it for me to put up with the file size and format playback issues.

Nov 27, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #26,575 of 42,765
Yeah, what I mean is that if an album is natively in DSD, then it'd irk me to pay almost as much for transcoded flacs, when I'd rather pay a couple of bucks more and then transcode, or not transcode, at my own discretion.

It's not that I actively desire a DSD library of albums, just that I like to buy non-transcoded files, in whatever their native format might be.

At this point in time, I neither like nor dislike .DSD.

Hope that makes sense.

(Of course, in this Mojo thread, one should note that Mojo does not handle .DSD natively, iirc.)

Nov 27, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #26,576 of 42,765
Talking about issues with operating systems. There were issues with that last big Windows 10 update, and folk found their Mojo would not work with Win 10. Please did that ever get fixed, either with an update from MS or Chord?

Windows 10 64 bit home version with windows 10 anniversary update. Working perfectly fine.

Nov 27, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #26,577 of 42,765

I still buy 95% of my music on Redbook CD! :popcorn: (yes, I am an old fart, but Hugo was an awakening for me, about how bloody good Redbook can sound)

+1. I think Redbook on Hugo is extremely well done!

Nov 27, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #26,578 of 42,765
Is Mojo known to sound any different as he "burns in?" I know what I think I'm hearing, but I don't want to influence anyone else by saying it just yet. Did anyone else hear some aspect of the sound change in the first 25 hours or so? Or did anyone specifically hear no change?

My Mojo sounded bad after 30 hourse. After 80 hours resolution was improved, sounds became lusher and more analog. After 120 hourse base and dynamic were improved. And I think it is not the end...

Nov 27, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #26,579 of 42,765
I purchased Norah Jones Come Away With Me in DSD128 and converted it to 16/44.1 PCM. Couldn't hear the difference between the formats at all. Of course it wasn't natively recorded in DSD, and Norah Johnes is produced flat as a pancake with very little depth in the recording to begin with, but audibly the format made no difference. Every single native DSD recording I've heard sounded extra wide and extra flat in depth, to me at least. I hate it, but I can see how others like it. Just not worth it for me to put up with the file size and format playback issues.

When I played PCM vs DSD on Hugo, the DSD did sound a tiny bit more relaxed overall. But at the same time, it took away the punch/kick/dynamics on most of the tracks. It also always sounded veiled in comparison to PCM for some reason. Soundstage, imaging etc were all about the same. I also Prefer PCM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back