Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 26, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #2,431 of 42,765
  Can anyone in the US recommend some optical solutions to plug the Mojo into a AK120ii?

Sysconcept is cheaper at $58. Moon audio's form fit cable is $100.

Oct 26, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #2,432 of 42,765
I am having problems with my Mojo and my JH Audio JH16Pro CIEMs when I use optical or coax or have no USB connection. Anyone hearing this too? Wondering if I have a bad Mojo...

Without any input cables connected, or optical or coax connected, I hear a high pitched warbling noise in the CIEMs. If I play music via optical (driven by MBPR) or coax (via Fiio X3ii) I still hear some noise during quiet sections (e.g was listening to John Lee Hooker - Chill Out) though not as loudly. If I connect using USB (both MBPR and iPhone via CCK) I do not hear the noise at all -- ie. the USB mutes the noise.

I don't hear this with my other headphones (LCD-X, EL8Cs).

Since I have a Hugo too, I tried the JH16Pros with the Hugo and didn't hear any noise at all -- the JH16Pros and Hugo are completely silent when connected via optical (using the same optical connector that came with Hugo) or coax.

I vaguely recall people saying there was interference with phones, but I'm not hearing that.

So anyone heard anything similar? Pretty disappointed with this -- the whole point of getting the Mojo in addition to the Hugo was for traveling with the JH16Pros...

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #2,433 of 42,765
I am having problems with my Mojo and my JH Audio JH16Pro CIEMs when I use optical or coax or have no USB connection. Anyone hearing this too? Wondering if I have a bad Mojo...

Without any input cables connected, or optical or coax connected, I hear a high pitched warbling noise in the CIEMs. If I play music via optical (driven by MBPR) or coax (via Fiio X3ii) I still hear some noise during quiet sections (e.g was listening to John Lee Hooker - Chill Out) though not as loudly. If I connect using USB (both MBPR and iPhone via CCK) I do not hear the noise at all -- ie. the USB mutes the noise.

Since I have a Hugo too, I tried the JH16Pros with the Hugo and didn't hear any noise at all -- the JH16Pros and Hugo are completely silent when connected via optical (using the same optical connector that came with Hugo) or coax.

I vaguely recall people saying there was interference with phones, but I'm not hearing that.

So anyone heard anything similar? Pretty disappointed with this -- the whole point of getting the Mojo in addition to the Hugo was for traveling with the JH16Pros...

Relic's had a hiss-like noise with his Angie's via Coax that disappears after altering volume. Can also be heard with face against Mojo? Can you try this?

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #2,435 of 42,765

Exactly what I was reporting but haven't heard any word yet. It's some noise generated from the Mojo itself. You can hear the exact same hiss if you put your ear to the unit, even with nothing plugged in. Less sensitive headphones don't seem to pass this noise on but it can still be heard externally.

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #2,436 of 42,765
The  5mm just use a thinker shielding and sturdier than 2mm.

I have both you want the cable that is thicker because it has a nice protective jacket the thinner one is with everything stripped off except for the very last cover over the optical cable.

Oct 26, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #2,437 of 42,765
FiiO X7 and Mojo. :D

Oct 26, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #2,438 of 42,765
FiiO X7 and Mojo.
biggrin.gif

That is a Superb combo!!!

Oct 26, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #2,439 of 42,765
I have both you want the cable that is thicker because it has a nice protective jacket the thinner one is with everything stripped off except for the very last cover over the optical cable.

I'm giving the 2.2mm a try due to the lower profile. This picture from Sys Concept's website illustrates the difference the best.

You can see how much more the 5mm cable will stick out. Hopefully the 2.2mm will be plenty sturdy, and if not the Sys Concept people will stick by their product.

Cheers  

Oct 26, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #2,440 of 42,765
Asked this a couple of days ago but got lost in this fast moving thread.

If I add an ak100/120 to my mojo what kind of % increase will it give in sq over my current Android/mojo setup?
I know this will be dependant on the user but is there much of an increa or is it purely form factor and function?

None! If you have an iPhone or smartphone, use that.

For me, having come from an X5 and a Hugo, it isn't about SQ so much as form factor, so pleasurable to have a stack that you wouldn't mind getting out of your pocket on the train, not to mention the bands don't get in the way of the control interface
smily_headphones1.gif

Likewise. I was using an AK240. I could have taken my Hugo with me, but even managing it on a plane, with all the cables and hassle, was a PITA. I might still get an AK100 and a 2mm Sysconcept set-up for travelling. That way I can easily play high-res files, which I can't from my iPhone without more hassle.

Ordered the cable on friday and it arrived today  from sysconcept,service was first class and its cured my hires toslink woes
biggrin.gif

I'm glad to hear that!

Here's my rig now, at least until I can get a shorter cable solution. 

Oct 26, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #2,441 of 42,765

None! If you have an iPhone or smartphone, use that.

Likewise. I was using an AK240. I could have taken my Hugo with me, but even managing it on a plane, with all the cables and hassle, was a PITA. I might still get an AK100 and a 2mm Sysconcept set-up for travelling. That way I can easily play high-res files, which I can't from my iPhone without more hassle.

Yeah, I would have no problem using my smartphone if it were not due to the size difference, the need for multiple cables (at least for now) and the fact that I can't sacrifice the battery on my iPhone for audio pursuits as I need it for critical work calls/emails/text/etc. 

Went with the AK100/Mojo/Sys Concept rig for a good combination of form and function. I seriously looked at a number of Android phones (even puttered around B&H Photo looking at their myriad of options and some OTG cable options) but couldn't find one that had dual SD-cards and was a good size fit to the Mojo. When I saw I could get a used AK100 for well below $300 and learned that it could handle 200gb cards and I could get a custom low-profile cable then that was the end of the story for me (at least for now). 

Good thing is with the coax, USB and Toslink inputs there are many ways to skin the Mojo cat! 

Cheers 

Oct 26, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #2,443 of 42,765
  I'm giving the 2.2mm a try due to the lower profile. This picture from Sys Concept's website illustrates the difference the best.

You can see how much more the 5mm cable will stick out. Hopefully the 2.2mm will be plenty sturdy, and if not the Sys Concept people will stick by their product.

Cheers  

I have had  a couple of the thin one for a few years. Treat them well and they will last a long time. I have been using mine today. 

Oct 26, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #2,445 of 42,765
If the iDSD is anything like the iDAC2 (which iFi has said they are very similar without the effects turned on) then the Mojo is more natural, coherent, smooth, warm. The iDAC2 is overly bright, forced, thin, hollow, shouty. I'd feel this way compared to other gear as well, not just compared to the Mojo.

correct the Mojo won 'DAC of the Year'... :bigsmile_face:

also worth noting that Chord won What Hi-Fi's Best-DAC in the under £1000 category with the 2Qute... with Hugo retaining its crown in the Best-DAC over £1000+... :beerchug:

Link: http://www.whathifi.com/awards/2015/dacs

JF here What fantastic news to wake up to I'm here in Bangkok now where our Distributor is doing storming Business. I'm so happy that we'd the won three awards . Matt and our other two guys looked so Sharp picking them up too,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back