Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 12, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #23,971 of 42,765
Those of you using the fiio x3ii with mojo via coaxial how is the sound compared to other sources you've used/tried before ?. Planning to get one to pair with my mojo as it's the only dap which is cheap enough to use as source . I'm not planning to use my cell phone all the time as I can't afford to have it on air plane mode to avoid interference.

Not the cheapest look around 8 posts back! Shanling M1

I think the (hopefully) upcoming SD card module will be the only elegant solution if you want to use the Mojo on the move? At least in a pocketful form.

That's what I'm waiting for anyway but no rush.

Oct 12, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #23,972 of 42,765
Those of you using the fiio x3ii with mojo via coaxial how is the sound compared to other sources you've used/tried before ?. Planning to get one to pair with my mojo as it's the only dap which is cheap enough to use as source . I'm not planning to use my cell phone all the time as I can't afford to have it on air plane mode to avoid interference.

And remember the additional cost and hassle of getting a specific digital coaxial cable for the X3ii. - Thank Fiio for their cost saving single socket!
wink.gif

Oct 12, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #23,973 of 42,765
i use fiio x3 coaxial with mojo and compared with Android usb out via Uapp. I used both with small ferrite clips. I would say fiio sounded fuller and Android was a bit thin sounding.
thanks for sharing your impression. Is it possible to post a picture of your set up?.I just want to see how they stack up together. Thanks

Oct 12, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #23,974 of 42,765
  Mojo is a wonderful wonderful gadget, but when I used it to drive he400i, I feel 400i is very underpowered. 
So I decide to sell 400i and keep Mojo. 

i dont understand this, isnt HE400i around 40ohms? mojo specs say it can drive up to 800ohms?

even if power delivery started to get anemic 200ohms + its still way below

i thought 40ohms would be a walk in the park for mojo

Oct 12, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #23,975 of 42,765
i dont understand this, isnt HE400i around 40ohms? mojo specs say it can drive up to 600ohms?

Actually Chord says the Mojo can drive headphones from 4 Ohm up to 800 Ohms, but the impedance isn't the full story as there is the sensitivity spec as well as the driver type.

That said, the HE400i is a very easy load for pretty much any amplification so the user likely just didn't like the synergy for their tastes. The HE400i has been reported to be bright and so a warmer amp will offset this. It simply isn't a drive ability issue.

Oct 12, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #23,976 of 42,765
Actually Chord says the Mojo can drive headphones from 4 Ohm up to 800 Ohms, but the impedance isn't the full story as there is the sensitivity spec as well as the driver type.

That said, the HE400i is a very easy load for pretty much any amplification so the user likely just didn't like the synergy for their tastes. The HE400i has been reported to be bright and so a warmer amp will offset this. It simply isn't a drive ability issue.

thanks, edited.

well then people need to start stating that its either a power issue or synergy issue because its going to give the wrong idea to anyone interested in such combos.

Oct 12, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #23,977 of 42,765
After almost a year with my Mojo. I can say that it is freaking awesome. You cant have the same feeling with the other dac/amp. Mojo produces sound in a different way....

Oct 12, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #23,978 of 42,765

Actually the 400i is a neutral warm headphone .My buddy owns one and I've heard it on the Mojo many times. It drives it pretty well but not as well as the Oppo PM-1 I'm auditioning. Mojo has great control when driving the PM-1s , much better than my HD 700 .

The synergy between Mojo and 400i will appeal to those who want a relaxing yet still detailed sound. A little boost in treble on the EQ and it sounds even better :)

Oct 12, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #23,979 of 42,765
Actually the 400i is a neutral warm headphone .My buddy owns one and I've heard it on the Mojo many times. It drives it pretty well but not as well as the Oppo PM-1 I'm auditioning. Mojo has great control when driving the PM-1s , much better than my HD 700 .

The synergy between Mojo and 400i will appeal to those who want a relaxing yet still detailed sound. A little boost in treble on the EQ and it sounds even better :)

Yeah, I haven't personally heard the 400i (which is why I said it's reported to sound bright), but read a wide variety of opinions of the 400i, including some stating that it's very bright. Synergy, synergy, synergy. I still maintain, looking at the specs, that drive ability is not the issue from a power perspective as the 400i is easy to drive and the Mojo has gobs of power. Same thing like when someone says the Hugo has way more power to drive difficult headphones. No, the Mojo and Hugo are pretty much the same, power spec wise.

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #23,980 of 42,765
Care to explain 'drives well' from your perspective?

There is a lot more oompth to the sound when Mojo is fed to my friends Mjol 2 in both Liist and tube mode. I tried it in SE and balanced mode and in balanced mode is where I heard the greatest difference in how well the transducer was controlled . It grabbed it by it's neck and bent it to it's will. In short, it made it sing better than Mojo alone could do. The difference is not night and day but it's quite noticable. I'm sure your Dave would drive it as well and/or better.

When I auditoned Hugo a few months ago I was testing out Hifimans lineup of headphones and all of them sounded pretty good out of Hugo with the exception of the HE 1000. I had to turn the volume up to near maximum just to listen to it, and even then it didn't sound as good as when I heard it at an audioshow prior to that audition.

The best pairing IMO was the Edition X and Hugo. It drove it with excellent control and authority, the Edition X's were singing! It was a truely addictive combo and the whole rig can be taken on the go since the editon x was made to be portable.

I think Mojo is great on its own, and synergy aside, can drive the majority of headphones very well.

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #23,981 of 42,765
There is a lot more oompth to the sound when Mojo is fed to my friends Mjol 2 in both Liist and tube mode. I tried it in SE and balanced mode and in balanced mode is where I heard the greatest difference in how well the transducer was controlled . It grabbed it by it's neck and bent it to it's will. In short, it made it sing better than Mojo alone could do. The difference is not night and day but it's quite noticable. I'm sure your Dave would drive it as well and/or better.

When I auditoned Hugo a few months ago I was testing out Hifimans lineup of headphones and all of them sounded pretty good out of Hugo with the exception of the HE 1000. I had to turn the volume up to near maximum just to listen to it, and even then it didn't sound as good as when I heard it at an audioshow prior to that audition.

The best pairing IMO was the Edition X and Hugo. It drive it with excellent control and authority, the Edition X's were singing! It was a truely addictive combo and the whole rig can be taken on the go since the editon x was made to be portable.

I think Mojo is great on its own, and synergy aside, can drive the majority of headphones very well.

I've been pondering the full sized amp 'control' over the transducer for quite a while, even more so since I've had the Liquid Crimson in for a couple months this past summer. Yes, there is more bass impact with that amp vs just the Mojo, but the volume was barely at 9 o'clock and obviously not putting out the full power of the amp. Same with the Mojo, I listen at a relatively low portion of the volume range so there is a lot of headroom. I often wonder if I'm hearing the phat sound coloration from the amp.

Comparing Mojo and DAVE, besides the extra resolution and the much more 'analogue' capabilities of the DAVE, I'm not hearing a night and day difference in 'oomph' with my headphones. Yes, the Mojo sounds less extended on both ends and less engaging, but I certainly don't think to myself that the headphones are actually 'under-powered' being driven from the Mojo in comparison. Oh well, I guess I'm just a little too pragmatic when it comes to the Mojo's drive ability.

:beerchug:

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #23,982 of 42,765
I wouldn't call HE400i bright. The sound was very mid-focused and lacking in both low- and top-end (compared to TH900).

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #23,983 of 42,765
I can easily EQ the Mojo to make it really pronounced treble and pound the bass. And it stays clean.

Oct 13, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #23,984 of 42,765
I've been pondering the full sized amp 'control' over the transducer for quite a while, even more so since I've had the Liquid Crimson in for a couple months this past summer. Yes, there is more bass impact with that amp vs just the Mojo, but the volume was barely at 9 o'clock and obviously not putting out the full power of the amp. Same with the Mojo, I listen at a relatively low portion of the volume range so there is a lot of headroom. I often wonder if I'm hearing the phat sound coloration from the amp.

Comparing Mojo and DAVE, besides the extra resolution and the much more 'analogue' capabilities of the DAVE, I'm not hearing a night and day difference in 'oomph' with my headphones. Yes, the Mojo sounds less extended on both ends and less engaging, but I certainly don't think to myself that the headphones are actually 'under-powered' being driven from the Mojo in comparison. Oh well, I guess I'm just a little too pragmatic when it comes to the Mojo's drive ability.

beerchug.gif

I measured both Mojo and Hugo and they have the same peak voltage output at around 5.3 Vrms. They have the same power output given the same phone. The difference in sound perceived as reported by other people could be coming from other variables. 

I have been comparing Hugo and Mojo and for most headphones I have tried they both sound identical. Except for a few iems (AKT8ie) where I perceive a very small difference. But then it's more likely the difference is just in my head and there is not much in reality. Except for the Stax headphones and HE-6 every headphones I have don't have any issues driven by Mojo or Hugo. 

Oct 13, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #23,985 of 42,765
I measured both Mojo and Hugo and they have the same peak voltage output at around 5.3 Vrms. They have the same power output given the same phone. The difference in sound perceived as reported by other people could be coming from other variables. 

I have been comparing Hugo and Mojo and for most headphones I have tried they both sound identical. Except for a few iems (AKT8ie) where I perceive a very small difference. But then it's more likely the difference is just in my head and there is not much in reality. Except for the Stax headphones and HE-6 every headphones I have don't have any issues driven by Mojo or Hugo. 
your head is reality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back