Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 30, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #23,476 of 42,765
Hi guys,

I recently purchased this DAC and have paired it with the Shure SE846 IEMs. When I plug the IEM into the DAC and turn it on, I hear a quiet humming noise (this is without the DAC plugged into phone - source). It stops when I turn off the DAC. I have also tried pairing the DAC with my old SE535s and can also hear the noise but its not as obvious.
When I play music of course, I can't hear the humming / hissing / static noise.

Just wondering if this is normal or if it requires replacement.

Cheers

Sep 30, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #23,477 of 42,765
I have mixed feelings about it. The sensitivity to RFI is insane and the noise floor is pretty high... But if I put my phone in HSPA+ mode instead of LTE (different frequency band) the RFI isn't a problem and noise isn't terribly distracting with music playing. I really like the sound though. I don't have measurements to back it up, so I don't want to speculate... But it's my favorite sounding amp. I consider it more transportable than portable though... It's very microphonic, so not sure I'd try carrying it in my pocket.

Thanks, that's a pleasingly measured and non-kool aid post for Head-Fi. It sounds like something that it would be nice to have when travelling, for unpacking you your hotel room, though, rather than for walking about with- I did wonder about the microphonics.

It's probably possible to convince myself that I can live without one, but it does appeal somewhat..

Sep 30, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #23,478 of 42,765
Hi guys,

I recently purchased this DAC and have paired it with the Shure SE846 IEMs. When I plug the IEM into the DAC and turn it on, I hear a quiet humming noise (this is without the DAC plugged into phone - source). It stops when I turn off the DAC. I have also tried pairing the DAC with my old SE535s and can also hear the noise but its not as obvious.

Cheers

Hum is different than static. For the hum, try unplugging the power supply from the DAC.

For the static, IEMs are sensitive and the SE846 is very sensitive. I've used both the SE535 and SE846 with the Mojo and am confident that what you are hearing is the noise floor. If it really bothers you, try an impedance adapter... Someone pointed me to the iFi iEMatch once, but I've never tried it.

Sep 30, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #23,479 of 42,765
  Hi guys,

Cheers

What you are hearing is the noise floor or popularly called as Hiss. It is normal to hear it when you are using sensitive and low impedance IEMs. Unless the sound is loud and unbearable. As long as you are hearing the hiss only in a silent environment, your are fine.

Sep 30, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #23,480 of 42,765
Hum is different than static. For the hum, try unplugging the power supply from the DAC.

For the static, IEMs are sensitive and the SE846 is very sensitive. I've used both the SE535 and SE846 with the Mojo and am confident that what you are hearing is the noise floor. If it really bothers you, try an impedance adapter... Someone pointed me to the iFi iEMatch once, but I've never tried it.

Wow, really, you got hiss in the 535? I've found it all inky-black with my SE535 out of my Mojo. I don't have access to serious acoustically treated rooms with super-low noise floors any more, but at least in my boring office, I can't hear it.. Just spent a few minutes trying. I wonder if there's some variance that could account for it, or I'm just good at ignoring it?

(..and agreed, hum is most likely grounding related..)

Sep 30, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #23,481 of 42,765
Wow, really, you got hiss in the 535? I've found it all inky-black with my SE535 out of my Mojo. I don't have access to serious acoustically treated rooms with super-low noise floors any more, but at least in my boring office, I can't hear it.. Just spent a few minutes trying. I wonder if there's some variance that could account for it, or I'm just good at ignoring it?

(..and agreed, hum is most likely grounding related..)

I don't think I've ever listened in an acoustically treated room. Well, an RF chamber that's eerily quiet I guess.

I use my 535s when working out a lot... I've had them for a long time and haven't always treated them with the most care. Something may have degraded over time. I can definitely hear it with the 535, but it is much quieter than the SE846 or Andromeda.

Sep 30, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #23,482 of 42,765
Thanks, that's a pleasingly measured and non-kool aid post for Head-Fi. It sounds like something that it would be nice to have when travelling, for unpacking you your hotel room, though, rather than for walking about with- I did wonder about the microphonics.

It's probably possible to convince myself that I can live without one, but it does appeal somewhat..

This is exactly what I will be using mine for. Since the Mojo has two outputs my stack now includes both the Rx and Cv5. Might look a little scary at the TSA checkpoints, but you only live once.

Sep 30, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #23,484 of 42,765
Hi guys,

Cheers

Get ifi Iematch will solve your problem

Sep 30, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #23,486 of 42,765
I just got the Cable Pack and here are my thoughts:

Good
  1. The module itself fits precisely and the internals appear to be a PCB and not simple wires.
  2. The silicon straps are the best design I've seen. They are much more narrow than most other straps/bands.
  3. The fit with iPhone 7 is very balanced now (sorry, but it's a little difficult trying to take a photo since my camera is the aforementioned iPhone 7).
  4. Combined with the better fit and the straps, I can easily access 100% of the iPhone UI and no issues with home button access.
  5. CCK cable fits nice and snug into the module.
  6. 6.3mm to 2.5mm adapter was a nice surprise.

Bad
  1. Module is plastic
  2. With all the cables  included, it's surprising there is not one that is a USB B female to B female for desktop use. The module port is very specific to CCK dimensions so it will not accommodate most USB B female connectors. I found one on Amazon that fits - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N9HRUJU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
  3. No 3.5mm to dual RCA cable
  4. A lot of the included cables will go unused in my case.

In summary, the Cable Pack does what it was designed to do - enhance connectivity with portable devices and better fit for stacking. However, I prefer to to keep the module on for desktop use as well because I personally am not a fan of micro USB connectors as I find them pretty fragile. Lastly, as you can tell, I am not gushing about this accessories. It's a fine product but I am still feeling the sting of $100 USD. Had it been closer to $50, I would be really encouraging every Mojo owner to get one. At $100, I say the same thing I do for all expensive audio components - only you and your wallet should decide if it's worth it. For me, this cures my OCD with the micro USB connector and the size mismatch with my iPhone.

Sep 30, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #23,487 of 42,765
Anyone else still experiencing the iOS 10 connections issue?

They had recent bug fix but it is still hit or miss connecting to mojo for me including restarts and cable swapping.

I use Tidal and Apple lossless so switching to a non Apple phone or dap is a consideration but if there's a simple fix, I'd prefer.

No issues prior to this.
Larvicable no longer working at all.

Opinions - advice appreciated.

Thank you

Sep 30, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #23,488 of 42,765
Anyone else still experiencing the iOS 10 connections issue?

They had recent bug fix but it is still hit or miss connecting to mojo for me including restarts and cable swapping.

I use Tidal and Apple lossless so switching to a non Apple phone or dap is a consideration but if there's a simple fix, I'd prefer.

No issues prior to this.
Larvicable no longer working at all.

Opinions - advice appreciated.

Thank you

There is no "quick" or "simple" fix if your cable does not have a genuine Apple MFI chip embedded in the adapter. Here is an article that explains why with quotes from DHC cables:

http://gizmodo.com/5945889/some-third-party-adapters-might-not-work-with-your-new-iphone

You can checkout Penon Audio. They have a custom lightning cable that uses a genuine MFI chip that they harvest from genuine CCK cables. If you still don't want MFI certified cables then your other alternative is find a version of iOS that works for your cable, then never update your device.

Sep 30, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #23,489 of 42,765

There is no "quick" or "simple" fix if your cable does not have a genuine Apple MFI chip embedded in the adapter. Here is an article that explains why with quotes from DHC cables:

http://gizmodo.com/5945889/some-third-party-adapters-might-not-work-with-your-new-iphone

You can checkout Penon Audio. They have a custom lightning cable that uses a genuine MFI chip that they harvest from genuine CCK cables. If you still don't want MFI certified cables then your other alternative is find a version of iOS that works for your cable, then never update your device.

This where closed platform, end-to-end control falls apart... And why I don't like Apple products.

Sep 30, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #23,490 of 42,765
I'm wondering if anyone had to confront the same issue: I have WIN10 and installed the driver from the Chord website and both in JRiver and Foobar the only option I see is "ASIO CHORD 1.05"

And when I try to play back something it always says:

Do I miss something? How come there's no Wasapi option for this driver?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back