Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 1, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #22,039 of 42,765

Hi! How is the Chord Mojo sound and amp section compared to the Acoustic Research AR-M2?

Thanking you in advance!
Roi

1. The Mojo does not have an output amplifier section 

Well that's a theoretical construct isn't it. Hugo, TT, Dave all don't as well but they ave an amp in a sense. Output in the sense that mojo does not have balanced out or RCA out capabilities is true. But there is roughly a half a watt out into 46 ohms but as I have learnt through chord and other dac/amps one can't judge watt output alone to indicate total and qualitative output. There are many factors from power etc... That effects scale slam etc...
I do not know ar m2 so maybe my post is off base.

Sep 1, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #22,040 of 42,765
Hi thanks, so the AR-M2 is the ideal partner for the Beyerdynamic T1 gen 2s?

What he means is the 'amp' section is different than most conventional devices. As the title of the thread says you can read the third post for detailed information from the Mojo's designer about how and why the Mojo is different (also why a lot of Mojo owners are very, very happy).

Looking at the measurements the Mojo kills the AR-M2. Synergy wise you'll need another member to chime in as I haven't heard the T1, and I haven't heard the AR-M2.

Sep 1, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #22,041 of 42,765
Mojo, Hugo, TT, Dave all have the amp and dac archetecture as one on the motherboard. There is in effect an amp.
Mojo, Hugo and TT total output are similar but trust me mojo, Hugo, TT do not have the same qualitative output. Mojo

Sep 1, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #22,042 of 42,765
Mojo, Hugo, TT, Dave all have the amp and dac archetecture as one on the motherboard. There is in effect an amp.

There is the Current to Voltage output like all DACs, but the analogue filter and Voltage boost amp are not required, as I understand it. Hence, it's more like a variable line-out (with digital volume control) than an amp.

Sep 1, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #22,043 of 42,765

There is the Current to Voltage output like all DACs, but the analogue filter and Voltage boost amp are not required, as I understand it. Hence, it's more like a variable line-out (with digital volume control) than an amp.

True and while output in watts into 46 ohms are similar between mojo, Hugo, and TT after testing and or owning all, I can say the scale slam and mid detail are not the same. Mojo < Hugo < TT in this regard. ( not slamming)

Sep 1, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #22,044 of 42,765
True and while output in watts into 46 ohms are similar between mojo, Hugo, and TT after testing and or owning all, I can say the scale slam and mid detail are not the same. Mojo

Ok, but nobody said they sounded the same. Just clarifying the earlier 'no amp' comment.

:beerchug:

Sep 1, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #22,045 of 42,765
True and while output in watts into 46 ohms are similar between mojo, Hugo, and TT after testing and or owning all, I can say the scale slam and mid detail are not the same. Mojo

Ok, but nobody said they sounded the same. Just clarifying the earlier 'no amp' comment.

:beerchug:

It was not implied that they were the same but output in a technical sense is about a half watt for all three, in refrence to the amp question for mojo.

Sep 1, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #22,046 of 42,765
Sep 1, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #22,048 of 42,765
It was not implied that they were the same but output in a technical sense is about a half watt for all three, in refrence to the amp question for mojo.

Just curious why your bringing the other Chord gear to the conversation is all. The guy was asking about a comparison between the AR-M2 and Mojo, not Hugo, and Hugo TT comparisons. We'll end up talking in circles and no one is 'wrong' here. I read Rob's comments in the TT thread referencing the output @46 Ohms. It just has no relevance to the initial question.

Sep 1, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #22,049 of 42,765

Just curious why your bringing the other Chord gear to the conversation is all. The guy was asking about a comparison between the AR-M2 and Mojo, not Hugo, and Hugo TT comparisons. We'll end up talking in circles and no one is 'wrong' here. I read Rob's comments in the TT thread referencing the output @46 Ohms. It just has no relevance to the initial question.

Sorry for the confusion, it seemed a tie in to a question on amp output, and driving t1 2nd gen. What would be ideal given watt output. Please carry on.

Sep 1, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #22,050 of 42,765

Hi, I don't have the option to test, unfortunately!

Ultimately you are best demoing the mojo, even if that is through a friend of yours who has a mojo.

The nearest opinion that I can give, is that I have a mojo and most of my listening is done though a pair of Beyer T51is. They share the Tesla driver technology used in the T1s.
They are my favourite headphones to use with the Mojo (my other pairs are Grado GR80, Sennheiser SE598SE, Beyer HD770 Pro, which are not mean performers themselves, but cannot quite match the treble resolution), and feeding the mojo into a pair of focal speakers sounds slightly dull in comparison. I do question myself as to whether some people would find the T51is 'too bright' for their tastes, and maybe a similar question would apply with the T1s. This is a big reason why it is best for you to demo the sound, if possible.

I was tempted by the T1s, but I chose the T51is, as the cheapest way to explore the Tesla experience - I do not regret buying them for the mojo - but this is just my opinion, so please demo yourself if at all possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back