Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 24, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #21,661 of 42,765
Awesome. The delivery here in the UK from China is September/October so a bit of a wait. I guess it can be put through the letter box so good thing that no one needs to be here to receive it.

Not sure how long it will take to get to the US I have not received an email with tracking information yet.

Aug 24, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #21,662 of 42,765

Does this cable include/mimic cck?

The marketing says it is for i devices and the Mojo so I hope it will I will find out for sure when it shows up.

Aug 24, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #21,664 of 42,765
@Traveller, I don't think it has analog source but it was mixed with some kind of compression mimicking the analog source. I can't really understand why audiophile love this album so much. for me norah Jones has pretty one dimensional voice with limited range . that's why other albums after come away with me were not so popular. since the the album is natively digital , the vinyl can only be as good as the dac which was used to cut the vinyl master. so even on vinyl theoretically you are listening to the dac.

I think the criticism of NJ voice is out of line. Her albums following Come Away with Me, did not do less well because of her voice. I would have listened to them endlessly if to me they grabbed me like Come Away With Me. Her third album sounds saturated in some sort of weird engineering, where it sounds dull. Many of the tracks on her third album have not grabbed me in the same way as tracks on Come Away With Me, either. However I have not listened to it quite enough to make a qualitative evaluation. I found Come Away With Me took me quite a lot of listens. However CAWM had likeable tones and interesting themes which made me listen more. It's an album that I have revelled in sometimes.

Her think so far, I find her second album has likeability somewhere between the first and third.

Aug 24, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #21,665 of 42,765
@Traveller, yes I meant foobar sacd decoder plugin, that must be auto correct by the mobile phone. the foobar warning about asio is due to the fact that asio drivers are third party drivers by the dacs manufacturers so in some cases there might have been problems/conflict of asio drivers with Windows process. but chord asio drivers have never given any problems. during my comparison of the dsd and pcm version I did not hear any volume difference. in your case there must have been +6db gain which is by default in foobar sometimes while playing dsd. that gain is not required in foobar as chord dacs apply +6db gain to dsd during processing.

Aug 24, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #21,666 of 42,765

Cool, looking forward to seeing your update. It looks like a nice quality cable, certainly nicer that the Fiio L19 I've been using 

I looked at that fiio Cable myself could not get past how big the lightning connector side was.

Aug 25, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #21,668 of 42,765
Is the Chord Mojo better suited to general Music listening rather than Movie?

The reason I ask is because it seems limited on Surround Sound Soundstage compared to my Linn Amplifier, but the Mojo is much much much better on Music.

Today I was listening to 1 of the songs and able to differentiate 7 steps of surround sound of 1 instrument with 2016 EL-8 Closed and MOJO Chord. It was a wow movement for me.

Aug 25, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #21,669 of 42,765
Hey guys,

Trying to go through the 1445 pages of material this past 3 days. I hate to repeat a question. Sorry in advance.
I'm really new to the hi-fi world. My sole investment up to date is the akt8ie in-ears from Astell&Kern/Beyerdynamics. I'm using this to listen to 320kbs mp3 from iPhone 6 and MacBook Pro. It was a huge upgrade in SQ for me, after the Etymotic hf5. 

I was always intimidated by the DACs. Thinking of carrying another piece of equipment is a hassle by itself. But, after researching for 3 days, i think that Mojo is a very good choice.

My question is, will it transform my listening experience? Yes, i know that this is not an easy question. There are lots of variables at hand.
Just think of it this way. If we compare it to my headphone switch mentioned before. The difference you would hear after that.

Just bear in mind, this would be my first ever DAC. I cannot claim that i'm a veteran audiophile. Just a guy enjoying little nuances in a recording.
Of course, at the end of the day, being a newbie, the question arises. After spending 900 EUR on headphones, another 600 would be doable, but does it really worth it? 

Aug 25, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #21,670 of 42,765
Hey guys,

Trying to go through the 1445 pages of material this past 3 days. I hate to repeat a question. Sorry in advance.
I'm really new to the hi-fi world. My sole investment up to date is the akt8ie in-ears from Astell&Kern/Beyerdynamics. I'm using this to listen to 320kbs mp3 from iPhone 6 and MacBook Pro. It was a huge upgrade in SQ for me, after the Etymotic hf5. 

I was always intimidated by the DACs. Thinking of carrying another piece of equipment is a hassle by itself. But, after researching for 3 days, i think that Mojo is a very good choice.

My question is, will it transform my listening experience? Yes, i know that this is not an easy question. There are lots of variables at hand.
Just think of it this way. If we compare it to my headphone switch mentioned before. The difference you would hear after that.

Just bear in mind, this would be my first ever DAC. I cannot claim that i'm a veteran audiophile. Just a guy enjoying little nuances in a recording.
Of course, at the end of the day, being a newbie, the question arises. After spending 900 EUR on headphones, another 600 would be doable, but does it really worth it? 

Simple and small answer :
Yes it really will be...:blush:... And that to a very good extent.

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #21,672 of 42,765
  Hey guys,

There are many posters, who consider the combination of the Mojo plus the AK T8ies to be a match made in heaven.
For example read some of the posts by Peter Hyatt mentioned in this post http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/20895#post_12773158

I was interested in buying some AK T8ies to partner with my Mojo, however I was cautious because of the poor reliability reports for the Mk1. I still wanted to experience the Tesla technology, so I bought a pair of the Beyer T51i phones. I know that they are on ear, and not in ear, but their sound signature has convinced me that the AK T8ies must sound special, and be well suited to the Mojo.

I think that my experience with the Mojo, mirrors many other posters on this thread/forum. Briefly the Mojo:

1. makes high bitrate MP3s sound almost indistinguishable from CDs (it does improve low bitrate MP3s a bit, but there is only so much that can be achieved with such poor starting material.)
  2. makes well mastered red book CDs sound so good, that you wonder if there is any need to buy HiRes versions of songs
  3. has such a low noise floor, and such good handling of musical transients, that you start to hear much more detail from CDs you thought that you already knew inside out.
  4. because the Mojo is so revealing, it does mean that you can easily hear which tracks were poorly mastered, plus low levels of interference from the innards of your phone or computer etc. So the Mojo does reward a bit of time spent to select the best performing (note I am not saying the most expensive) USB cable, plus music player and settings, to ensure that you are supplying a bitperfect signal as the input material. There is plenty of advice about how to do this on post #3 of this thread.

This thread contains posts from many people who demoed the Mojo out of curiousity, and were moved to order one straight away.
It is not right to advise you to buy a Mojo unheard (although that is what I did), but I can suggest that you demo the Mojo, and I don't think that you will regret it.

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #21,673 of 42,765
I also recommend reading Rob's discussions, listed in post #3 -  not in order to be geeky, but because they paint a very broad picture of the nuances of Mojos operation, and the way these may interact with the subjective perception of how Mojo sounds (including why some people find Mojo becomes more impressive, to their ears/brain, over time, as opposed to necessarily being instantly impressive at first listen).

Aug 25, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #21,674 of 42,765
  I also recommend reading Rob's discussions, listed in post #3 -  not in order to be geeky, but because they paint a very broad picture of the nuances of Mojos operation, and the way these may interact with the subjective perception of how Mojo sounds (including why some people find Mojo becomes more impressive, to their ears/brain, over time, as opposed to necessarily being instantly impressive at first listen).

I think this is key.

Going from something like Apple earbuds to the akt8ie would be an immediate/in-your-face/blatantly obvious/holy crap/amazing upgrade.

Going from sources with no external DAC to sources with a nice external DAC (like Mojo) would probably hit you more and more over time, but maybe not immediately.

It may be tempting after going through experience #1 to think that every upgrade would be so immediate...but you might be setting yourself up for disappointment if you're thinking instantaneous night/day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back