Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 20, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #21,541 of 42,765
when mojo driver from chord website is installed , it installs mojo as a device and mojo asio driver. in foobar you can select mojo as a device though wasapi push or event. one can also select chord asio as output. while wasapi already sounds very good but imho it still requires setting up of maximum sample rate in Windows as far as I know. selecting asio is the most hassle free and direct route to mojo. it automatically sends the bit perfect output to mojo and the mojo clock pulls the data . set volume of foobar to 100%, disable replay gain, select the maximum memory as per the file size of the song ( in advance settings of foobar as far as I remember) and you are ready for the treat. in fact selecting asio does not require any sort of software like fidelizer until unless you have a very slow PC. playing dsd from foobar as dop is a bit tricky and requires a bit of trial. but once you see white light on mojo through foobar , you know how good mojo is for dsd. I successfully sent dsd256 as dop to mojo through foobar where j river failed. imho foobar is the least intrusive and lightest player which sends the cleanest stream to mojo or any dac. I was very keen on using hqplayer for software upsampling but it does not do justice to the much more advance processing of mojo and other chord dacs .

Aug 20, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #21,543 of 42,765
when mojo driver from chord website is installed , it installs mojo as a device and mojo asio driver. in foobar you can select mojo as a device though wasapi push or event. one can also select chord asio as output. while wasapi already sounds very good but imho it still requires setting up of maximum sample rate in Windows as far as I know. selecting asio is the most hassle free and direct route to mojo. it automatically sends the bit perfect output to mojo and the mojo clock pulls the data . set volume of foobar to 100%, disable replay gain, select the maximum memory as per the file size of the song ( in advance settings of foobar as far as I remember) and you are ready for the treat. in fact selecting asio does not require any sort of software like fidelizer until unless you have a very slow PC. playing dsd from foobar as dop is a bit tricky and requires a bit of trial. but once you see white light on mojo through foobar , you know how good mojo is for dsd. I successfully sent dsd256 as dop to mojo through foobar where j river failed. imho foobar is the least intrusive and lightest player which sends the cleanest stream to mojo or any dac. I was very keen on using hqplayer for software upsampling but it does not do justice to the much more advance processing of mojo and other chord dacs .

I think that the chord asio driver, also requires 'bad' packets of music data to be resent by the computer, until correct bitperfect packets are received. This is not the default behaviour for Mac or Android, so this is another reason why the chord driver is recommended.

Aug 20, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #21,544 of 42,765

TY for this post for begginers in PC audio like me. I've always had a stereo speaker setup, played through cd players so new to pc audio. Anyway, I've managed for the first time just now choosing Chord Asio as driver in Roon and JRiver 22 and now playing youtube videos through jriver22 instead of through Internet Explorer and sound is much much better.(Not that it sounded bad prior, it sounded very good for the price but now even better.) And also for some reason I couldn't choose chord asio as the driver under Roon+Tidal settings, but after choosing Jriver22 chord asio as driver, I was also able to choose chord asio as driver for Roon - Currently setting is set to DSD over PCM and chose DSD capable DAC in options.

Now, the sound. It's annoying that I missed out on this much sound past few months. It is almost like a free heaephone, or dac , or higher amp upgrade. Maybe even more, because with the prior, there is always something wrong that makes you wanna upgrade, but for whatever reason and it might be something along the lines of "new toy syndrome" (Although in my case it's really about setting the correct options), tracks sound perfect. (Chord Mojo WITH Chord ASIO driver and LCD 2.2 Pre-Fazor under Roon+Tidal music softwares.)

It tells me how important file res. /bit-perfect mode are, as well as how good of a dac/amp Mojo is.

I usually always slam down a product as a consumer if I don't like it/does not deserve the praise even knowing I'd most likely be trolled hard by the die hard fan-boys of the particular product, but man, the Mojo is very nice indeed. :)

Edit: Will definately try Foobar 2000 tommorrow rkt (read your post right after I finished setting it up), as I was working on getting the above setup correctly for past hour or so and too tired to do anything right now. :D

Aug 20, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #21,545 of 42,765
it reminds me once again how important file res. /bit-perfect mode are, as well as how good of a dac/amp Mojo is.

Glad that the posts helped you.
Now that you are sending good bitperfect music data to your Mojo, I think that you will experience the same musical journey as many of the other posters.
i found that Mojo reveals just how good many CDs can sound, and revealed many details that were previously 'hidden'. Owners start revisiting/rediscovering their CD collections. The amount of detail I could now hear, certainly made me question the need to chase expensive HiRes downloads. 

Aug 20, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #21,546 of 42,765
today while going for evening walk I started fiio x3 playing dsd files in dop. but somehow fiio x3 hung. so I quickly connected my redmi s1 to mojo using uapp as I didn't want to waste my time to start experiencing the mojo . mojo is such a versatile piece of equipment that you can connect to any dap or portable source. now I keep waiting daily for my evening walk to begin.

Aug 20, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #21,547 of 42,765
After a few listening sessions with my new Mojo, I am pleased to say it is a noticeable improvement over my other DACs (Apogee Groove & DragonFly Black).  When I was younger, I used to believe I could hear minute differences in gear or audiophile hacks (remember the green markers on the edge of your CDs or placing coins half-perched on the tops of your speakers?) - but nowadays I'm less influenced by the placebo effect and find it harder to discern differences between good quality headphone DACs & amps, so I was ready to be underwhelmed by the Mojo.  Surprisingly though, it is discernibly better than my other DACs & amps.

Aug 20, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #21,548 of 42,765
Aug 20, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #21,549 of 42,765
Ooops - my mistake
wink_face.gif

Aug 20, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #21,550 of 42,765

I am not clear in this issue. I am currently using Chord's own drivers that I've downloaded through their site. The upsampling is being done within chord drivers through sound properties in windows. Even with 384hz, it sounds far better than 44.1 to my ears. This upsampling isn't being done with windows default sound drivers that window come with, but with chords asio driver through usb input. (usb 3.0)

I just don't have any option to go higher than 384kz.

So what kind of hi-res audio is packed with Youtube videos...? Are you expecting 768KHz PCM or do you mean DSD formats when you say "going higher".

AFAIK, the Chord drivers, like most "device drivers" are used by the OS to define said device. They do not actually process anything, let alone up-sample the source. It's the OS that up-samples should you set the parameters to values higher than the actual source files.

EDIT: FWIW, 384KHz is the highest (PCM) sample rate selectable on my W10 platform, despite Chord's driver-description-name...
29084683576_7f169db0af.jpg

29012132962_4e0b6ed29e.jpg

29084683316_784d4c3c25.jpg

29084683526_3a67d4991b.jpg

Aug 20, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #21,551 of 42,765

In order to USB's enumeration process initiates you need the +5V; once done you can remove the +5V.
It may make sense to have a DIY USB cable with separate power line provided that Mojo is working on battery.
I didn't try it myself yet (sacrifice an old cable) in order to know if it will bring any significative SQ improvement.
Cheers.
popcorn.gif

not exactly correct and many dacs work without any handshake.  Matrix X-Sabre and many Xmos receiver based dacs that are NOT USB powered do not need the 5 volt for handshake or anything else and work perfectly.

Someone needs to tape off the 5 v pin on the USB A end of cable to confirm with the Mojo.

Aug 20, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #21,552 of 42,765
not exactly correct and many dacs work without any handshake.  Matrix X-Sabre and many Xmos receiver based dacs that are NOT USB powered do not need the 5 volt for handshake or anything else and work perfectly.

Someone needs to tape off the 5 v pin on the USB A end of cable to confirm with the Mojo.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/21405#post_12797614

Mojo needs the +5v on the USB VBUS wire permanently; I use this wire simply to tell the FPGA to select the USB as an input, then to shut down power to the OPT receiver and coax SPDIF interface chip.

The wire is just used to sense, and is very heavily filtered; there is no way RF noise from this line can affect Mojo, so don't worry about it.

Rob

Aug 20, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #21,553 of 42,765
http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/21405#post_12797614

@x relic X

thanks for that, I saw it a few pages after my response.  Makes it hard to respond to a post when you forget there are 4-5 more pages to go, haha.

Point about many Xmos based dacs and bridges not needing 5 volts for anything stands however.

cheers

Aug 20, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #21,554 of 42,765
:beerchug:

Aug 20, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #21,555 of 42,765
So what kind of hi-res audio is packed with Youtube videos...? Are you expecting 768KHz PCM or do you mean DSD formats when you say "going higher".

AFAIK, the Chord drivers, like most "device drivers" are used by the OS to define said device. They do not actually process anything, let alone up-sample the source. It's the OS that up-samples should you set the parameters to values higher than the actual source files.

EDIT: FWIW, 384KHz is the highest (PCM) sample rate selectable on my W10 platform, despite Chord's driver-description-name...
29084683576_7f169db0af.jpg

29012132962_4e0b6ed29e.jpg

29084683316_784d4c3c25.jpg

29084683526_3a67d4991b.jpg

OK, exactly like mine. TY.

I meant upto DSD. I thought it would upsample in windows of any res. file upto DSD if used with Chords driver using any software. Even when using plain Internet Explorer to stream Youtube for instance. I take it that is not that case and it's still windows doing the upsampling. As I said, new to PC audio, TY for your confirmation and screenshots. Looks exactly like mine. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back