Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 19, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #21,512 of 42,765

Its your lucky day. The target had Santiago 20i and Santiago 20ii. Both can hold a Mojo and a USB cable but is somewhat a tight fit. Santiago 20i is slightly smaller than the 20ii. 20ii has a foam pad inside, that takes up a lot of space. It is held in place by a dual side tape and looks like you can take it off easily. Without the foam pad, 20ii should have more than enough space for a Mojo + USB Cable and some wiggle room.

Hope that helps!

Thanks again, EagleWings.  Who'd thought Target had a good camera case selection.

Aug 19, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #21,514 of 42,765
I was looking for a fix in this thread but wasn't sure what keyword to search for...

I just got my Mojo and have a problem with the first half-second of every new track being cut off.  I'm using it with a MacBook Pro Retina and the problem happens with iTunes, Tidal, Spotify, and Vox (every program I've tried).  I don't have this problem with my DragonFly Black, Apogee Groove, or Apogee Uno.

Is there a fix for this?

Also, I noticed clicking sound when scrolling my trackpad in Safari.  I dropped the sampling rate in the Audio/MIDI Setup and that corrected the problem.  I'm now running it at 44.1K

Aug 19, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #21,515 of 42,765
  I was looking for a fix in this thread but wasn't sure what keyword to search for...

I just got my Mojo and have a problem with the first half-second of every new track being cut off.  I'm using it with a MacBook Pro Retina and the problem happens with iTunes, Tidal, Spotify, and Vox (every program I've tried).  I don't have this problem with my DragonFly Black, Apogee Groove, or Apogee Uno.

Is there a fix for this?

Also, I noticed clicking sound when scrolling my trackpad in Safari.  I dropped the sampling rate in the Audio/MIDI Setup and that corrected the problem.  I'm now running it at 44.1K

I've just answered your post in the Mojo issues thread - please try not to double-post.

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Aug 19, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #21,516 of 42,765
Phew, has been a long time since the last time I checked this thread.

That being said, I had chance to compare Mojo with several phones. I also got HD800.

vs ModiU/MagniU: Mojo is clearly better. MMU are quite grainy compared to smooth Mojo.
vs Micro iDSD: Close, but Micro sounds quite 'digital' (metallic), especially on treble. Mojo wins portability factor.

To answer question "is Mojo able to drive HD800?"
Yes, Mojo is more than enough to drive HD800 volume wise. The sound quality is good enough for portable use. Mojo's smooth, subdued treble helps reducing HD800 treble but EQ is advised if possible. But I won't compare Mojo to $500-and-up good desktop DACs & amps.

vs Gungnir/Mjolnir: Mojo feels exhausted. Less attack/impact/dynamic, Mojo is warmer.
vs Questyle Quadbrick: this is the best setup for HD800 I've ever tried. The timbre, the speed, oooh so delicious.

Consistenly, I feel that Mojo doesn't have power of good desktop setups.

vs Questyle QP1r: tie, depends on preference. Mojo is mid-centric, qp1r is slightly V-shaped. The elevated treble on qp1r creates illusion that qp1r produces more details & air. EDM, rock, instumental sound better from qp1r meawhile Mojo slays jazz, vocal, acoustic, pop.

Aug 19, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #21,517 of 42,765
Mython,

Thanks for the reply.  That sucks there's no fix.  I can empathize with the problem Chord was trying to solve, but I'd prefer to accept the risk of a signal spike to my headphones over losing the first half-second of every track I listen to.  I haven't had any problem with my other DACs.  I'm shocked that more people aren't outraged by this limitation, and rather limit using the Mojo to certain programs where the problem doesn't exist.

I'm not sure what apps let's you insert a silence before every track, but I'd like to have the choice to use any program.  Can I configure this in iTunes, Spotify, or Tidal - or do I have to buy an expensive program that doesn't integrate with my sources of music?

Chord should offer a firmware upgrade that allows owners to switch this behavior off & on.

The funny thing is I was planning to demo the Mojo to my friends - but now I'm embarrassed.  "You paid how much money?!  And it drops the first second of every track?!? LMAO!"

Mark

P.S. I'm not using any fancy bit rates: 256Kpbs in iTunes, and the high-quality settings in Spotify and Tidal.  In Vox, I'm using AAC lossless rips of CDs, but I haven't ripped much of my library to AAC yet.

Aug 19, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #21,518 of 42,765
  You should relax - The only non-official US dealer i remember being mentioned is Massdrop. Several other legit dealers get regularly mentioned, and i think the only stress was occurring in the first few pages of this thread, during the first few days that Mojo was on sale (and in very short supply). If someone saw the mojo in stock on a webpage, and then went away to make a coffee, the dealer was already sold out ten minutes later.
The supply chain to dealers normalised itself months ago.

Enjoy the weekend compiling your playlist of music to test your new Mojo, then make sure you headphones or amp works, that you have the correct cables, and then sit back and enjoy a beer.  
beerchug.gif

Compiled music check
Earbuds headphones check
The correct cables to connect everything check
Beer check
beerchug.gif

Aug 19, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #21,519 of 42,765

I just got my Mojo and have the problem with the first half-second of a track is cut off.  It happens on a MacBook Pro with Vox and Tidal.  I haven't tried other apps yet.

Chord really needs to provide a firmware update to fix this.  I don't have this problem with any other DAC.

Mojo in common with Hugo has a mute function . This occurs when the usb changes sample rate or switches to dsd. This is to eliminating the huge bangs that some os creates. Losing half a second is better than losing your headphone drivers.... Rob

The problem of muting the initial start is due to certain OS and apps - when the sample rate changes, the data in the buffers get sent out at the wrong rate. When you switch from DSD to PCM you then get a loud bang, or track played at the wrong rate for a period. Now this fault is in the app, its absolutely nothing to do with the DAC.

So to fix the apps problem, if the sample rate changes, I force a mute for 0.5 seconds, so that you do not hear these noises. On some apps, you can force a small silent period at the beginning and this solves the issue.

If I didn't do this I would have people complaining about bangs thumps and music being played at the wrong rate. Better silence than shots being fired off!  

Rob

Some applications allow to set a delay in milliseconds, to overcome this.

Also, I noticed clicking sound when scrolling my trackpad in Safari.  I dropped the sampling rate in the Audio/MIDI Setup and that corrected the problem.

Your computer will consume quite a lot of CPU resources if unnecessarily upsampling, by default.

What resolution music files are you playing?

Quote:
  Mython,

Thanks for the reply.  That sucks there's no fix.  I can empathize with the problem Chord was trying to solve, but I'd prefer to accept the risk of a signal spike to my headphones over losing the first half-second of every track I listen to.  I haven't had any problem with my other DACs.  I'm shocked that more people aren't outraged by this limitation, and rather limit using the Mojo to certain programs where the problem doesn't exist.

I'm not sure what apps let's you insert a silence before every track, but I'd like to have the choice to use any program.  Can I configure this in iTunes, Spotify, or Tidal - or do I have to buy an expensive program that doesn't integrate with my sources of music?

Chord should offer a firmware upgrade that allows owners to switch this behavior off & on.

The funny thing is I was planning to demo the Mojo to my friends - but now I'm embarrassed.  "You paid how much money?!  And it drops the first second of every track?!? LMAO!"

Mark

P.S. I'm not using any fancy bit rates: 256Kpbs in iTunes, and the high-quality settings in Spotify and Tidal.  In Vox, I'm using AAC lossless rips of CDs, but I haven't ripped much of my library to AAC yet.

Be careful not to confuse bitrate of a file with sample rate of a file.    (related post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/21240#post_12788373)

The 256kbps (kilobits per second) bitrate you refer to, in a standard iTunes file isn't of any particular concern, in relation to our current discussion.

But if you are using Tidal HQ, and standard iTunes files, then they're almost certainly 16 bit (as in bit depth) and 44.1khz sample rate.

I was asking that in relation to the clicking - this is not uncommonly experienced by some people, just like you, who unknowingly have software upsampling to 24 bit 192khz, on-the-fly, by default. That takes quite a bit of CPU resources, and sometimes the CPU runs out of steam, or the buffering methodology employed by the software is not very efficient.

Also, I have known people having issues trying to play double-rate or quad-rate .DSD files on Apple Macs, even without upsampling being enabled, or when upsampling lower-resolution files to .DSD, on-the-fly.

Aug 19, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #21,521 of 42,765
  The problem of muting the initial start is due to certain OS and apps - when the sample rate changes, the data in the buffers get sent out at the wrong rate. When you switch from DSD to PCM you then get a loud bang, or track played at the wrong rate for a period. Now this fault is in the app, its absolutely nothing to do with the DAC.

So to fix the apps problem, if the sample rate changes, I force a mute for 0.5 seconds, so that you do not hear these noises. On some apps, you can force a small silent period at the beginning and this solves the issue.

If I didn't do this I would have people complaining about bangs thumps and music being played at the wrong rate. Better silence than shots being fired off!  

Rob

Rob,

In response to your statement that this problem has nothing to do with the DAC, how has other manufacturers solved the problem?

I did a test where I opened up Tidal and played Rush's Tom Sawyer.  With the Mojo, every time I play it, the Mojo shaves off a fair amount of the track's beginning.  With my DragonFly, I noticed it too shaved off a tiny sliver - but so little that I never noticed the problem before.  But with my Apogee Groove, none of the track is muted; I hear the full initial transient of the music.  And the same with the MacBook Pro's internal DAC; none of the track is muted.

Obviously different manufacturers take a different approach, maybe something which Chord could offer to their customers, even if as a configurable option.  At a minimum, it would be good to modify the mute time so it's barely noticeable, like on the DragonFly.

Thanks,

Mark

Aug 19, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #21,522 of 42,765
  I was asking that in relation to the clicking - this is not uncommonly experienced by some people, just like you, who unknowingly have software upsampling to 24 bit 192khz, on-the-fly, by default. That takes quite a bit of CPU resources, and sometimes the CPU runs out of steam, or the buffering methodology employed by the software is not very efficient.

Ah yes, the initial clicking I experienced was when the sample rate was configured to the Mojo's maximum by default.  From my experience with clicking sounds when recording audio tracks, I quickly thought to check the sample rate and change it to 44.1k, which fixed the problem.

Thanks for confirming that's the culprit.

Aug 20, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #21,524 of 42,765
  1. EagleWings
  2. Thanks for the above post! I'm on Amazon having a looks :)

My 2c. Go with the santiago 20i over the 20ii and 10. The 10 is too snug. Also the 20i opens up in a landscape orientation which is less of a hassle as the depth you need to place it in and pull it out is less thab the 20ii.
If you plan to stack or carry iems/ciems in the same case , go with the 30ii. Compact and enough room for the mojo the iems/ciems and a slot/pouch for cables. The foam can also be cut to fit other devices.

Aug 20, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #21,525 of 42,765
yesterday got my chord mojo back . I kept it somewhere during the transfer. when I was not having mojo I tried hqplayer to upsample and listen through the sound card of laptop. sound was much better than j river and foobar upsampler. so after getting mojo back I was curious as to how would an upsampled output of hqplayer sound through mojo. after trying so many filters and sample rates in hqplayer, I found foobar bit perfect output to mojo to be the cleanest as have been suggested by chord too ( don't use any resampler with mojo ). hqplayer upsampled output while good with sound card of laptop but with mojo the limitations of hqplayer become obvious. it added artificial detail which added grain to the sound (or vice versa). switching back to foobar in bit perfect mode sounded cleaner. surprisingly j river even in bit perfect mode ( no DSP and direct connection using asio) sounded harsh as compared to foobar. I don't know why foobar every time sounds better , may be it's lighter than j river or may be j river even in direct connection mode is performing some kind of processing .

I totally cannot agree more with your statement about bit perfect output.i have compared between ibasso dx50»coax»mojo and foobar2000(dsd asio)»mojo and the result is really apparent.these comparo was done via HD800S and noble savant.foobar2000(dsd asio) is the best i have heard on Mojo..

I guess that any connections to Mojo is quite important and not exactly yield similar performance.of course USB cable also plays a major role

Users who are viewing this thread

Back