Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 21, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #21,557 of 42,765
I did try it and it didn't bring any improvement on SQ, even though I initially imagined some improvement :)
Used on my Odroid it did bring some improvements.
But don't take my word for it. Rob tested the jitterbug on DAVE and came to the conclusion that the jitterbug can bring a mild improvement to sources that are not run on battery.

Cheers

Aug 21, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #21,558 of 42,765

@x relic X

thanks for that, I saw it a few pages after my response.  Makes it hard to respond to a post when you forget there are 4-5 more pages to go, haha.

Point about many Xmos based dacs and bridges not needing 5 volts for anything stands however.

cheers

Thanks @bixby for correcting me.
Summarizing you, it is not an handshake protocol issue but some DACs need the +5V some not.
Mojo appears to need a permanent +5V in order to keep alive/selected its USB port,
Therefore a cable with removable +5V will not work for the purpose of an eventual noise reduction. Furtermore, Rob Watts wrote not to worry about it since noise is heavily filtered.
Cheers.
beerchug.gif

Aug 21, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #21,559 of 42,765
team android: what are the greatest USB OTG cables you know of? i don't want to spend more than $20, maybe $25. ideally no more than $5 or $10 if there's nothing the deliberately makes it exquisitely better than the competition. I am not a strong believer in digital cables.

Also: I have an EMU 0404 with optional output. Would I be better served to use my PC into the 0404, and then use that optical out signal into the Mojo, as opposed to using the ASIO drivres? I am using the same drivers since MOJO launch. I should perfhaps check for an updated version and uninstall ASIO drivers from devices i no longer own.

Aug 21, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #21,560 of 42,765
Mojo so clear and detail I even hear backround faint noise/hiss on Norah Jones recording - come away with me. Not the unit itself, since other songs on her album dead quiet. Also, low level listening I still hear all the details in spades. don't have to push volume up to get the detail at all.

Aug 21, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #21,561 of 42,765
I hope there will be some kind of announcement on the Chord website for expected lauch date of the Chord Mojo optional modules. Awesome if it is this year as I would rather use the Bluetooth module for the Mojo made by Chord instead of compromising and buying another manufacturer Bluetooth Amp (such as Creative Soundblaster E5).

Aug 21, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #21,562 of 42,765
team android: what are the greatest USB OTG cables you know of? i don't want to spend more than $20, maybe $25. ideally no more than $5 or $10 if there's nothing the deliberately makes it exquisitely better than the competition. I am not a strong believer in digital cables.

Also: I have an EMU 0404 with optional output. Would I be better served to use my PC into the 0404, and then use that optical out signal into the Mojo, as opposed to using the ASIO drivres? I am using the same drivers since MOJO launch. I should perfhaps check for an updated version and uninstall ASIO drivers from devices i no longer own.

The best one for ~$25 is the one from TTVJ, with a red connector for the source, but the rest of the cable is rubber.

Personally, I could tell no benefit between this one and the $6 ones I bought from eBay, but then again, I was using an Android phone as a transport. Some people believe that was the culprit.

The cables from Forza are a step up in build quality - and price.

Maybe someone who has compared the low-, mid-, and high-end otg cables on the Mojo can chime in.

Aug 21, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #21,563 of 42,765
I hope there will be some kind of announcement on the Chord website for expected lauch date of the Chord Mojo optional modules. Awesome if it is this year as I would rather use the Bluetooth module for the Mojo made by Chord instead of compromising and buying another manufacturer Bluetooth Amp (such as Creative Soundblaster E5).

That would be nice, but I somehow feel this is a don't hold your breath product.
frown.gif

Aug 21, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #21,564 of 42,765
The cables from Forza are a step up in build quality - and price.

Leaving aside the amount of difference that expensive USB cables may not make, I can certainly speak up for the customer service of Forza. They will build exactly what you ask for surprisingly quickly, and do their utmost to make sure that you're happy with it, They're good people. Don't be shy about giving them a go, if you're tempted.

Aug 22, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #21,570 of 42,765

Till now the best cable i would say will be "Penon Audio Silver OTG cable"

I have tried almost every other cables, 

Amazon Basics
Monoprice
Cheap Ebay cables right angled
Some other cables.

But the Silver OTG cable from Penon audio is giving best sound quality.
I am yet to try Forzaworks cable, will order soon :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back