Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 14, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #21,286 of 42,765

Sorry - I answered your question, and then my remark about upsampling was aimed at Sound Eq's question - I should have formatted my reply to make it more apparent that I was speaking to each of you, in turn.

But since you asked, when I said 'upsample', I meant, as an example, buying a 16 bit 44.1khz (44,100 samples per second) file and allowing it to be upsampled to, something like 24 bit 192khz, on-the-fly, before it is sent across the digital output of your transport device, to Mojos digital input.

Although it is a very easy mistake to make, you should not confuse the bitRATE of your compressed files with the bit-DEPTH or SAMPLE-rate of the digital signal.

An iTunes file at 256kbps (lossily compressed with .aac codec) will more than likely be a 16 bit 44.1khz file, compressed with the lossy codec, at a bitRATE of 256 kilobits per second. When your digital transport (I mean your computer or your DAP or your smartphone) reads that music file, it will decompress the .aac compression so that a PCM file is created (this is done invisibly, on-the-fly). In my present example, that would mean that within TEMPORARY buffers, the file has remained in 16 bit 44.1khz (samples per second) resolution, but has been freed of the .aac compression codec, and will be sent as an uncompressed 16/44.1khz PCM file, across the digital connection, to Mojo.

You don't have to do anything about this. All you ever need to do is make sure (once) that your transport device is not sticking it's nose in and secretly changing the sample frequency and bit depth (in my example, Android stupidly upsamples EVERY audio track to 24/192khz, regardless of it's original resolution, so a program called UAPP is necessary, to bypass this Android anomally).

On any digital transport, there should be an option to set it to leave every file alone, in it's native sampling frequency and native bit-depth. Once that setting has been correctly set one time, it should never need to be changed again.

There is a partly-related post, here: www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/16500#post_12525696

If you are using Neutron, then, as far as I'm aware, you are unable to bypass the automatic upsampling to 24/192 that the Android OS stupidly does, without asking.

Therefore, it is to be expected that you may hear a difference in the sound, compared to Neutron feeding Mojo from iOS, since, AFAIK, iOS does not automatically upsample everything to 24/192, like Android does.

Android upsampling files to 24/192 is not a good thing, and, as I earlier remarked, is not recommended by Rob Watts, and some of the reasons are described in his 'interesting posts' section, near the top of post #3.

Some people have also played around with deliberately invoking upsampling-to-DSD, on-the-fly, and said it sounds good, to their ears (and that's their prerogative), but Rob designed Mojo and understands the complex digital theory & mathematics behind such matters - here is one of his responses:

Also relevant:

thanks for all the info, but to me i do not think upsampling is happening in my case as i am on lollipop on galaxy note 3 using neutron player, honestly the big difference between android and ios both using neutron is really big in regards to getting a wider sound stage and fuller sound, I asked my friend to listen and he also confirmed the same thing

using neutron in android lollipop android 5.0 does indeed has a much bigger sound stage than when I use my apple iphone 6s plus 

Aug 14, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #21,287 of 42,765
  thanks for all the info, but to me i do not think upsampling is happening in my case as i am on lollipop on galaxy note 3 using neutron player, honestly the big difference between android and ios both using neutron is really big in regards to getting a wider sound stage and fuller sound, I asked my friend to listen and he also confirmed the same thing

using neutron in android lollipop android 5.0 does indeed has a much bigger sound stage than when I use my apple iphone 6s plus 

You are using the galaxy note 3, the same as me, but I am now using UAPP.
i was using music player, then foobar2000, then HiBy, but they all started to get a lot of crackling and pops, once Android had updated to version 5.
Are you experiencing any of this interference using neutron? 

Aug 14, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #21,288 of 42,765

You are using the galaxy note 3, the same as me, but I am now using UAPP.
i was using music player, then foobar2000, then HiBy, but they all started to get a lot of crackling and pops, once Android had updated to version 5.
Are you experiencing any of this interference using neutron? 

non what so ever as i am having the note 3 in airplane mode, i am using note 3 with all the apps you mentioned and everything sounds great

but try neutron and in audio hardware setting let it have access to direct driver

honestly the ios does not compare as android with mojo 

i test things alot as i said few times before, and I use a song I know by heart and keep testing it in so many different settings, no way can anyone convince me that the sound stage is the same as when i use android compared to ios. Also having Empire Ears Zeus R allows me to get a good idea about sound differences

this is clear as day and night different between ios and android

honestly i did never like ios with mojo 

best setting is android with mojo and the best player at least to me is neutron, i get an amazing sound stage and full layered sound compared to the anemic sound I get when I connect ios to mojo.

Aug 14, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #21,289 of 42,765
well it's just a matter of time until someone makes a comparison and claims a perceived difference :grin:

ROFL!!!
beerchug.gif

tf10charged said:
...The serial number will be applied via laser... So no real NEW version...

seller said better battery life too! and new box design!

Well if the seller said it, it MUST be true, huh... 
rolleyes.gif

On the other hand, if the CEO speaks... then it is FACT
biggrin.gif

nobody heard about the newer mojo? ...

It's just new packaging it had a laser abated serial number written into the case to help us trace units

Full stop.
beerchug.gif

Aug 14, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #21,292 of 42,765
I wonder if elevating the mojo from the bottom will be effective as putting it on the side for heat dissipation? Mine been getting hot lately and it shut off once this afternoon. Putting on the side works wonders but just curious if there are other alternatives besides messing with the insides.

Aug 14, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #21,293 of 42,765

well it's just a matter of time until someone makes a comparison and claims a perceived difference :grin:

ROFL!!!
beerchug.gif

tf10charged said:
...The serial number will be applied via laser... So no real NEW version...

seller said better battery life too! and new box design!

Well if the seller said it, it MUST be true, huh... 
rolleyes.gif

On the other hand, if the CEO speaks... then it is FACT
biggrin.gif

nobody heard about the newer mojo? ...

It's just new packaging it had a laser abated serial number written into the case to help us trace units

Full stop.
beerchug.gif

nobody said its true. what is so funny? drunk already?

I was "laughing" at Headwacher's comment. Nothing remotely funny about your comment(s) rather quite the opposite
blink.gif

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #21,294 of 42,765
Hello, just jumped on the Mojo hype. I'm going to be using it with my One plus 3, but I can't any micro usb to type-c cable that's short enough not to be clunky (shortest was 1 yard). Any tips from people with type-c phones?

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #21,295 of 42,765
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_8_7?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+otg+type+c&sprefix=usb+otg%2Caps%2C146

Quote:
  Hello, just jumped on the Mojo hype. I'm going to be using it with my One plus 3, but I can't any micro usb to type-c cable that's short enough not to be clunky (shortest was 1 yard). Any tips from people with type-c phones?

Aug 14, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #21,298 of 42,765
Nice, finally found a great USB Type C to Micro cable.  Nexus 6P working perfect with the Mojo =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back