Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 26, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #20,536 of 42,765
No idea. We were told the Mojo did not incorporate and amplifier. I guess we should take a peek at post 3 gain because it will be there. However as far as I remember there was some mention of an amp later on from Rob Watts. I always assumed there must be some op amp at the output stage to lower output resistance, if needed.

@Torq
 I am going to leave this with you, and not reply. I don't have the patience to go through another series of posts back and forth. Feel free to end it how you will.

Volume is digital. There is one discrete opamp for the critical I/V stage (you have to have this). That's it. Rob has said this from the beginning vs the 3-4 opamps in most other gear. Nothing has changed from Rob and Chord regarding this.

Jul 26, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #20,537 of 42,765
I honestly don't understand why people can't trust Chord to provide the most robust solution for their equipment. Remember, before the battery was completed the Mojo was an impossibility. Chord had the battery manufacturer research and build a battery specifically for the Mojo over three years to get the power output and the thermal tolerances they have. With the serious computations going on, AND the same power output as the Hugo, AND the small from factor, AND the price, I honestly don't think ANYONE is going to find a better solution than the one Chord has diligently been working toward and implemented with the Mojo. It's not like they just went shopping for a typical Lithium battery (ion or polymer) and threw it in. There was a lot of planning and thought at play here.

LOL - last night, I found out Mojo needs a new (non-Chord) PSU.

Tonight, I find out Mojo needs a new (non-Chord) battery, too.

Wow, what a badly-designed product it must be - it seems more than 30,000 people, and half the reviewers in the industry, are all deluded that Mojo is a well-designed high-quality product, with a ground-breaking price-performance ratio.

Someone told me, last week, that they want to find an FPGA upgrade for Mojo  (not really, but my guess is it's only a matter of time before someone asks...)
wink_face.gif

Jul 26, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #20,539 of 42,765
Jesus... All this craziness over a battery, that is under warranty for quite a bit of time, on a fairly inexpensive device. Just enjoy your Mojos. It's built to last. Trust in Chord.

howdy Depends bro. In a perfect world, yes. Android can be a pain as there is little consistency between Android devices. Usb should work, but it can be effected by many things, in particular the music app.

Also depends on the version of Android as it needs to be usb OTG. Newer software has settings built in, older doesn't always and you'll need a OTG cable. (on the go)

Jul 26, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #20,540 of 42,765
  No idea. We were told the Mojo did not incorporate and amplifier. I guess we should take a peek at post 3 gain because it will be there. However as far as I remember there was some mention of an amp later on from Rob Watts. I always assumed there must be some op amp at the output stage to lower output resistance, if needed.

@Torq I am going to leave this with you, and not reply. I don't have the patience to go through another series of posts back and forth. Feel free to end it how you will.

Since a debate is pointless (it won't change what you do/do not understand, nor will it alter the realities of existing battery technology and performance), I could explain how you can figure out at least the minimum* spec of the Mojo's battery (I'm assuming it is not just printed on the battery itself - but I've not looked myself).  That'll be a fairly long and involved, if not necessarily technically very complicated post, so I'm not going to do it "just because" so, for now, I'll leave it as a hint, a caution, a caveat and a rationale for that caveat ...

Doing this will require an allen key, ruler, thermometer, a multi-meter, some low-impedance IEMs, a suitable charger (say, a 10w model for the iPad) and cable, a music source, possibly a large towel and a willingness to invalidate your warranty.

It also comes with the potential of serious personal injury, even death, and the very real possibility of damaging or destroying the Mojo unit in question.

I'm not being facetious about what you need, or the risks involved.  There's no magic or secret involved.  Just some very basic electronics knowledge, a bit of deduction*, and some fundamental reverse engineering techniques.  It won't be a very accurate result, and at best can give you the minimum* spec; to do better requires much more involved processes, techniques, knowledge and equipment and testing to destruction in a number of different ways (e.g. thermal, current and voltage overloads for a start).

(*This can only yield the minimum spec, since we have to use some information provided by Chord earlier in the thread which we don't know the tolerances around, then there are losses in the measurement processes, and finally we have to assume things are not being run at the limits of their capabilities in order to provide a safety margin.  For example Chord has stated, in this thread, that the battery is safe to 160 degrees C - and we know they're limiting thermal excursion to FAR below that ... because if they weren't they'd be getting sued for all the burns and scalding the unit caused).

Jul 26, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #20,541 of 42,765
Jesus... All this craziness over a battery, that is under warranty for quite a bit of time, on a fairly inexpensive device. Just enjoy your Mojos. It's built to last. Trust in Chord.

@howdy Depends bro. In a perfect world, yes. Android can be a pain as there is little consistency between Android devices. Usb should work, but it can be effected by many things, in particular the music app.

Also depends on the version of Android as it needs to be usb OTG. Newer software has settings built in, older doesn't always and you'll need a OTG cable. (on the go)

I got a new cheap Samsung Galaxy J1 it has the newest version on there, maybe ill have to try another cable.

Jul 26, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #20,542 of 42,765
beerchug.gif

27958313694_9e2851b717_c.jpg

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #20,543 of 42,765
  I got a new cheap Samsung Galaxy J1 it has the newest version on there, maybe I'll have to try another cable.

Make sure the cable is an OTG one, and make sure the OTG end is plugged into the phone.

And there are a few other tips in post #3.

Let us know how you get on
beerchug.gif

Jul 27, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #20,545 of 42,765
I honestly don't understand why people can't trust Chord to provide the most robust solution for their equipment. Remember, before the battery was completed the Mojo was an impossibility. Chord had the battery manufacturer research and build a battery specifically for the Mojo over three years to get the power output and the thermal tolerances they have. With the serious computations going on, AND the same power output as the Hugo, AND the small from factor, AND the price, I honestly don't think ANYONE is going to find a better solution than the one Chord has diligently been working toward and implemented with the Mojo. It's not like they just went shopping for a typical Lithium battery (ion or polymer) and threw it in. There was a lot of planning and thought at play here.

Human being nature. Always want more, never happy.
By the way some similitudes with our gear addiction. ☺

Jul 27, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #20,547 of 42,765
Jul 27, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #20,548 of 42,765
frankly speaking i don't care for any other thing than the sound quality at this price. but that does not mean mojo in anyway is poorly designed. in fact it is a revolutionary product in many ways. apart from sound, it  scores in  design, portability , ease of use and simplicity . it is being used by many in full systems. kef in one high end show used mojo as source for their blade speakers. the entire set up was worth many thousands $. chord said correctly that they could have sold  the mojo tech for a lot more by encasing it in a big box. so the best part of mojo is the versatility. in fact i would say it is the other way, it is a full fledged dac with very high quality preamp and headphone drive actually is a bonus due to its small size and extremely low output impedance . :)

Jul 27, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #20,549 of 42,765
Human being nature. Always want more, never happy.
By the way some similitudes with our gear addiction. ☺

Speaking about this, did you already test if Mojo works with an USB 1 connection?
I was thinking that maybe a working USB 1 connection could be beneficial, since the slower speed results in less mistakes during the delicate USB audio transport. And since the the speed should be sufficient for Redbook quality it might be a nice tweak... I am possibly wrong, though :wink:

Cheers

Jul 27, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #20,550 of 42,765
Speaking about this, did you already test if Mojo works with an USB 1 connection?
I was thinking that maybe a working USB 1 connection could be beneficial, since the slower speed results in less mistakes during the delicate USB audio transport. And since the the speed should be sufficient for Redbook quality it might be a nice tweak... I am possibly wrong, though
wink.gif

Cheers

Didn't find yet a USB1.x device around me.
Regarding the eventual benefits, since I am not in computer design I have no idea. even if doubting.
Hereunder an abstract of a previous post answer I wrote.

3.Extra:USB1.xcompatibilty:
A few days ago I promised to try( for my own knowledge) Mojo's with an old USB1.x laptop.
I did the trial with an old Toshiba Sattelite SM-30 104 running Windows XP Family SP3 (2004)
Unfortunately all USB ports were USB2.0. Nonetheless I managed installing Chord drivers as well as playing some tracks.
With such hardware/software configuration it is not suited for digital audio (96kHz not playing/44Khz bringing errors with player used)

N.B. The USB1.x check is not on top of my priority list during my free time.Easy and fast to do if equipment available 

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back