Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 27, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #20,551 of 42,765
I honestly don't understand why people can't trust Chord to provide the most robust solution for their equipment. Remember, before the battery was completed the Mojo was an impossibility. Chord had the battery manufacturer research and build a battery specifically for the Mojo over three years to get the power output and the thermal tolerances they have. With the serious computations going on, AND the same power output as the Hugo, AND the small from factor, AND the price, I honestly don't think ANYONE is going to find a better solution than the one Chord has diligently been working toward and implemented with the Mojo. It's not like they just went shopping for a typical Lithium battery (ion or polymer) and threw it in. There was a lot of planning and thought at play here.

Post 20530 I explained why. Frankly you have been nothing but cold or off, to me since I disagreed with you only once. It was over the Mojo missing the first second of music. You were defending the Mojo method and I said there is another option. The Meridan Explorer which pauses music playback (for about a second) until it synchronises hardware: other DACs do that too.

You come back at me over something else I posted again. Saying AND this AND that, AND the other, yet in my 20530 there a whacking great heatsink applied. Plus full explanation of why I am saying what I said.

Yet only two nights before I had to stop chatting back and forth because I was sick of having to re-post. To say what I had already said, then said so the next day. However for your benefit RELIC, here it is AGAIN!

From post 20530: Therefor the heatsink could very well be needed for desktop work, especially in hot climates.

(I was discussing heat and hoping there was a cooler battery solution. What happens when the battery gets worn was my other concern. Given we just had a mini heatwave in the UK of 35'C. Mojo would struggle to stay on as a desktop DAC if it was charging and playing all the time.)

-------------------

To be honest the general attitude to anyone who questions the Mojo in this thread is appalling. Yet it is always said, "Do not be afraid to ask". .......Why should we be afraid then. ..........Not pointing the finger at anyone but stop being princesses to anyone who asks. Maybe it's justified with some trollers if that's what they are doing. However me, I love the Mojo too.

There is nothing wrong with modding, trying, asking, thinking out loud, if you have the spec and try safely. I would be extremely careful, and if I had any doubt I simply would not do. 

Personally my Mojo is as perfect as it can be. I got lucky. It seems happy to charge and play at 25'C and under, but I have not tried it in hotter weather. It doesn't whine. ...However I do worry about the future. If the battery wears and will it mean it is stuck in permanent charge while playing, in desktop mode. (Said in 20530.) However I still have my eggs in the Chord basket the battery is bullet-proof.

While I concede the Mojo is not designed as a desktop DAC many of use it as such. My Mojo has never left my home where other folks show us beautiful photos of luscious stacks for portable use.

However I have been wanting to address my questions to Chord for a good while. Yet never did because I knew this overall general attitude would be the result. I have had other ideas, but really do you think I should ask here now; anyone?...What a waste; non-shared ideas.

----------------

@Torq Which uses more power to drive? Low or high impedance headphones.

I think current flows more freely in in low impedance. Yes I am concerned about another battery's current capacity. However it's also P=VI and it's power that matters too. Higher impedance headphone will drain the battery faster right at the same volume. (It's speed of discharge that causes heat.) See I have thought through my ideas and don't need to explain them. I just need the specs. Right!

Jul 27, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #20,552 of 42,765
Hey Arpiben,

Same here, I couldn't find an USB 1 source myself.
Otherwise I would have tried it myself...maybe I will test it with an aged single board computer.
So anywaye enjoy the rest of your free time :wink:

Cheers

Jul 27, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #20,553 of 42,765
GreenBow, sorry you feel that way. I'm not trying to be dismissive of you in particular and find that you've been helpful in the thread and I appreciate your posts.

With regard to the battery, no, I don't think you'll find a better solution than the one Chord has come up with. If you wish to try that's entirely up to you. I wish you luck. However, the heat isn't just generated from the battery, but also from the FPGA chip and pulse array DAC, and the output stage. IMO you won't be making much of a dent in the heat generation by changing out the battery, but you will be changing the source of the Mojo's power, and may be risking thermal issues with a battery not meant to tolerate the heat within the case. I simply feel that trying a different battery is a fools errand to making the Mojo run cooler in hot climates.

IMO, a better solution would be to run the device on its side (as has been recommended already), or manage the charging/listening time better so it isn't charging constantly when running. Shoot, even the giant heat sink is a better idea in my opinion over trying to change out the battery yourself, especially since Chord has mentioned time and again that this is not a typical battery in the Mojo. Who is to say another battery won't melt and explode... But hey, IMO, YMMV, Just my perspective man. We can disagree you know. :wink:

Jul 27, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #20,555 of 42,765
Post 20530 I explained why. Frankly you have been nothing but cold or off, to me since I disagreed with you only once. It was over the Mojo missing the first second of music. You were defending the Mojo method and I said there is another option. The Meridan Explorer which pauses music playback (for about a second) until it synchronises hardware: other DACs do that too.

You come back at me over something else I posted again. Saying AND this AND that, AND the other, yet in my 20530 there a whacking great heatsink applied. Plus full explanation of why I am saying what I said.

Yet only two nights before I had to stop chatting back and forth because I was sick of having to re-post. To say what I had already said, then said so the next day. However for your benefit RELIC, here it is AGAIN!

From post 20530: [COLOR=000080]Therefor the heatsink could very well be needed for desktop work, especially in hot climates.[/COLOR]

(I was discussing heat and hoping there was a cooler battery solution. What happens when the battery gets worn was my other concern. Given we just had a mini heatwave in the UK of 35'C. Mojo would struggle to stay on as a desktop DAC if it was charging and playing all the time.)

-------------------

To be honest the general attitude to anyone who questions the Mojo in this thread is appalling. Yet it is always said, "Do not be afraid to ask". Not pointing the finger at anyone but stop being princesses. Maybe it's justified with some trollers if that's what they are doing. However me, I love the Mojo too.

There is nothing wrong with modding, trying, asking, thinking out loud, if you have the spec and try safely. I would be extremely careful, and if I had any doubt I simply would not do. 

Personally my Mojo is as perfect as it can be. I got lucky. It seems happy to charge and play at 25'C and under, but I have not tried it in hotter weather. It doesn't whine. ...However I do worry about the future if the battery wears and it means it is stuck in charge and play mode. I have my eggs in the Chord basket the battery is bullet-proof.

While I concede the Mojo is not designed as a desktop DAC many of use it as such. My Mojo has never left my home where other folks show us beautiful photos of luscious stacks for portable use.

However I have been wanting to address my questions to Chord for a good while. Yet never did because I knew this overall general attitude would be the result. I have had other ideas, but really do you think I should ask here now; anyone?...What a waste; non-shared ideas.

----------------

@Torq
 Please see this as discussion and not an argument. Which uses more power to drive? Low or high impedance headphones.

I think current flows more freely in in low impedance. Yes I am concerned about another battery's current capacity. However it's also P=VI and it's power that matters too. Higher impedance headphone will drain the battery faster right at the same volume. (It's speed of discharge that causes heat.) See I have thought through my ideas and don't need to explain them. I just need the specs. Right!

You THINK current flows more freely at lower impedance, or you KNOW it does?

Speed of discharge is a function of current, not voltage. The battery supplies a, for our purposes, constant voltage. And you cannot say that a higher impedance headphone will use more power for the same volume without factoring in the efficiency of the transducer.

Per Mojo's designer, earlier in this thread, you will generally get shorter battery life using lower impedance headphones.

When you (colloquial) can't explain an idea, it is usually because you don't understand the mechanics of that idea fully enough to do so. And "thinking something through" when you lack a proper understanding of the subject matter is unlikely to yield a correct or satisfactory result. Without that understanding you simply don't have the basis to even know what has to be considered TO "think it through". Neither of those statements are conducive to effective science or engineering.

None of this changes the fact that it is not the battery that makes Mojo run hot, nor are there "cooler running batteries". And I'm not defending Mojo, or Chord (I have my own issues with Chord as a company) - I'm simply pointing out the realities of thermal design as they relate to battery powered electronics and gated by the laws of physics.

As for what happens when the battery loses capacity/ages, ignoring for a moment the estimated 10 year life for the particular technology/chemistry involved, Chord have already said that battery replacements would be available.

I'll leave you to it, though ... it's pointless trying to assist someone that would rather be right than learn why their question or supposition is misplaced or incorrect.

Jul 27, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #20,558 of 42,765
...What happens when the battery gets worn was my other concern. Given we just had a mini heatwave in the UK of 35'C. Mojo would struggle to stay on as a desktop DAC if it was charging and playing all the time...

Quote:
...the heat isn't just generated from the battery, but also from the FPGA chip and pulse array DAC, and the output stage...

FWIW, I measured an increase of 11C over ambient when in use and 8C (over amb.) when charging. I tested using an IR temp. gauge (gun).

28504942421_7cfba684cb_n.jpg

I would venture to say my LG G4's battery gets hotter than Mojo's during the first 50% charging period as it is designed as a "Quick-Charge" solution. Mojo on the other hand has a normal charging policy (as I pictured a few posts back):

27958313694_9e2851b717_c.jpg

Per Mojo's designer, earlier in this thread, you will generally get shorter battery life using lower impedance headphones.

I tried to search for that but had no success; do you recall where the post was or can you perhaps explain why this is so? "Layman's sense*" would suggest the opposite...
*and before you ask, I know squat about electronics
tongue.gif

Jul 27, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #20,559 of 42,765

From post 20530: Therefor the heatsink could very well be needed for desktop work, especially in hot climates.

-------------------

To be honest the general attitude to anyone who questions the Mojo in this thread is appalling. Yet it is always said, "Do not be afraid to ask". .......Why should we be afraid then. ..........Not pointing the finger at anyone but stop being princesses to anyone who asks. Maybe it's justified with some trollers if that's what they are doing. However me, I love the Mojo too.

Personally my Mojo is as perfect as it can be. I got lucky. It seems happy to charge and play at 25'C and under, but I have not tried it in hotter weather. It doesn't whine. ...However I do worry about the future. If the battery wears and will it mean it is stuck in permanent charge while playing, in desktop mode. (Said in 20530.) However I still have my eggs in the Chord basket the battery is bullet-proof.

----------------

@Torq Which uses more power to drive? Low or high impedance headphones.

In this post Rob Watts says that higher impedence loads will use less power from Mojo.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/18930#post_12666177

Jul 27, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #20,560 of 42,765
It's been a 'heated' topic, this past few hours, so, in spite of reservations, I've decided to make available the instructions for those of you who feel Mojos battery needs changing (please note: some double-sided sticky tape may prove helpful, if you decide to do this, and it will invalidate your Chord warranty!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1XODXkfsd4

Jul 27, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #20,561 of 42,765
Just did some experimenting on a Mac with Bootcamp.

This is on the same machine, the variable being different operating systems only.

Spotify 44.1 KHz in Windows (USB) through Directsound -> Occasional and noticeable clicks

Spotify 44.1 KHz in OS X (USB)  -> Pristine sound, zero clicks

Through optical, sound is pristine on both operating systems.

Switching to ASIO on Windows also gives a pristine sound. Upsampling to anything higher that 44.1 KHz in Windows sound settings also produces a clean sound.

Looks like there's something going on with Windows Directsound drivers for the Mojo.

The Mac is not mine so I have switched to using Optical on my main Windows machine for now. My listening is almost exclusively Redbook anyways.  

Jul 27, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #20,562 of 42,765
But there's no clicks on Mojo with optical on both OS. And we all know optical the power is isolated from MB.

If your a gamer you would know when a frame stutters or skips when gaming. I think pretty much same concept but with video it's video frame skipping/stuttering and audio with clicks and pops. Reinstalling windows fixed that for me.

Jul 27, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #20,563 of 42,765
But there's no clicks on Mojo with optical on both OS. And we all know optical the power is isolated from MB.

If your a gamer you would know when a frame stutters or skips when gaming. I think pretty much same concept but with video it's video frame skipping/stuttering and audio with clicks and pops. Reinstalling windows fixed that for me.

Windows allows so much unnecessary hijacking of resources, by every man and his dog, that it's not surprising some people eventually find they are getting intconsistent performance with some devices.

There was some discussion about that in the following thread, which at a massive 2 pages long, is worth a quick read, before taking the huge step of reinstalling windows:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/812759/how-to-eliminate-stuttering-in-audio-players

beerchug.gif

Jul 27, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #20,564 of 42,765
In this post Rob Watts says that higher impedence loads will use less power from Mojo. http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/18930#post_12666177

Yes driving into a high impedance load (an amp) is lowest power within Mojo

...and there is no difference between an Amp and Headphones?
"Driving" means what it means but as I'm no expert, I don't want to jump to conclusions...
redface.gif

Jul 27, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #20,565 of 42,765
  For anyone trying to construct an energy flow model of the Mojo, this post states the power consumption of the FPGA.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/14880#post_12463183

Rob wrote in that post:

The power consumed by the FPGA is 475 mW - less than a third of the power used in total. Using DSD should actually be slightly lower power, as most of the WTA DSP cores are not being used.

As usual it is correct, for those still doubting hereunder an abstract of Xilinx Artix (FPGA) power data excel sheet:

Rgds.
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back