Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 24, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #1,996 of 42,765
I received my mojo yesterday and have connected via the apple cck to my iPad with a USB to micro USB cable that I had in a drawer from some other item (phone or camera). Having previously used a fostex HP-P1 directly from an iPod classic, I have no experience of connecting via usb. Does anyone have advice on whether there would be an advantage to purchasing a higher quality cable as the signal has to pass through the apple cck anyway. I would think that the quality of the signal will be limited to the lowest link in the chain.
I appreciate that this is a newbie question.
Thanks

Oct 24, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #1,997 of 42,765
I received my mojo yesterday and have connected via the apple cck to my iPad with a USB to micro USB cable that I had in a drawer from some other item (phone or camera). Having previously used a fostex HP-P1 directly from an iPod classic, I have no experience of connecting via usb. Does anyone have advice on whether there would be an advantage to purchasing a higher quality cable as the signal has to pass through the apple cck anyway. I would think that the quality of the signal will be limited to the lowest link in the chain.
Thanks

I belong to the group who thinks that for short distances it will not matter much. Specially in case of CCK->microUSB no matter what microUSB cable you will use the 'weakest link' will be the cck cable itself which cannot be avoided at any cost.

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #1,999 of 42,765
Amazing, really, all the myriad factors and engineering hurdles that need to be considered, in order to fool the human brain into enjoying a recreation of a musical performance...

Isn't it amazing that 1s and 0s (albeit converted) can fool the above organic complexity (to say nothing of the vastly greater complexity of the perceiving brain chemistry, etc., etc.) as well as they can?
biggrin.gif

I guess what I'm trying to say is enjoy your Mojos (and cable-rolling!), but don't lose a sense of wonder at how incredible a feat music recording, reproduction, and perception really is!

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #2,000 of 42,765
I'm finding my Mojo a bit of a pain with Windows (10) and wonder if a fellow Windows user could confirm if what I'm seeing is normal?

I have my Mojo connected via USB and when I view audio devices in the Sound tab I see 'Chord Async USB 44.1 kHz-768kHz' as the default device so that looks okay. However, when I right click and select 'properties' and then 'supported formats'  the only sample rates I can select are 44.1, 48.0, 88.2 & 96.0 kHz. Does that look right or should I be seeing 192 kHz and upwards too?

I've also selected the default format from the 'Advanced' tab as 2 channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD quality) as most of the files I'll be using will be CD's or from Tidal. Correctly the red light displays on the Mojo.

If I try and play some HD Tracks samplers (88.2, 96, 176, 192 kHz etc.) using Foobar the bitrate light stays fixed at red unless I set the default format to something higher. Switching to 2 channel, 24 bit, 192000 Hz for instance correctly turns the light blue. I had hoped that by doing this the I would then see the light change depending on the bitrate of the incoming file but irrespective of what bitrate of file I play the light on the Mojo remains blue. Is there a way to get the Mojo / or PC to avoid up-sampling, which I presume is what's happening, all material to 192 kHz or do I need to manually set the default format each time?

I also tried playing a DSD 64 file (.dsf) but got an unsupported format message. Perhaps that's one for another day though...walk before you can run etc. :wink:

Thanks very much for any help. Happy to add some screen grabs if that helps.

Edit: should add that I unzipped & installed Chord's Windows driver + the ASIO 64 (iirc) add-on before attaching the Mojo to my PC.

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #2,001 of 42,765
I belong to the group who thinks that for short distances it will not matter much. Specially in case of CCK->microUSB no matter what microUSB cable you will use the 'weakest link' will be the cck cable itself which cannot be avoided at any cost.

I've been thinking the same thing for a long time. I assumed that getting a TOTL mini-USB to USB was a waste of time because they all just get plugged into the CCK, which is not an audiophile product. Having said that, I have noticed a difference between different mini-USB - USB cables that get plugged into the CCK. I have one from Moon Audio and one from ALO and they sound a bit different to my ears.

More pertinently, the Apple CCK is not unavoidable. I have a short interconnect from Lavricables that connects an iPhone to my Hugo (I assume same for Mojo) or to my ALO CDM. Not only does it remove the need for the messy CCK / USB cable combo; it also sounds better to my ears.

I forget how to insert pics, but if you Google it or check eBay, it's the little 3" red interconnect that is pictured connecting an iPhone to a Hugo.

PS: I have no affiliation except as a customer and I prefer the sound of Konstantins' interconnect to any of the USB > CCK combos that I've tried (I may have got lucky with IEM synergy, YMMV etc).

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #2,002 of 42,765
Thanks

Hi Matzotom
We all start as newbies, so don't worry about asking it.

See my post above, but to answer your question directly: I have a couple of decent mini-USB - USB cables to connect to CCK and then into iPhone6 (so same basic issue as you with an iPad). I can honestly say that I can hear a difference between - in my case - the USB from Moon Audio and one from ALO. They both sound good, so I wouldn't want to recommend one above another, but yes, you can influence the sound despite the fact that you're having to plug them into the CCK.

However, as above, there are a few people making interconnects that mean you don't need the CCK. The one I bought sounds better, to my ears, that any of the USB > CCK combos that I've tried. If you have the wallet to experiment, do give it a go.

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #2,003 of 42,765
well, compared to upper end dacs, (I am assuming the more experienced you are, the higher costing gear you have) it dosent go beyond it. Like a giant killer. Been said many times repededly both here and Hugo thread that many prefer hugo. Some can't tell much difference between dragonfly which cost 1/4 of mojo, and oppo ha2 which cost half. So, it's an entry level dac sound quality wise I suppose. prabably lacking refinement and transparency to high end dacs.

Sounds to me like you're placing too much emphasis on cost and other people's impressions.

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #2,004 of 42,765
Sounds to me like you're placing too much emphasis on cost and other people's impressions.

To be fair, Tony1110, I think a lot of people on here are limited by either wallet or just country where they live in terms of what they can audition without ordering. So our impressions may help them make an informed decision. Obviously it's all about what sounds best to your ears, but I've lived in countries where you simply can't try much stuff out.

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #2,005 of 42,765
well, compared to upper end dacs, (I am assuming the more experienced you are, the higher costing gear you have) it dosent go beyond it.

Knowledge comes from experience. Experience comes from making bad decisions :)

Headphone enthusiasts may still refer back to the Sennheiser HD600 / HD650 as newer does not always mean better.

Gear enthusiasts may refer to the price point and year of release as they are the people the social marketing strategists aim for.

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #2,006 of 42,765
Hi Matzotom
We all start as newbies, so don't worry about asking it.

See my post above, but to answer your question directly: I have a couple of decent mini-USB - USB cables to connect to CCK and then into iPhone6 (so same basic issue as you with an iPad). I can honestly say that I can hear a difference between - in my case - the USB from Moon Audio and one from ALO. They both sound good, so I wouldn't want to recommend one above another, but yes, you can influence the sound despite the fact that you're having to plug them into the CCK.

However, as above, there are a few people making interconnects that mean you don't need the CCK. The one I bought sounds better, to my ears, that any of the USB > CCK combos that I've tried. If you have the wallet to experiment, do give it a go.

Can't be 100% sure but I think Lavricables Lightning to mini usb for i products has a CCK chip inside but, in similar thinking to the mojo add on gives a tidier solution

Oct 24, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #2,008 of 42,765

I'm curious as to why AK100/AK120 is being favoured as a partner for the Mojo, when there are cheaper options like DX50/DX90, X5, Soundaware Esther, etc.

Maybe it's because the dark brushed aluminium casework of the Mk1 AKs matches the Mojo well?

Oct 24, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #2,009 of 42,765
To be fair, Tony1110, I think a lot of people on here are limited by either wallet or just country where they live in terms of what they can audition without ordering. So our impressions may help them make an informed decision. Obviously it's all about what sounds best to your ears, but I've lived in countries where you simply can't try much stuff out.

There's a difference between posting valid impressions from which people can make informed choices and drawing inferences from the price tag and what people can't hear.

Oct 24, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #2,010 of 42,765
Some samsung do not support usb host. are you sure your model support it?

Yes it definitely supports USB Host mode, and to be sure I installed the USB Diagnostics app and that agrees. As the UAPP trial works via the DAC I guess Cyanogenmod 11 M12 does not support USB audio fully. I am going to compile a new kernel with USB audio enabled and see if that helps, else I'll be upgrading my ROM. I use Spotify a lot so need more than UAPP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back