Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 29, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #16,969 of 42,765

85 decibles, at least in my A12 CIEMs is extremely loud, I listen more in the 10-15 click range..

It makes sense, acording to 'maths' your listenning range is within expectations.
For A12 I was mentionning 60 clicks down from Line Out Level.
Since we have 72 clicks from Line Out Level until minimum volume setting, it translates into 12 clicks upwards (72-60) from down.
Perhaps there are too many clicks/colours or calculation but once you nail your sweet spot volume for a peculiar headphone there is no more need to worry about.....
Thks.

Apr 29, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #16,970 of 42,765
  Slightly off topic.  Funnily enough I tried Tidal yesterday on my Iphone, took the free trial to find what all the fuss was about. 

Comparing to Spotify, I opened up identical tracks on both apps, making sure they were exactly the same track from the same album.

Genres varied between Jazz, Classical and Dance.

Rather than play one track on Spotify then play the same track on Tidal - (by the time you restart the track your expectation bias kicks in) I did this..

I set up Spotify to play the first 30 seconds, 00:00 - 00:30 and then had Tidal play the next 30 seconds, 00:31 - 01:00 and so on to the end of the track.

I found there was no difference in audio quality between the apps when identical tracks were playing.  It sounded like the same track was being played between both apps, with nothing more than a brief pause in between.  I focused as hard as I could on different aspects of each track, listening to details in each instrument, listening for slight timbre differences, nada. 

i urge anyone who uses either Spotify or Tidal to take out a trial with the other app, bouncing back and forth between apps in 30 second snippets, in random order.  Don't leave it too long between each 30 seconds, switch as quick as you can.  Ensure the wave volume of both Spotify and Tidal is set to maximum (bit perfect) and only controlled via the Mojo.  

After a while you will begin to forget which app is playing the track.  

A true testament that there is no perceivable difference.  Data wise, maybe, but data that my brain can interpret? 

Gear - Mojo, stock He-500 (velours), iPhone 6.  App settings - Tidal - Hifi setting / optimized playback disabled, Spotify 320Kbps, normalisation disabled.

I used to use Tidal but just wasn't using it enough to justify it. Recently been uploading my music catalogue for free to Google Play, which I like as you can edit tag data to your liking and update album art and such. I use it for casual listening whilst cooking and chatting in the kitchen often enough.

Recently did a bit of a listening test via mojo and my T1's to hear differences between redbook cd flacs or better and the uploaded mp3 coversions of same and noticed a definite hardness or harshness to the sound when streaming over the flacs being played via Foobar. Nothing outrageous but definitely there. No maybe-maybe not 

Personally i think that comparing A/B is a sure fire way to drive you crazy and I really try to shy away from it. I tend to just go by initial impression and emotional wallop and run with it and don't look back :) - And I believe it's also a psychosomatic in the sense that if you know you are listening to the "better stuff" then it will sound better. If you are listening to a blind test then that in itself may cloud your feeling; affecting your emotions when listening which clouds the important stuff like emotional involvement.

Apr 29, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #16,971 of 42,765
Hi - finally got to spend 2 hours listening to the Mojo!!

It is an incredible little gadget for sure ... and extremely attractive looking!

I spent a lot of time comparing it vs. the Centrance Hi-Fi M8 to see if this is a worthy replacement. I was listening to the Oppo PM-1 for the A/B comparison.

At the end, I wasn't convinced which is the better sounding gadget. They sound a little different for sure but I wasn't able to say, "yes I like this better". Individually they both sounded awesome!

I spent a lot of time listening to music I'm familiar to see if one was clearer than the other, better sounding etc. etc. While there were definitely differences and at time I found the Mojo probably a bit better sounding (could be psychological!!), it was hard to definitely decide on one ... if I was doing a blind test, I would have a hard time selecting one.

Having said that I might still pick up a Chord mojo if I get a good deal since I have the new Centrance Skyn, which sounds similar to the M8. So might be worth having 2 different devices instead of 2 devices which sound similar.

Bottom line ... I enjoyed music from both the M8 and the Mojo and I didn't find the M8 lacking in something vs. the Mojo.

Apr 29, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #16,972 of 42,765
Meant to post this here when after I wrote the review but looks like I forgot.

Had the mojo in for review and found it to be extremely capable for its size and loved the portability. However for power hungry planars it can run out of power if you have a song that really needs to cranked.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/chord-mojo/reviews/15582

Apr 29, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #16,973 of 42,765
  Those of you guys who have mic cables with your IEMs/CIEMs, can you take calls through mojo on Android?  I'm looking at getting a slightly longer cable and have a choice between mic and no mic and would only get the mic cable if it meant I could take calls through Mojo.  I'm using S7 Edge and running marshmallow.

Controls/mic don't work through Mojo.

Apr 29, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #16,974 of 42,765
  Slightly off topic.  Funnily enough I tried Tidal yesterday on my Iphone, took the free trial to find what all the fuss was about. 

Comparing to Spotify, I opened up identical tracks on both apps, making sure they were exactly the same track from the same album.

Genres varied between Jazz, Classical and Dance.

Rather than play one track on Spotify then play the same track on Tidal - (by the time you restart the track your expectation bias kicks in) I did this..

I set up Spotify to play the first 30 seconds, 00:00 - 00:30 and then had Tidal play the next 30 seconds, 00:31 - 01:00 and so on to the end of the track.

I found there was no difference in audio quality between the apps when identical tracks were playing.  It sounded like the same track was being played between both apps, with nothing more than a brief pause in between.  I focused as hard as I could on different aspects of each track, listening to details in each instrument, listening for slight timbre differences, nada. 

i urge anyone who uses either Spotify or Tidal to take out a trial with the other app, bouncing back and forth between apps in 30 second snippets, in random order.  Don't leave it too long between each 30 seconds, switch as quick as you can.  Ensure the wave volume of both Spotify and Tidal is set to maximum (bit perfect) and only controlled via the Mojo.  

After a while you will begin to forget which app is playing the track.  

A true testament that there is no perceivable difference.  Data wise, maybe, but data that my brain can interpret? 

Gear - Mojo, stock He-500 (velours), iPhone 6.  App settings - Tidal - Hifi setting / optimized playback disabled, Spotify 320Kbps, normalisation disabled.

I did that comparison many times because I'm a Spotify (Premium) fan but plenty of headfiers use Tidal HiFi.
There is no way I can hide the truth: they sound identical to me, and I love Spotify playlists, so I will stick with that one.
By the way, Spotify+Mojo+SE846 sounds very good. Spotify+Hugo+SE846 sounds stellar!
Hugo rules (don't kill me please!)

Apr 29, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #16,975 of 42,765
Been a while since I used an iPhone, so what is the best Music App to feed Hi-def FLAC and DSD to the Mojo at its native bitrate/freq? Is it still only HF Player by Onkyo ?

Most of my listening is Spotify Extreme but do have a few hi-def albums in FLAC/DSD to put on the 64GB iPhone SE.

Apr 29, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #16,976 of 42,765
How do you rate the Mojo compared to those other top tier DAPs you have in the pic? They're the DP-X1 & AK100-II, if I'm not mistaken?

Edit - I'm referring to sound quality comparisons only, of course.

Thanks in advance, cheers.

mojo sound very good, indeed
I have not yet taken a special time to compare those things. because I just got the mojo several days ago.
but mojo sound really impressive, compared to onkyo dpx1 and ak100ii, mojo have more bass, more clarity, detail, imaging and soundstage. and more power to drive demanding headphones.

Apr 29, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #16,977 of 42,765
  Been a while since I used an iPhone, so what is the best Music App to feed Hi-def FLAC and DSD to the Mojo at its native bitrate/freq? Is it still only HF Player by Onkyo ?

Most of my listening is Spotify Extreme but do have a few hi-def albums in FLAC/DSD to put on the 64GB iPhone SE.

yes onkyo hf player or Hibiki or iAudioGate

Apr 29, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #16,978 of 42,765

Try Onkyo HF. It covers all hi-res formats but the UI is so ugly.

Do you experience lots of RFI with SE?

Apr 29, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #16,979 of 42,765
I did that comparison many times because I'm a Spotify (Premium) fan but plenty of headfiers use Tidal HiFi.
There is no way I can hide the truth: they sound identical to me, and I love Spotify playlists, so I will stick with that one.
By the way, Spotify+Mojo+SE846 sounds very good. Spotify+Hugo+SE846 sounds stellar!
Hugo rules (don't kill me please!)

I have both a premium spotify account and tidal account. There is a difference between the two of them. After listening to Tidal for several hours and then going back to spotify I sense a loss of realism that tidal was delivering.

With spotify- This sounds Very good
With Tidal - I almost feel like I'm in the same room with the artists.

Of course this varies from song to song but is more present in live recordings.

But I will agree that Spotify has MUCH better playlists then Tidal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back