Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 24, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #16,591 of 42,765
Could you elaborate on 'spot-on'? As in realistic-sounding or just pleasant to the ears?

Yeah, natural... Not forced or holographic, to me at least. Others prefer a wider soundstage. I prefer one with the depth and width of the Mojo. YMMV. :wink_face:

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #16,592 of 42,765
Yeah, natural... Not forced or holographic, to me at least. Others prefer a wider soundstage. I prefer one with the depth and width of the Mojo. YMMV.
wink_face.gif

True that, a natural sound stage would sound pleasing to the ears. I would like to get my hands on a Mojo soon, but looks like not many distributors carry it in my country, oh well :frowning2:

Apr 24, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #16,593 of 42,765
Basic physics.

Voltage is analogous to water pressure through a hose and current is analogous to water volume through a hose. You may have water flow through a hose nozzle with your finger plugging the end (high impedance), requiring more pressure (voltage), but actually less volume of water (power) is flowing through. A fully open hose nozzle (low impedance) allows more water (power) through, though with less pressure (voltage). The two are inversely related.

So for high impedance headphones if you don't push enough voltage (higher volume setting) you won't get good control of the transducer for a given sensitivity rating, but it doesn't suck up as much power. For low impedance headphones the voltage requirement is lower (lower volume setting) but there is less resistance to the power flow so it sucks the juice faster for the same sensitivity rating. In simple terms.

In summary:

Higher impedance (high resistance to flow) requires more voltage but it sips the power. Lower impedance (low resistance to flow) uses more current and gobbles up the power.

Thanks for the physics lessons, sir 
L3000.gif
deadhorse.gif

Apr 24, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #16,595 of 42,765
Could various tiny aspects such as the sound-stage be firmware flashable updated in future, or is everything fixed in stone ?
Well perhaps we could up date the software to take out about 99.95 percent of Mojos signal processing capability to bring it line with other audio industry chip Dacs. This of course would destroy Mojo's abilities in reproducing the natural layering and depth information of the music, but the sound stage would indeed sound wide but it would also sound as flat as a pancake. Please relax take some time (weeks) to let your brain get used to Mojo and the additional information your ears is now getting then you will begin to appreciate a proper three dimensional sound field of the music your hearing happy listening!

Apr 24, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #16,597 of 42,765
Morning all, charged my mojo yesterday and looking forward to hearing it for the first time. Sadly that looks like being tomorrow as I have no opportunity today. Harrumph.

Quick question re IOS connection. Has anyone used a lightning to micro USB adaptor (the official apple version) and then a micro USB cable to the mojo. Seems it would be a little less bulky than than the CCK but not sure it would actually work.

http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MD820ZM/A/lightning-to-micro-usb-adapter?fnode=85

Thanks in advance
Tim

Apr 24, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #16,598 of 42,765
Morning all, charged my mojo yesterday and looking forward to hearing it for the first time. Sadly that looks like being tomorrow as I have no opportunity today. Harrumph.

Quick question re IOS connection. Has anyone used a lightning to micro USB adaptor (the official apple version) and then a micro USB cable to the mojo. Seems it would be a little less bulky than than the CCK but not sure it would actually work.

http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MD820ZM/A/lightning-to-micro-usb-adapter?fnode=85

Thanks in advance
Tim

The problem is that Apple requires a cable with the MFI authentication chip inside so what you propose will not work. The Apple CCK cable is pretty much all that works from Apple. In the third post of the thread you'll find third party solutions that use an MFI chip in a one cable solution.

Apr 24, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #16,599 of 42,765
Apr 24, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #16,600 of 42,765
Well perhaps we could up date the software to take out about 99.95 percent of Mojos signal processing capability to bring it line with other audio industry chip Dacs. This of course would destroy Mojo's abilities in reproducing the natural layering and depth information of the music, but the sound stage would indeed sound wide but it would also sound as flat as a pancake. Please relax take some time (weeks) to let your brain get used to Mojo and the additional information your ears is now getting then you will begin to appreciate a proper three dimensional sound field of the music your hearing happy listening!

Yes, I thought a previous DAC was fairly faultless till I went back to it after a week with Mojo.
Slight smearing/audio bloom could be heard.

Apr 24, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #16,601 of 42,765
  anyone??

But why? Mojo works best when nothing is resampled, upsampled or downsampled, just the original bits are best for Mojo....

Apr 24, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #16,602 of 42,765
I'm still puzzled by impedance-battery life relationship (Mojo lasts longer driving high-impedance than low-impedance). I understand that voltage = current * impedance, thus power = current * (current * impedance). I also understand that low-impedance gears usually require high-current & vice versa. OTOH, according to Tyll (Innerfidelity) datasheet, (low-impedance) IEMs requires less power than (high-impedance) headphones. For example. Senn HD800 (0.242 Vrms, 361 Ohms, 0.16 mW to reach 90 dB) vs Shure SE846 (0.012 Vrms, 10 Ohms, 0.01 mW to reach 90 dB). Unfortunately, there isn't any current measurement. Nonetheless, HD800 eats more power than SE846. How can Mojo last longer with (again, for example) HD800 than SE846?

Apr 24, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #16,603 of 42,765
The problem is that Apple requires a cable with the MFI authentication chip inside so what you propose will not work. The Apple CCK cable is pretty much all that works from Apple. In the third post of the thread you'll find third party solutions that use an MFI chip in a one cable solution.

Thanks for the info, would the official adaptor not have the mfi chip though?

I've looked at post 3 and most of them to me don't offer the small size/convenience for the price (I'll have to factor in an extra 20% duty + various "handling charges" from the robdogs who run our postal service :rolleyes:). The FiiO L19 seemed the best option but a few pages ago someone confirmed its actually not an official FiiO product :eek:

It's not a huge drama to be honest, just trying to find a neater solution than the CCK for reasonable money. It's annoying that I have the Cozoy Astrapi cable but apparently that doesn't work as the device has some electronic trickery to negate the mfi chip. Hey ho.

Cheers
Tim

Apr 24, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #16,604 of 42,765
Have you guys seen / discussed the mojo balanced output mod here? Sorry if this is repost. I just want to know the thoughts of some of the experts here regarding audio gears modifications. Unfortunately, most of the info are in Japanese as it was created by one. For now, I'm just following the Facebook post at Ohm Image about the mod. Here are some links:

Ohm Image Facebook post:

If you look closely at the picture, you'll notice the mod on the right headphone out. It's converted to a 2.5mm.

https://www.facebook.com/ohmimage/photos/a.236356593196489.1073741826.115340245298125/622018554630289/?type=3

Mod site (Japanese) :

http://info.m-s-tech.jp

*all credits to their original creators

Apr 24, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #16,605 of 42,765
Have you guys seen / discussed the mojo balanced output mod here? Sorry if this is repost. I just want to know the thoughts of some of the experts here regarding audio gears modifications. Unfortunately, most of the info are in Japanese as it was created by one. For now, I'm just following the Facebook post at Ohm Image about the mod. Here are some links:

Ohm Image Facebook post:

If you look closely at the picture, you'll notice the mod on the right headphone out. It's converted to a 2.5mm.

https://www.facebook.com/ohmimage/photos/a.236356593196489.1073741826.115340245298125/622018554630289/?type=3

Mod site (Japanese) :

http://info.m-s-tech.jp

*all credits to their original creators

Yes, it's been covered.

Besides being convenient for not switching a balanced cable for a SE cable it is a useless mod for sound quality. You can not derive a balanced signal from the Mojo, but you can connect a balanced cable/modify a jack to balanced with the proper wiring for ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back