Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 19, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #16,291 of 42,765
Hi mates i am currently own fiio e17 with lg v10 now i am planning to upgrade with chord mojo unfortunatly i dont have a choice to audition mojo so guys please can you advaice me will chord mojo gonna make huge different in the sound instead e17
Thanks

in comparison e17 is sub par and not even remotely close to mojo ability, the overall "feeling" on e17 doesn't feel as good as mojo

Apr 19, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #16,293 of 42,765
That's an interesting His Album X was mastered by Stuart Hawkins at metropolis studios at The PowerHouse in London and Stuart now does his final mix on a Chord Hugo he says he can hear both what is right and more importantly what is wrong in order to correct it. So it's nice to know we've helped him in his process and we all can hear the results just as Stuart heard it. Mojo is a window into the original master recording.

its stuart hawkes btw

Apr 19, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #16,294 of 42,765
Hi mates i am currently own fiio e17 with lg v10 now i am planning to upgrade with chord mojo unfortunatly i dont have a choice to audition mojo so guys please can you advaice me will chord mojo gonna make huge different in the sound instead e17
Thanks

It's all relative. Huge difference? Depends what you mean and what you expect. I find that minute incremental improvements above a certain level can have huge effects on how we perceive music as an emotional experience.

Mojo is a bit of a "Marmite" situation. Either you get it or you don't

For some, like me, it's an indispensable piece of equipment for serious listening which brings recordings to life (or much closer to life than ever before possible in the "real world" of affordable audio). For others (those who tend to scurry back and forth between bits of kit, to try and subjectively hear differences), it leaves them (relatively) cold and wondering what the fuss is about and making value for money judgements about whether Mojo is X times better than Y for the price.

If you can switch off that "thinking" part of your brain, when you are listening and just let the music wash over you, and draw you in to its magic, then you'll be an instant convert. To quantify it, the Timbre and subtle phase differences between left and right  channels are quite incredible with the Mojo. With the latter it's so marked that you initially may think that there's some processing going on (like some surround sound effect) but then your brain settles down and you realise that it's just natural "perfect" stereo you are hearing, just better than you may ever have heard it before.

I haven't heard the E17 but I guess it's similar sonically to the output of the X3ii i have. 

For me the sound of the X3ii is fine but compared to Mojo it's like the difference between an excellent 4k image on a 60 inch screen and actually being there, perhaps? Bad analogy. There's alway been a sense of "lack" with digital audio, for me, a lack of immersion. But I didn't realise it really until I got the mojo. It's like the realism is on a whole new level. Vocals are more emotional, acoustic guitars just sound real (especially when well recorded live, in an acoustic venue), and classical music is just brilliant. It's got me listening to loads of orchestral stuff just for the sheer joy of it. Somehow the music just makes more sense; you get to understand what the composers or artists were trying to achieve more than ever before. Jazz is another medium which works very well with Mojo. With live recordings you become part of the audience, sensing the emotion, the connection between the players, the excitement.

So many times now I am getting "musical moments"; just completely transported away with the music and in the oddest of places, on a train, doing housework, out on a walk. Moments where it all comes together and you are just one with it. Can't say I've had that before and it's pretty addictive!

(note..  you really will need some decent IEMS or overears to do it full justice!)

PS... I bought my Mojo without audition and it just amazed me from day 1. 

Apr 19, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #16,295 of 42,765
”Mojo Moments" is going to end up in the dictionary, I swear, lol! I don't read a lot of "e17 moments". :wink_face:

I used to own the e17, and for the price it's really good from what I recall. The Mojo is better (much better IMO). As salla45 mentioned, the better your transducer the more of a difference you'll notice between the two.

Apr 19, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #16,296 of 42,765

Based on reading some posts, I was under the impression that, the efficiency of an headphone was immaterial to Mojo's battery life. The only factor (besides the volume and heat transfer) that affected the battery life was the File Type.. Have I got that wrong? Please advise..

I'm basing my statement on personal experience. I own a set of Shure E5C IEMs... they are extremely sensitive and with Mojo I almost have to go negative with the volume (unless I want to destroy my eardrums)

Conversely I own a set of Sennheiser HD 650 and 800S... I need to get the volume up in the blue / purple to get them to sing (higher volume = less battery life). Also when I connect via 3.5 mm audio cable the my vehicles stereo system GM / Bose. I need to run the volume up, or increase the line output (less battery life)

In conclusion... I based my rant on my personal findings and no real scientific testing. my suggestion to keep a 12000 mAh powerbank on hand seems like common sense to me. especially if the conditions you listen to Mojo with match what I was talking about and you want to guarantee that you wont be left at the side of the road (see the tesla tie in there?) while on an extended listening session.

I welcome any dissenting opinions and any scientific facts that help advance the cause when it comes to being able to prolong battery life on this little wonder named Mojo

Apr 19, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #16,297 of 42,765
That's an interesting His Album X was mastered by Stuart Hawkins at metropolis studios at The PowerHouse in London and Stuart now does his final mix on a Chord Hugo he says he can hear both what is right and more importantly what is wrong in order to correct it. So it's nice to know we've helped him in his process and we all can hear the results just as Stuart heard it. Mojo is a window into the original master recording.

its stuart hawkes btw

btw, I think that someone told me 
cool.gif
rolleyes.gif
that Stephen Hawkin's was testing the Mojo in hyperspace but he had to abandon the test as hyperspace was lacking

the space for all the hype surrounding the Mojo! 
blink.gif

angry_face.gif

wink_face.gif

P.S. sorry Mython, I could not resist!
etysmile.gif

I am also glad that the vast majority of people are really digging the Mojo!!!

Apr 19, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #16,298 of 42,765

Very interesting, was the Vinyl version of X mastered/rendered during D/A conversion from a Chord Hugo? 

Apr 19, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #16,299 of 42,765
Question for Rob : some companies use electrolytic capacitors in their signal paths for their Dacs, but I recall reading you do not.

Can you kindly write a few words why you do no use them, and what effect they have?

The Hugo and Mojo sounds very fast and punchy to me, without these techniques !

Apr 19, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #16,300 of 42,765
Reviews

Before buying Mojo I dove into the reviews here and everywhere I could find them.  I did not find one negative review, but in particular, I did not find one claim of the 'snake oil' variety where reviewers claimed 'little to no difference' in sound quality.  

What makes this interesting is that I read a number of reviews of Neil Young's player where 'snake oil', either exact, or in similar language, was common, claiming little or no difference in sound quality.  None of these reviews (that I found) mentioned the impact of the brain processing more information in the higher standard. (Some reviewers had a subtle negativity about Young and finance, as an issue)

Is this something not generally known among music reviewers?  I recognize that average music fans may not (I had not) so there was nothing about learning curves, or even adjustments to listening to Flac versus compressed files.  

Even now using search I have not encountered a single negative review on Mojo.  

For those long term audiophiles, is this something rare, and special today, or is it something you've encountered over the years?  (is it a 'regular' event?)

We had family over for the NY Rangers hockey playoff game (displaced New Yorker) and I had fun with Mojo, having each family member name one of their most favorite songs in life, something they are very familiar with, and then placing the T1's on their heads and letting Mojo do its magic.  

Each one gave a detailed description of how different this was, including 'the instruments are separated!' and 'I didn't realize that ____ was playing in the background!" and "I never heard this before!" comments.  

This was all untrained ears and they chose their own life long favorite songs.  It was a lot of fun.  I know what they are all thinking....

"Mojo for Christmas!"

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #16,301 of 42,765
@maxh22, 'jaw dropped' is exactly the phrase I was looking to describe the reaction of a person to whom I offered my mojo and Beyer dt880 600 ohm combo for listening the hotel California song. initially he offered me his ipod for Beyer dt880 and the song was yes the universal tester hotel California from hell freezes over. I said I am also having the same song in my fiio x3 and listen it with mojo on Beyer dt880 . I would say the reaction on his face was just worth observing. the smile on his face was telling everything and yes it was a jaw dropping reaction on his face too. people simply find it hard to accept on forums that mojo beats many dacs and headphone amps worth many times more the cost of mojo.

Speaking of "Hotel California" from the Hell Freezes Over album, I highly recommend purchasing the "Special Tour Edition" re-release of this album. It comes with both the CD and DVD of the performances.

Now, in the DVD, there are three types of audio processing you can choose for the audio: Dolby, DTS, and Uncompressed. Go for the uncompressed which has no dynamic range compression in the mastering. Use a program such as DVD Audio Extractor to extract the uncompressed audio and encode as FLAC.

It's simply awesome, whether it is Hotel California or Heart of the Matter. When there are more instruments being played or more vocalists singing together, the volume naturally gets louder, it gets softer during softer passages of the track.

A very involving listen that reveals both the strengths of the Mojo and how musical it can be when one is not having to fight the "loudness wars".

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #16,303 of 42,765
Will there ever be a version of mojo that can be powered by a 5v dc jack instead of microUSB? I find i need to replace my microUSB nearly constantly because one of the 2 pins on the cable gets stuck very quickly, leading to it failing to make a connection, and me being sad when I go to take my mojo out for the day but find the USB cable isn't 100% seated correctly thus it never charged.

Anyone else run into this annoyance charging theirs? I might just have bad luck with micro USB cables. I buy all different brands.

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #16,304 of 42,765
Will there ever be a version of mojo that can be powered by a 5v dc jack instead of microUSB?

Think they do, it's called Hugo :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back