Chord Hugo
Apr 29, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #10,486 of 15,694
Marantz CD6005 has both optical and spdif out. To make comparison, I compare CD6005 optical vs mac mini optical into chord Hugo. So far CD6005 gives the best sq as transport. I'm planning to install a linear power supply so hopefully the mac mini sq can be equal or close to CD6005.

Apr 29, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #10,487 of 15,694
New Hugo owner here having some trouble. I get audiable clicks during playback when using the HD USB port. I don't notice this issue when using the standard USB port and playing the same tracks. The problem happens on 44k tracks but seems worse on 96k tracks. I have a raspberry pi running Volumio as my transport. It pulls files from a NAS and is connected with ethernet, no wifi. Has anyone experienced this with their Hugo and have any tips to resolve it?

If it is possible to run the Pi from a battery source, it may well cure the problem. Many newer PC motherboards have very clean audio sections and don't suffer this, but I am sure the Pi is not one. I occasionally stream files from a NAS, but it's fast Wifi (even DSD is fine) to an Android tablet running USB Audio Player Pro. I don't get the problems you have as it is clean battery power. Even so, I prefer the coax input fed by X5 for sound quality.

Apr 29, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #10,488 of 15,694
Thanks, would be interesting to compare if you use coax out on your Marantz to Hugo, as the Hugo coax in is preferred by some.

Marantz CD6005 has both optical and spdif out. To make comparison, I compare CD6005 optical vs mac mini optical into chord Hugo. So far CD6005 gives the best sq as transport. I'm planning to install a linear power supply so hopefully the mac mini sq can be equal or close to CD6005.

Apr 29, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #10,489 of 15,694
Thanks, would be interesting to compare if you use coax out on your Marantz to Hugo, as the Hugo coax in is preferred by some.

The problem with Hugo USB is that it's not galvanically isolated and the PC/Mac Mini USB output has 5v which can contaminate the USB input of Hugo. The CDP doesn't suffer from this issue, hence I don't think there's much difference in the sq of CDP coax vs optical. I tried ibasso DX90 through coaxial into Hugo for brief period of time and the difference between this and CDP is not as big as Mac Mini.

Apr 29, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #10,491 of 15,694
New Hugo owner here having some trouble. I get audiable clicks during playback when using the HD USB port. I don't notice this issue when using the standard USB port and playing the same tracks. The problem happens on 44k tracks but seems worse on 96k tracks. I have a raspberry pi running Volumio as my transport. It pulls files from a NAS and is connected with ethernet, no wifi. Has anyone experienced this with their Hugo and have any tips to resolve it?

I had the same issue with stock player and PowerAmp player on Note 4 (Exinos). But It was resolved with USB Audio Player PRO (Play throw Android should be switched off). I think it's buffering issue on the SW part.

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #10,492 of 15,694
Rob Watts said it's expected, Shure Se846 are very sensitive. He recommended using the impedance adapter thingy.

Thanks.  Yes, I remember now.

In which case @ubs28 I'm sure our Hugo's are fully up-to-standard 
L3000.gif

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #10,493 of 15,694
If it is possible to run the Pi from a battery source, it may well cure the problem. Many newer PC motherboards have very clean audio sections and don't suffer this, but I am sure the Pi is not one. I occasionally stream files from a NAS, but it's fast Wifi (even DSD is fine) to an Android tablet running USB Audio Player Pro. I don't get the problems you have as it is clean battery power. Even so, I prefer the coax input fed by X5 for sound quality.

I could try something like that. Good news is today I connected a windows netbook running foobar to the HD USB port and the problem is cleared. So the Pi is the culprit and will need some tweaking. I did get a nice reply from the Chord folks who mentioned the HD USB port draws more CPU than the standard port. Might be taxing the PI and I'll need to test more over the weekend.

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #10,494 of 15,694
Thanks.  Yes, I remember now.

In which case @ubs28
 I'm sure our Hugo's are fully up-to-standard :L3000:

Listened out for 846 hiss last night after reading this, and remembering a chat with Duncan at the weekend HeadFi meet. Yes, very slightly at midnight with silence all around and no music playing. Reassuring being a vinyl fan! As I read recently, the world is full of surface noise :). But so minimal I wouldn't find it ever a distraction.

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #10,495 of 15,694
Connected Hugo to my Tag McLaren HiFi today. Great sounds with X5/Hugo combo but I then tried with my Sonos system. Sonos streaming was mediocre until I attached a Rega Dac two years ago and since then quite acceptable but unable to play hires. The Hugo takes things to another level, didn't realise Sonos could sound this good! Such a flow to the music, I was just testing a track and ended up 45 minutes later having rediscovered Woodface by Crowded House album with a big smile.

Only just bought Hugo for headphone use, I now want another one plumbed into mains for lounge!

Apr 30, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #10,500 of 15,694
Has the on-off switch become loose or developed issues for those of you with over a year usage?
I am thinking of leaving it plugged in all the time while indoors to avoid wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back