Chord Hugo
Apr 7, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #10,201 of 15,694
Totally, but right now i need some sleep.

Short preview of what i learned. Hugo is unique, it is able to do a thing that no other device can, but it costs a lot, probably for other countries it's price is not that big compared to what people have to spend. 

Another short ideea, a fiio x5+E12A stack can sound close to hugo when it comes to tonality, neutrality, and soundstage, and black background. 

With hugo, the transients, and the oversampling and upsampling, and the interpolation algorithms, make music, what it is with hugo, a totally different experience.

After hearing lots of comments saying that idsd is close to hugo, i also tested it. It is totally different, and if you liked or like hugo, you might not like idsd as much.

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #10,202 of 15,694
Here we go, THE ultimate (micro) USB cable for £1,350 or £1,125 without VAT

http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/vertere-pulse-hb-double-usb-cable.html
http://www.rutherfordaudio.com/media/downloads_import/pdf/Pulse_Cable_System%20Brochure.pdf

552482f554c46.jpg

552482fbde84e.jpg

552483025aaf4.jpg

Rave reviews by local audiophiles here in Hong Kong, also receiving positive feedback as shown in the latest April 2015 issue of AudioArt magazine as shown above

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?16660-Vertere-HB-Series-usb-cable
http://audioexotics.hk/index.php?option=com_simplestforum&view=postlist&forumId=1&parentId=12150&topic=true&Itemid=53

I already ordered the coaxial version for £830 (without VAT) and let's see how it goes. Vertere Pulse HB Double USB Cable already defeated the most expensive USB cables @ 4,000 / 6,750 / 9,000 bucks

http://www.thecableco.com/Product/Crystal-USB-Dreamline-Plus
http://www.thecableco.com/Product/Golden-Universal-Crown
http://www.thecableco.com/Product/Crystal-USB-Absolute-Dream

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #10,203 of 15,694
After months of telling myself that, I shipped my Taurus off to a new owner earlier today. I admit that I preferred the HD800 from the Taurus but that wasnt sufficient reason to keep it - as with anything in this hobby there will always be those who feel differently but the Hugo's headphone out will have to meet my needs for now. There are worse fates  :D

I went shopping for a HDVD800 but I wasn't impressed, so I had my eyes set on the Taurus. But even the Taurus isn't a major upgrade?

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #10,204 of 15,694
I went shopping for a HDVD800 but I wasn't impressed, so I had my eyes set on the Taurus. But even the Taurus isn't a major upgrade?

It depends on what you consider a 'major upgrade' - it has effortless power and control over the HD800 right across the frequency spectrum. The best bass I've ever heard from the HD800 and a treble that isnt in the slightest bit intrusive despite the headphone's unfortunate reputation in that respect. At 55 I simply may not have been as susceptible to the HD800's alleged treble issues as some but at normal volumes I didnt think it was anywhere near as pronounced as the Grados I've owned, particularly the SR325is. Not sure what you were looking for from the HDVD800 but a good headphone amp shouldnt leap out at you - if anything, it needs to disappear and that would be the highest compliment I could pay the Taurus. 

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #10,209 of 15,694
What is the difference betwern the two versions of the Hugo?

New version has USB ports inverted and strengthened solder.  Also, opening for RCA ports opened up for easier jack insertion.

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #10,211 of 15,694
  That would make 3 versions (ignoring the colour) as mine (black) has new chassis, but original USB mounts.

Ditto here.

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #10,212 of 15,694
I'll forgive Rob doing a little sales pitch on the Hugo
biggrin.gif
, as he designed it and it is the best audio investment that I have made, and everything that I play through it sounds better than my previous system. Thanks Rob!

I am yet to be convinced by 24/192 vs 44. 1/16,though, I think mastering is far more important. It comes back to my earlier comment in a previous post about thinking and knowing. I have some HDtracks recordings and they sound nice, sometimes I think they sound better - but is that only because I *want* them to because they *should* sound better? Probably.

When I got the Hugo I *knew* it sounded better than my DX90 or Rega DAC. That was straight out of the box no warm up, no " I wasn't sure to begin with but after 100 hours it really began to open up", the difference was immediate - the Hugo just replicates the original sound of the musicians as if they are playing right in front of you, so much better than anything else I have listened to.

Back to 44.16 vs 24/192 - can anyone list two recordings one in 44.16 and another in 24/192 (same mastering) that to their mind shows the difference - that I can buy and listen to.

A  bit late, but Mark Knopfler's Tracker.  Iended up with both 44.1 and 192.  The 192 is more convincing background for one thing i.e., Laughs & Jokes, Drinks & smokes.  I sware upon my wife's eventual grave, there's a diference.

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #10,213 of 15,694

A  bit late, but Mark Knopfler's Tracker.  Iended up with both 44.1 and 192.  The 192 is more convincing background for one thing i.e., Laughs & Jokes, Drinks & smokes.  I sware upon my wife's eventual grave, there's a diference.

Possible that the original master recording was in 192 and they downsampled.
Someone else mentioned this already in this thread.

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #10,214 of 15,694

Possible that the original master recording was in 192 and they downsampled.
Someone else mentioned this already in this thread.

Of course.  MK has been using at least 96k and probably higher since at least, Ragpicker's Dream.  So, yes, it must be down-sampled, which may not only prove that mastering is important, but is also just part of the quality of the chain that brings us better sounding hi-res recordings.
As I've said before, I sware I hear a difference between 41 and 96 or higher, and am perfectly willing to burry my head in the sand against all the HD political factions; and enjoy.

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #10,215 of 15,694

Of course.  MK has been using at least 96k and probably higher since at least, Ragpicker's Dream.  So, yes, it must be down-sampled, which may not only prove that mastering is important, but is also just part of the quality of the chain that brings us better sounding hi-res recordings.
As I've said before, I sware I hear a difference between 41 and 96 or higher, and am perfectly willing to burry my head in the sand against all the HD political factions; and enjoy.

Are you using your Hugo ? 

It's true there are so many things to consider why a high-res recording sounds excellent or sometimes crappy.
It depends very much on the chain and nowadays you have thousands of options to change it...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back