Chord Hugo
Mar 22, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #9,991 of 15,694
Hi whazzzup

I have just taken delivery of a black hugo, my micro USB connection is also loose, I am using an audio works custom cable, but the are all loose moving side to side...... What is a replacement ra, what did chord do with yours, and have you solved the problem, should I take it back for a replacement

Thanks

this is obviously the weak spot for the hugo, should be usb A would solve the problem instead of using micro. I bought some 6" 12" and 18" usb cables cheap for my camera kit adapter into my Iphone, that solved the wiggle issue. I bought a audio quest cinnamon usb A to micro for my imac. also not a problem. The supplied stock cables seem to have less tolerance. I also use the leather chord hugo case that has a usb protector sort of built in. However this is not a rugged portable option from banging, jiggling either. I kept my smaller vamp verza which has a small thunderbolt to usb A connector that is pretty solid for when i need more compact and solid transport.
So get some cheap usb micro cables...... probably the rest of the device is good, getting another will not solve the stock usb issue, unless you have one of the rare usb itself is loose issues. 

If you are still unhappy talk to the retailer you bought it from.

Mar 23, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #9,992 of 15,694
Could anyone say a thing or two (or lots) on the Hugo pairing with the Sennheiser HD650 please? Thanks!

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #9,994 of 15,694
  it works amazing, if you already love hd650 signature.

I really do love the 650s but I was a little worried because I've heard the Hugo's pretty much dead-neutral, if not a little on the cold side. I personally don't like Burson amps with the 650s because they make them bright, too bright for me.

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #9,995 of 15,694
  I really do love the 650s but I was a little worried because I've heard the Hugo's pretty much dead-neutral, if not a little on the cold side. I personally don't like Burson amps with the 650s because they make them bright, too bright for me.

hugo is not in the bright side... it is more on the neutral side, adding something that cannot be named.. i cannot touch with words what it adds to sound, it is like it brings something different to the sound, something i had not found with any other amps. After testing Burson amps, i can say that you should test hugo and see if you like what it adds to the sound.

For me hd650 were not birght enough with any amp i tried, they were too dark for my tastes, but from all DAC/AMPs, hugo was the best sounding.

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #9,996 of 15,694
  hugo is not in the bright side... it is more on the neutral side, adding something that cannot be named.. i cannot touch with words what it adds to sound, it is like it brings something different to the sound, something i had not found with any other amps. After testing Burson amps, i can say that you should test hugo and see if you like what it adds to the sound.

For me hd650 were not birght enough with any amp i tried, they were too dark for my tastes, but from all DAC/AMPs, hugo was the best sounding.

Hmm... (scratches head) would you say that the Hugo got rid of the Sennheiser "veil" (ofc some don't think it even exists but just asking anyway), or makes it a bit more bright compared to any of the other amps you've got?

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #9,997 of 15,694
  Hmm... (scratches head) would you say that the Hugo got rid of the Sennheiser "veil" (ofc some don't think it even exists but just asking anyway), or makes it a bit more bright compared to any of the other amps you've got?

bright not.. To be sincere, i have not heared a single amp that could be named bright, in my experience all amps were more or less neutral, trying to add power. only tube amps were not transparent, which added some sort of new sounds, which i was not really into.

something about taking a veil off the sound, if you want to use this comparation, but think about it this way, before you listen to hugo you do not know that the veils exists, so it is very subjective, and my experience is mine, yours might differ.

i would seriously recommend hugoas the ultimate end game amp/DAC, but would also suggest one to get the best headphones before. for example, if you like hd650 sound, the closest that sounds similar, but better in every way [to my ears] are LCD series, specially LCD2 and LCD3.

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #9,998 of 15,694

In my limited opinion, a brighter amp to the hugo for me is hpa8. That takes some vail off my th900 which is actually desirable. I would not suggest hugo is warm, just warmer than that. It is accurate, transparent with a tight kicking base.

Mar 23, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #9,999 of 15,694
I am a bit late to the party. I am feeding my Hugo using optical with an AK240. Hugo is in bypass mode going to the Duet.

Sound wise I like the DAC part very much, the internal amp hasn't convinced me yet.

Is the power button on all units so flimsy?

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #10,000 of 15,694
I got my Hugo a few days ago. But I couldnt solved bluetooth static issue. I use iPhone 6.

Is there a solution for bluetooth? Or do i have to use it wired?

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #10,001 of 15,694
Is the power button on all units so flimsy?

Yes, the switch is nothing special. I imagine they used this type because they were space constrained.

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #10,002 of 15,694
  I got my Hugo a few days ago. But I couldnt solved bluetooth static issue. I use iPhone 6.

Are you in a wifi network area? Bluetooth performance can be impacted by wifi.

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #10,003 of 15,694

I only used wired, may even have to go to airplane mode. I use also vamp verza which has six layers anti interference pcb, hugo not so much in that regard. Sounds better so hugo wins for me.

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #10,004 of 15,694
  bright not.. To be sincere, i have not heared a single amp that could be named bright, in my experience all amps were more or less neutral, trying to add power. only tube amps were not transparent, which added some sort of new sounds, which i was not really into.

something about taking a veil off the sound, if you want to use this comparation, but think about it this way, before you listen to hugo you do not know that the veils exists, so it is very subjective, and my experience is mine, yours might differ.

i would seriously recommend hugoas the ultimate end game amp/DAC, but would also suggest one to get the best headphones before. for example, if you like hd650 sound, the closest that sounds similar, but better in every way [to my ears] are LCD series, specially LCD2 and LCD3.

Thanks for your answers but it seems like I will have to go around demoing things with a 650 to get a totally accurate idea then. (YMMV, as everyone says)

I do understand your recommendation for a great headphone (I mean it makes more sense that way) but after demoing just about every headphone out there, I love the 650. I mean, I am aware that it's not as defined as LCDs, nor fast, nor less-laid back, and so on, but I like it. :p
But I am taking a look at the EL-8 meanwhile.

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #10,005 of 15,694
In my limited opinion, a brighter amp to the hugo for me is hpa8. That takes some vail off my th900 which is actually desirable. I would not suggest hugo is warm, just warmer than that. It is accurate, transparent with a tight kicking base.

I cannot imagine too many headphones having trouble with the Hugo at all, especially with the TH900. The 650 however, because of its dark sound and the "veil" and all, I was curious. Will try to get a chance to listen to the Hugo myself in the near future then! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back