Chord Hugo
Mar 6, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #9,856 of 15,694
Just got my Hugo tonight.
Very plain black box with diagonal Chord Hugo labeling running completely on 4 of 5 sides.  The 5th side has the serial (25400), color and region checked off grids; like an athletic shoe box.
On the bottom is specifications.
The box does not look like ones from a year ago, seen on Youtube.

The unit is solid and lighter than I thought.  Heck, my iPhone 6 plus feels more dense.
The tan leather case is very well made with perfect stitching, fits the Hugo like a glove.

Plug in the wall adaptor, the white light turns on.  
Off to bed.

Mar 8, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #9,861 of 15,694
  Hello,

Not sure if its being discussed, the stock USB cable from Hugo is rather flimsy. Is there any USB cable recommended? I'm connecting the Hugo to my phone (LG3) for travelling.

I have an otg cable from Forza Audioworks for my LG G3 and HRT microstreamer. A smooth setup with only one cable.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/14/5a6ab12d2eaff47ce95a779ba78a3e5c.jpg.
Matthew at FAW makes custom usb cables, here's the link http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/category.php?id_category=24.

Mar 8, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #9,862 of 15,694
Reply to Chord Hugo

My Hugo is two weeks old when I purchased it. I thought I should listen to it for a little while and across my different headphones & two channel stereo system, before posting a more detailed review.

For many people the thought of spending £1,400 on a (portable) DAC would be one of incredulity, indeed 18 months ago I would have been no different - but my audiophile journey which started then, has now reached its final destination as far as the DAC/Amp is concerned. And I don't feel silly having spent that money on the Hugo. It really is *that* good.

I have played the Hugo through Ultimate Ears TP FI 10s, Bose Triport headphones and Sennheiser 600HDs. And also as a DAC into my Fatman 202 Valve amplifer into stereo Revolver 3 speakers. I generally use either dx90 coax or IPad to micro USB input. I have found Bluetooth to work OK, ie no extraneous noises but the IPhone needs to be really near to the Hugo.

The Hugo is just sublime. It has the ability to sound analog, whilst presenting the music with crystaline clarity, but then also having a depth of bass that is simply the best that I have heard. And the depth and 3D affect of the sound stage is like nothing else I have heard. It is analogous to peeling back an onion. I am listening to music where new layers have been revealed which I simply couldn't detect as separate layers before. It is utterly fantastic. It is the detail that it is able to extract which is the big differentiator for me. The Hugo reveals details in music that I never thought possible. I have heard comments of it being bright - it isn't bright at all, just accurate.

Listening through the Sennheiser 600HDs is terrific. The Hugo drives them with ease. Volume is at "light green". As an example, listening to Endless River (CD quality) you are able to hear all the different layers & instruments upon which the music has been built. Close your eyes and you are just sucked into the psychedelic space rock world of Pink Floyd. Memorising. It doesn't get much better than this.

In the last 18 months, I have moved from a ipod classic to a dx50 to a dx90 and there was a noticeable improvement each time - but the Hugo is like a night & day difference. The improvement in quality was instant, something that I did not experience with change from ipod Classic to dx50 to dx90.

It seems to be able to represent the sound of how the original music was played.

I will be selling my Leckerton 6S- mkii Amp with the tubey 627 Opamps, because although I love the sound it produces from the Dx90, its warmth was at the expense of clarity, whilst the Ibasso PB2 with JCR2068s (as an example) provide a wonderful transparency but at the expense of warmth. Somehow the Hugo can do both and I have have felt no interest in putting them as part of the chain. It will be sad to let them go but I can't really justify having all three.

Some examples of Hugo's brilliance.

Knights of Cydonia - even at MP3@320 the sound of the shimmering harmonica send shivers through you - an example of how good the Hugo is with mid to highs

TalkTalk - Spirit of Eden - how accurate the instruments sound eg taughtness of the drums, cymbals, the haunting voice of Mark Hollis

Vangelis - various tracks. You just hear that depth & multilayering of sound

Queen - Bijou when the first note hits you. Wow, just wow.

Pink Floyd - Endless River. First track. The vibrating strings of the guitar gives me goose pimples . The second track, Gilmour's high pitched guitar notes , such clarity, almost feels likes it is cutting me in half. The cymbals are out there in the middle of the room.

Hugo is amazing. It has left me speechless. The sound coming from it is the best I have ever heard. It has an incredible level of detail, control, punch and depth. The precision is really hard to describe. It makes everything that you throw through it, sound fantastic and even lossy music often really good.

I can't claim to be an expert in understanding how a DAC actually works, but I do get that the Hugo does the conversion in a different way to the norm and that it is doing it a more accurate manner than the other Wolfsen or Sabre DAC chips. I therefore follow the logic that that is why the Hugo sounds so good. Sound wise, I can't see that it has any weak points. The bass is deep, the mids & highs so musical and the music has such a 3D depth to it. It just so musical and it does *everything* so well.

I find it interesting that when I upgraded before, I found it the improvement from one machine to another to be incremental, whereas with the Hugo, it is has been transformational. There is no other way to describe it. For me it is a game changer and that is why I won't be changing from the Hugo any time soon. I don't see any point. :D:D

Mar 8, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #9,863 of 15,694
Great review, Highfell. Thanks much. You said "I have heard comments of being bright" that is interesting, I thought there were comments of the Hugo being slightly on the warm side of natural. So, is it slightly bright or is it slightly warm?

To change the topic a little bit from sound quality to upgrade cycle, the Hugo is now out for almost one and a half year and for those still on the fence, do you think there will be an upgrade coming? I understand until they release a new Spartan chip , the tap length is not likely to increase or may be they can? Seems like Rob was talking about a 164,000 tap length project. That may not be applicable to a portable device due to current demand, but if he could even just double the existing tap lenght that will be quite awesome. Besides, they can improve other areas besides tap length like using super capacitor, inclusion of a balance out like in the TT etc. I wonder if Chord has any plan to upgrade the Hugo?

Mar 8, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #9,864 of 15,694
Still waiting for the Audioquest Diamond USB and Audioquest micro USB adaptor to join the Jena Labs StreamDancer USB-2.

The SE846 sounds wonderful with the iPhone 6 plus and even more refined with the Chord's amp. (Using the Chord included patch cords.)
Makes me miss less my 300B tubes at home using the Hugo the last two days on the road.

Mar 8, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #9,865 of 15,694
Sample Rate Question

I'm using Audirvana Plus (DSD over PCM Standard 1.0) to play DSD64 files from my MAC to my Hugo via HD USB input,  and get the white sample rate indicator.  When I play the same file from my AK120 using Hugo's stock TOSLink cable, the sample rate indicator is 88.2 (yellow).  I've played 96,176.4 and 192 FLACs via the stock TOSLink cable, why would my DSD get knocked down to 88.2?  

I was able to find this post from another forum, any thoughts?  

...I connected the Toslink output of my AK120 to my Cambridge Audio DACMagic+. When playing DSD content from the AK120, the DM+ lights up the 88.2KHz indicator for sampling rate. This suggests the AK120 is decimating DSD to 24/88.2 PCM, which goes to the Toslink jack and the Wolfson DACs, though this is still speculation, not proof....

How would one get DSD sample rates from the AK120 to the Hugo like this?

Post 2009 here:
  Hi all.

I'll like to share with you all that the DoP method works with AK120 > TosLink > Hugo. Here's some pictures to illustrate the DSD in operation:

The TosLink cable is from: http://www.sysconcept.ca/product_info.php?products_id=349

This Hugo is awesome. Made my non-audiophile friends smile too.

Regards,
CK

Mar 8, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #9,866 of 15,694
Still waiting for the Audioquest Diamond USB and Audioquest micro USB adaptor to join the Jena Labs StreamDancer USB-2.

The SE846 sounds wonderful with the iPhone 6 plus and even more refined with the Chord's amp. (Using the Chord included patch cords.)
Makes me miss less my 300B tubes at home using the Hugo the last two days on the road.

Nice looking usb cable, im using audio quest cinnamon modded for hugo usb to micro, from my Mac 384 32 bit. For portable I have 6 inch micro to usb to attach to camera kit to Thunderbolt for my iPhone. Tucks under the usb micro strap of the Hugo case perfectly.

Mar 8, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #9,867 of 15,694
Nice looking usb cable, im using audio quest cinnamon modded for hugo usb to micro, from my Mac 384 32 bit. For portable I have 6 inch micro to usb to attach to camera kit to Thunderbolt for my iPhone. Tucks under the usb micro strap of the Hugo case perfectly.

I think I will order a short Cinnamon with a direct micro USB for travel when i get back.  The Jena Labs and Diamond USB maybe overkill on a plane or train.

The iPhone 6 plus fits snugly in the Chord case.  With the Apple kit and USB wires dangling.

Have you tried optical connection with your Mac? Software and cables used?

Thanks.

Mar 8, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #9,868 of 15,694
No I have not used opticle yet. Exclusively usb from my imac, Apple lossless 320 k, I tunes.

Mar 8, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #9,869 of 15,694
Great review, Highfell. Thanks much. You said "I have heard comments of being bright" that is interesting, I thought there were comments of the Hugo being slightly on the warm side of natural. So, is it slightly bright or is it slightly warm?

I find it to be neither. It really has great mids & highs, whilst having a deep bass and that wide 3D soundstage.

I really think that it is the Hugo's ability to so accurately reflect the music flowing through it that makes it so wonderful.

The number of awards/accolades that it has won as shown on the Chord Electronics website says it all really.

Mar 8, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #9,870 of 15,694
  Not sure if its being discussed, the stock USB cable from Hugo is rather flimsy. Is there any USB cable recommended? I'm connecting the Hugo to my phone (LG3) for travelling.

I am a recent Hugo owner and also thought that the supplied USB cables didn't fit at all well - really loose.  I'm sure better cables will fix this though.

Matthew at FAW makes custom usb cables, here's the link http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/category.php?id_category=24.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've sent them a message to see if they know if their cables fit the Hugo.

Anyone else have other USB cable recommendations?

Rob, do you have any USB cable recommendations that you have used with low RF noise?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back