Chord Hugo
Feb 24, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #9,751 of 15,694

Many thanks,

Oh, ok ! It is possible that sometimes I forgot to reset the cross fade...

It should be useful to get from Chord a standalone preamp/DAC firmware. 

On start up the cross feed setting is off (the light is off) on my Hugo. So no problem, for the listening sessions made before to test the Hugo...

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #9,752 of 15,694
I listen lg g3 + hugo and the sound is the same as without it((! Hugo did not sound impressive!

my hm 901 sounds on par with Hugo+lg g3!
I expected more from Hugo for the money 2400$
There are so many reason for this. Personal preference could be one major issue.
What do you like about hm901 and what are u looking for in Hugo?

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #9,756 of 15,694
Ea
Earsonics s-em6! I listing flac!

i guess that you expected there to be much more of a difference.

the difference is huge, once you are willing to submit to the law of diminishing returns, but if you consider the price/performance pure ratio, and what other devices are capable of, then, i guess that you hear what really is. 

hugo is a little more clear, a little more alive, a little more dynamic, a little more micro details and a little in your face details, in music. this is the difference, that is worth the price for many.

once you already have a good DAC, with a good enough amp for what you drive, headphones/ iems that you love, and lossless music, there are only minor differences. the more you pay, the more minor the differences are going to be.

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #9,757 of 15,694
Ea
what else did you expected to see?

what headphones/iems do you use with it?

are your files lossless?

Earsonics s-em6! I listing flac!

I dunno, I can't listen to my iPhone six direct anymore, not that it was that bad, using th900 or shure 846, now that I have hugo.
I will caveat that hugo has a sound, some love it more than others when comparing different dacs. I really beleive it's cans and cables that sync up right to your tastes or not. Frankly as much as I like the hugo, I also like my hpa8 with my 900. It's different again more mids, highs, clarity and sub bass. Now that's as close to a slap to the cult of hugo as I'll give. Frankly I like its sq as well. Granted the phone direct won't cut it for me any more.

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #9,758 of 15,694
I am using shure srh 940 with Hugo for music and watching movies late night. I would say the combo sounds so much open and transparent. sound is a kind of in front of you instead of in your head. this shure can go very loud with Hugo. pure bliss !

Feb 25, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #9,759 of 15,694
The iPhone 6 does not support lossless bluetooth no aptx, so once it reaches the hugo it will be lossy I think....so even though tidal is lossless it will be compressed via Bluetooth.

Check out this link..... I hope I am wrong welcome thoughts

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/blog/difference-between-airplay-bluetooth

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #9,760 of 15,694
May be this has been already said but what I do appreciate with the Hugo is the rendition of the tones of music instruments particularly the acoustic instruments. With a guitar for example, we are able to distinguish easily what kind of string is played (steel or Nylon), the sound hole and wood resonances ,the frets, the friction and the movements of the finger or nails. For the same price we get additionally the breath of the musician, the friction of the clothes, the foot beating the rhythm... All the DAC are able to do this but only a few are able to provide this kind of natural, equilibrium, richness and spectral linearity. 

Additionaly, I like the rendition of the "rising time" which is a weakness when playing 16/44 in comparison to analogic playing. The work made to reduce the inter sample delay using an elaborate filtering/interpolating algorithm seems to be fruitfully for the ears. The interpolating method is valid if the calculated inter-samples are pertinent  and I think this is the case with this DAC.

Feb 26, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #9,761 of 15,694
  May be this has been already said but what I do appreciate with the Hugo is the rendition of the tones of music instruments particularly the acoustic instruments. With a guitar for example, we are able to distinguish easily what kind of string is played (steel or Nylon), the sound hole and wood resonances ,the frets, the friction and the movements of the finger or nails. For the same price we get additionally the breath of the musician, the friction of the clothes, the foot beating the rhythm... All the DAC are able to do this but only a few are able to provide this kind of natural, equilibrium, richness and spectral linearity. 

Additionaly, I like the rendition of the "rising time" which is a weakness when playing 16/44 in comparison to analogic playing. The work made to reduce the inter sample delay using an elaborate filtering/interpolating algorithm seems to be fruitfully for the ears. The interpolating method is valid if the calculated inter-samples are pertinent  and I think this is the case with this DAC.

What do you mean by "rising time"?

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #9,764 of 15,694
It is inherent in the sampling and frequency. At 44,1 Khz, the time separation beetween 2 consecutive samples is about 1/44100=22 uS (micro second) . In analogic domain, there is no this limitation. The rising edge  is better described. The attack and decay of a sound are more accurate.

Feb 26, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #9,765 of 15,694
i had been in this thread for a pretty long time. yet even after listening to hugo, and considering it the best thing audio portable ever created, i still feel the need to ask something.

hugo is rated not having a lot of driving power. i need a very portable setup, not necessarly for listening outside, but i need to take it with me in a backpack. considering that i need to power hd800, should i add an external amp for more power, or use only hugo to drive them? and if i need a secondary amp, what amp do hugo owners use for hd800? portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back