Chord Hugo
Dec 13, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #9,061 of 15,694

I use the USB Audio Player (UAP) app to playback high-res PCM files on the GS5 + Hugo combination.  

24/192 files can be played but I hear pops + crackles as well. 

Oh, that's interesting. Oddly enough, I am not noticing pops and crackles using my GS5 + Arrow 5G (with DAC) + HD800. Also, using the SD usb input in Hugo, I also do not hear any crackles/pop - whether phone is airplane mode or not. I believe the issue must be in Hugo HD mode only.

Do you hear pops/crackles using GS5 usb to usb input to Hugo SD mode?

Dec 13, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #9,062 of 15,694
I love the TH900 with the Hugo, but I would also like to try the LCD=XC. I'm sure they're both good choices. I own the TH900 and I listen to them a lot more than the HD800. 

I'm kind of in the same boat wonder which can is better with the Hugo: TH900 or LCD XC/X/3. Especially one that have a solid bottom end!

Dec 14, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #9,063 of 15,694
Oh, that's interesting. Oddly enough, I am not noticing pops and crackles using my GS5 + Arrow 5G (with DAC) + HD800. Also, using the SD usb input in Hugo, I also do not hear any crackles/pop - whether phone is airplane mode or not. I believe the issue must be in Hugo HD mode only.

What buffer size do you have set on UAPP (and do you have USB Tweaks enabled?), and do you clean out the memory of other apps sat in the phones memory?

Different handset, but same architecture (Note 4), and I have buffer size as 2048 frames, and - seemingly have no issues...

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #9,065 of 15,694
What buffer size do you have set on UAPP (and do you have USB Tweaks enabled?), and do you clean out the memory of other apps sat in the phones memory?

Different handset, but same architecture (Note 4), and I have buffer size as 2048 frames, and - seemingly have no issues...

level3 might be the person to answer, as I am using Neutron, not UAPP. I have no other audio apps in my GS5. BTW, I have Android KitKat 4.4.4. It's possible this can be an issue corrected by KitKat 5, which I believe has better usb audio support.

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #9,066 of 15,694
  Hi, 

I just got a Hugo a few days ago and I don't know why you all love it so much. Yeah it sounds great, but no one talks about the dark side. I don't sleep, eat, or talk to my family anymore! Just kidding (well mostly), another huge Hugo fan!

I had a question about portable use with an iPhone. I'm going  Neuton App > CCK > Moon Audio USB micro cable > Hugo. The things is I was pretty satisfied until one day the red/44.1k samplerate light turned orange/48k and then later changed back.To me ears the 48k definitely sounded better. The maddening thing is that I don't why it changed to 48k or why it changed back to 44.1. I've tried everything to get it to upsample again, including the sample control on Neutron, but the option is no longer there. 

Is there anyone who understands this issue? Thanks!

Sounds like you were using the SD input, then switched to HD, then back to SD.

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #9,068 of 15,694

Duncan,

I owe you a cappuccino and/or beer sometime.  You are right.

USB tweak 1 + 2048 buffer frame setting = no more pops + crackles. And, there is no need for me to activate airplane mode.

THANKS! 

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #9,069 of 15,694
Duncan,

I owe you a cappuccino and/or beer sometime.  You are right.

USB tweak 1 + 2048 buffer frame setting = no more pops + crackles. And, there is no need for me to activate airplane mode.

THANKS! 
NP :)

If you get the "der-d-d-der-d-d-der" noises, that will still be the cell signal from your handset (dropping from 3/4G down to 2/2.5G) - not a lot you can do about that, and - that is where airplane mode unfortunately would still be needed...

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #9,070 of 15,694

katulu,

My GS5 is running on KK 4.4.2.

I have UAPP, jetAudio+, Poweramp and Onkyo HF Player (android version). 

UAPP >> HD USB problem solved with Duncan's advice as post above.

jetAudio+ >> standard USB = some popping/crackling.

Onkyo HF player >> standard USB = lots of popping/crackling.

Poweramp >> standard USB = very occasional p/c.

I recommend you to use UAPP with GS5 + Hugo... for no added "special effects" if you follow Duncan's settings. Without EQ, UAPP plays it clear and open with standard-res files AND high-res files.

Cheers. 

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #9,071 of 15,694

I had a question about portable use with an iPhone. I'm going  Neuton App > CCK > Moon Audio USB micro cable > Hugo. The things is I was pretty satisfied until one day the red/44.1k samplerate light turned orange/48k and then later changed back.To me ears the 48k definitely sounded better. The maddening thing is that I don't why it changed to 48k or why it changed back to 44.1. I've tried everything to get it to upsample again, including the sample control on Neutron, but the option is no longer there. 

Is there anyone who understands this issue? Thanks!

hi edwardsean,

I also use the Hugo with my iPad Air, via CCK connection with stock USB micro cable.

To hear 24/48 or higher-resolution tracks with no issues, please get the Onkyo HF Player app (iOS version). Think you will like it...

Cheers. 

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #9,072 of 15,694
NP
smily_headphones1.gif

If you get the "der-d-d-der-d-d-der" noises, that will still be the cell signal from your handset (dropping from 3/4G down to 2/2.5G) - not a lot you can do about that, and - that is where airplane mode unfortunately would still be needed...

Duncan,

Thankfully, I am not hearing any "der-der-ders" for now but will bear your advice in mind.

Thanks again. 

Dec 14, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #9,073 of 15,694
Yes I got the se846 with Hugo and ak240 the sounds is amazing!!

I am thinking of getting custom siren roxanne earphone. Not pretty sure how is the sounds like. And most of the miusic I listening to are Jazz.

Hi.
Just wanna share :) i tried roxanne demo before i bought my roxy universal akr03 model. The roxanne have a bigger sound-image compared to s846/tg334/parterre (but all of them are actually great already). The problem was i found the resolution/texture not as good as the others i have mentioned above. I felt the sound was fuller. But i had a hard time to get the good imaging from it. The akr03 is better imo. Smoother and cleaner. So easier for me to get the imaging of the sound. However, the treble can be too sharp at a times (if not, many times). And i spend my time comparing all those...imo..for resolution..tg334 still a winner for me. And i also would say shure is better than roxanne (demo)/akr03 in term of resolution/texture (better imaging as well)

And i dont really like roxanne akr03 with hugo. Parterre and shure 846 are better to my ears. Ymmv thou.

* Not sure about the custom version of roxy. They might be different. I never tried one. Just the demo version.

Cheers.

Dec 14, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #9,074 of 15,694
Hey, that be good to know.
I like Hugo with HD800 + Shure 940as well. But cans add bulk on-the-go.
Will try Shure 846 as well - afaik, could not get good seal last audition.
TG334 seemed to "fit ear" better. Which is strange because I am not Japanese...
TQ.

Hi.
For me..shure 846 fit better into my ears. The two housing snug perfectly into my ears and they seal very good actually. I use rubber tips. The tg334 also comfortable for me. But their housing are fatter than s846 and they sticking out when i wear it. Not as nicely-fitted as s846 to my ears.

Cheers.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #9,075 of 15,694
  Chord Electronics have just told us that they will be showing 2 new products at headroom in January! Kinda excited to know what these are.

I've booked both days! So looking forward to that. I wonder if there will be any hints re the Products beforehand? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back