Chord Hugo
Dec 11, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #9,046 of 15,694
Aw no, it's not like that. I can't stand being sequestered to a listening spot because of thick cables. That's not fun. Your environments sound fine to me. Hugo can move around and be adjusted with SN7, for sure. But I wouldn't expect it to stay connected thriugh a 7.5 or higher earthquake :p

That's good to know. Guess sky diving with the Hugo on SN7 is out then huh... :D

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #9,047 of 15,694
That's good to know. Guess sky diving with the Hugo on SN7 is out then huh...
biggrin.gif

good job Santa has a sleigh... and a Hugo...
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #9,048 of 15,694

That was a good read, as well as other material served up by Google in that search, thanks. I find that USB/SPDIF converters and some other esoteric gadgets are essentially bridging the realms of headfi to hifi. Like the reviewer on CA, I have a dCS (Puccini, not Scarlatti) and U-clock on a speaker set-up, but I just never thought, rightly or wrongly, to intermix the two realms. In any case, that's for another forum, I think. So in keeping the Hugo rig (trans)portable and strictly for use with headphones/earphones, is there a place for the USB/SPDIF converters and friends? If not, what, if any, hardware/software improvements can we look forward to?

Am with you on this as I like packing light.

Hugo + source + short cable(s) + IEM is convenient, light and fast to set up/enjoy/pack up.

Thinking out of the (Hugo) box, I am now leaning towards an IEM upgrade.

It has been mentioned that Hugo dances well with the HD800.  That said, HD800 comes across as looking a bit too "spaceman spiffy" on-the-move... and I don't think I want to lug a heavier and bigger daily pack.

So, is there anyone who is regularly using Hugo with the TG334? Insight(s) would be appreciated.

Thank You. 

Dec 12, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #9,049 of 15,694
The Hugo has arrived and all I can say is WOW! What a solid piece of audio equipment. It shines at whatever I throw at it, especially red book rips. I have no regrets of my purchase. Happy listening! 

Dec 12, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #9,050 of 15,694
Am with you on this as I like packing light.

Hugo + source + short cable(s) + IEM is convenient, light and fast to set up/enjoy/pack up.

Thinking out of the (Hugo) box, I am now leaning towards an IEM upgrade.

It has been mentioned that Hugo dances well with the HD800.  That said, HD800 comes across as looking a bit too "spaceman spiffy" on-the-move... and I don't think I want to lug a heavier and bigger daily pack.

So, is there anyone who is regularly using Hugo with the TG334? Insight(s) would be appreciated.

Thank You. 

They do fine with tg334/parterre. Very listenable. But i do prefer my other rigs to go with them. Hugo has a very low noise floor for iems. But i just feel like the hugo's dektop-nature presentation are more suitable for cans (personal opinion only)

(I enjoy my hugo better with my shure 846 than my fitears)

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #9,051 of 15,694
Yes I got the se846 with Hugo and ak240 the sounds is amazing!!

I am thinking of getting custom siren roxanne earphone. Not pretty sure how is the sounds like. And most of the miusic I listening to are Jazz.

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #9,053 of 15,694
They do fine with tg334/parterre. Very listenable. But i do prefer my other rigs to go with them. Hugo has a very low noise floor for iems. But i just feel like the hugo's dektop-nature presentation are more suitable for cans (personal opinion only)

(I enjoy my hugo better with my shure 846 than my fitears)

Hey, that be good to know.
I like Hugo with HD800 + Shure 940as well. But cans add bulk on-the-go.
Will try Shure 846 as well - afaik, could not get good seal last audition.
TG334 seemed to "fit ear" better. Which is strange because I am not Japanese...
TQ.

Dec 13, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #9,054 of 15,694
Yes I got the se846 with Hugo and ak240 the sounds is amazing!!

I am thinking of getting custom siren roxanne earphone. Not pretty sure how is the sounds like. And most of the miusic I listening to are Jazz.

Ah, Roxanne. Wonder if she will love Hugo long time? 

For now, I am not really into CIEMs because of: 

1) the long waiting line for the good ones.
2) possible issues with re-fitting (looonger wait).
3) no re-sale value.

Seems to me, CIEMs I like = you pay mucho + you get to wait a lot +  you hope they got it right.

Maybe someday...

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #9,057 of 15,694
Ah, Roxanne. Wonder if she will love Hugo long time? 

For now, I am not really into CIEMs because of: 

1) the long waiting line for the good ones.
2) possible issues with re-fitting (looonger wait).
3) no re-sale value.

Seems to me, CIEMs I like = you pay mucho + you get to wait a lot +  you hope they got it right.

Maybe someday...

I have 2 pairs CIEM, both arrived as scheduled, neither needed re-fitting. As for re-sake anything custom is, custom.

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #9,058 of 15,694

Does it sound good to you? 

Using the HD usb input versus Bluetooth input, which is what I was using, yes it certainly sounds better ( of course, that's probably the Hugo DAC). I am using Neutron MP with FLACs and 320 mp3 in the phone. Although I have to admit, I am noticing some pop/crackling and I don't know why. Turning off the bluetooth helped with the major interference, and I also put it in airplane mode, but perhaps I need a better cable.

Dec 13, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #9,059 of 15,694
I have 2 pairs CIEM, both arrived as scheduled, neither needed re-fitting. As for re-sake anything custom is, custom.

Thank you for taking the trouble to share your good experience in purchasing CIEMs.

I am not saying CIEMs are no good, far from it. Sonically speaking, customising a hand-made IEM to fit your ear exactly is a good thing.

However, I cannot abide the waiting time for the CIEMs I am interested in (no point naming them because I am not ready to invest).

And, there is the risk of not submitting a good ear impression that may/may not incur additional waiting time/hassles. Or, there could be a customising issue on the part of the manufacturer with the same result.

When it comes to audio products, I like to listen, consider, purchase and enjoy, preferably on-the-spot or shortly thereafter.  Life is short, and this is, after all, the age of instant gratification.

Sometimes, I may regret a purchase later, and I like to enjoy the option of re-selling to re-coup some money for something else/better.  This is problematic with the CIEM purchase model. You may say that re-shelling is possible but the potential buyer has to agree to undergo this additional step as well as be happy with your personalised design.

As such, CIEMs are not for me...for now.

Cheers. 

Dec 13, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #9,060 of 15,694

Using the HD usb input versus Bluetooth input, which is what I was using, yes it certainly sounds better ( of course, that's probably the Hugo DAC). I am using Neutron MP with FLACs and 320 mp3 in the phone. Although I have to admit, I am noticing some pop/crackling and I don't know why. Turning off the bluetooth helped with the major interference, and I also put it in airplane mode, but perhaps I need a better cable.

I use the USB Audio Player (UAP) app to playback high-res PCM files on the GS5 + Hugo combination.  

24/192 files can be played but I hear pops + crackles as well.  Like you, I tried airplane mode and it helps but does not eliminate the problem.  There are also some trouble-shooting settings in UAP app which I have tried but there are still pops and crackles.

This is probably a hardware problem when an external DAC is plugged in for audio playback on the GS5. I have tried connecting via an OTG cable to a Centrance Hi-Fi M8 and there are also pops and crackles. If someone knows better, please let me know what to do.

katulu, you may be right about a better cable. If it works, please let me know which cable.

What I can share with you is this: no pops and crackles using the Hugo with an iPad Air (connected using the CCK kit) or a MBP via the USB or toslink interfaces.

So, right now, the GS5-Hugo combo is my last resort combo for head-fi-ing. 

Cheers.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back