Chord Hugo
Oct 14, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #8,536 of 15,694
It's not everyday you get to use the colors Charteuse Green or Azure.
atsmile.gif

Oct 16, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #8,539 of 15,694
just a query from Hugo users, for DAC use what is the best output level ? I am currently using the level which is by pressing the crossfeed button while powering on which is said to be about 3v. any body experimented with lower or higher levels ?

Oct 16, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #8,540 of 15,694
I have only two channel setup, so I watch movies also in two channel thru pioneer bdp. sound thru Hugo is so wide and holographic in movies. dynamic range is a like you probably won't get from a multichannel set up. can any body suggest a video/media player for windows which supports asio playback ? vlc does not support it.

Oct 16, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #8,542 of 15,694
Does anyone know when the new Hugo with higher wpc (one currently in development) for 2.0 users will be available? If it's not anytime soon I am thinking about pairing the Hugo with Schitt Ragnorak integrated amp..

Oct 17, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #8,544 of 15,694
Hi,
I've bought the Hugo a few days ago and I'm very satisfied.
I connect the Hugo into my preamp with RCA cable.
I connect the Hugo to my iPad/Macbook pro  with USB cable.

When I connect the Hugo to my iPad and use Onkyo HF Player it sounds amazing,
but when I connect the Hugo to my Macbook pro, which should be the preferred option, the sound
isn't so good. The high-frequencies sometimes too sharp, there is no sense of a real performance
(in contrast to the iPad), etc.

I've tried several softwares: iTunes, Audirvana and Amarra.
Amarra sounds the best, but still far away from the iPad+Onkyo combination.

Am I missing something?

I noticed that the Onkyo HF Player has a built in Selectable HD equalizer mode (64-bit) which is ON by default.
And the other thing - Automatic upsampling function - which makes my original 44kHz discs detected
as a 176kHz (light blue) by the Hugo.

Thanks.

Oct 17, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #8,546 of 15,694
Check your eq settings

And maybe your tracks are just mastered poorly

Thanks for reply.
I tried to disable EQ both on Audirvana and Amarra, the result was uncolored sound but not as full (sound) as with the iPad,
and a bit sharp.
I'm using the same tracks with the iPad and MBP.
The CDs were not professionally ripped but absolutely fine (using dbPoweramp  ["as source" and "uncompressed"]).

Oct 17, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #8,549 of 15,694
Limited information to go on. We don't know your speakers, headphones or music. We don't know what your reference point is for comparison to provide context.

Regarding mastering, for example Red Hot Chili Peppers studio albums are notorious for their poor mastering.

If you bump up frequencies by a few dB then sure it is easy to replicate "fullness" with eq, although something like the hot treble of modern pop engineered with synthesisers and autotune cannot really be eq'd out IMO

Why worry about it. If you like the app's eq setting then roll with it

Oct 17, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #8,550 of 15,694
Limited information to go on. We don't know your speakers, headphones or music. We don't know what your reference point is for comparison to provide context.

Regarding mastering, for example Red Hot Chili Peppers studio albums are notorious for their poor mastering.

If you bump up frequencies by a few dB then sure it is easy to replicate "fullness" with eq, although something like the hot treble of modern pop engineered with synthesisers and autotune cannot really be eq'd out IMO

Why worry about it. If you like the app's eq setting then roll with it

I don't use headphones but a naim audio system.
Music - for instance: Milstein plays Bach .
I tried to change the volume - more from the Hugo and less from the preamp. With the MBP the result was fullness but grainy.
With the iPad, though, I reached such a balance which cannot be achieved with the MBP (with my current knowledge).

Why worry about it? It is no problem for me to play via the iPad all the time but there it's capacity is very limited (64GB),
whilst my music library is a few TB, and you can't connect an external hard drive.

Is it possible to replicate the EQ settings of the Onkyo HF Player with other softwares?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back