Chord Hugo
Jul 14, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #6,497 of 15,694
just got my gigabyte z97 motherboard that have audiophile usb port specially for eksternal dac use
and it have option in bios to disable the 5volt or enable in that special usb port.
will test it tommorow.

Jul 14, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #6,500 of 15,694
I'm taking my first steps in the audio world , so this might be a rookie question... does using hugo with a Mac (mini or others) will be better then with PC, (sound wise) while playing FLAC or WAV files?

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #6,501 of 15,694
And the answer you seek is a complex one and there will be many a swords and none the same.
First off. The are many rumors that Mac is better than PC. Not reall true but there is some truth to it but for the wrong reasons. Using a iMac with an I7 CPU with aurdivana plus. I can achive great sound with almost all dacs. But now go to a I7 Mac book pro same configuration and much less results. The reason is simple a mobile does not have the same CPU prating as a desk top. Why battery consumption so it steps back and forth.
Next is PC to Mac. Well here it is not so simple either. PC has many more options and building a caps with win server 2012 is by far the best and above macs for me. But not for all so now it gets muddy. There will be many post,s to come .
Of your building a PC get a PPA PCI X card and simple dc power supply for it. This and win 7 with an I7 CPU is fine. And the list can go up Fromm there . Good luck .
Al

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #6,502 of 15,694
My desktop PC sounds better than my Mac Mini FWIW. I tried both with my Hugo and my Meridian Director, and the big Windows box was better with both, more ease and grace.
Maybe it's because my Mini has a spinning disk, and the PC has solid state drives, so that may be the reason.
When I tried music on an external spinner disk, it sounded kind of bad, but my external SSD sounds much better, and the SSD disks (I have 2 of them) right inside the Windows box sounds better still.
All I know right now is that I am extremely pleased with my Windows 7 / Hugo system, with very high end sound (like a 5-figure-and-beyond cd player), so I feel no need to push this further at this point.

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #6,503 of 15,694
So I decided to experiment by unplugging my Hugo from the charger all day (but turned on) and now it seems to need a whole new charge-up.
I think I'm going back to leaving it plugged into AC power all the time as usual.

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #6,504 of 15,694
I knew it was complicated...:frowning2:. Do you happen to know if a PC like for example the intel Nuc could be a good solution? (regarding your Mac mini statement). Maybe there's a way I can upgrade the sound card? I've been using PC all my life and not really into adjusting to Mac at this age. The problem is I'm building my main system setup here.

Jul 14, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #6,506 of 15,694
I knew it was complicated...
frown.gif
. Do you happen to know if a PC like for example the intel Nuc could be a good solution? (regarding your Mac mini statement). Maybe there's a way I can upgrade the sound card? I've been using PC all my life and not really into adjusting to Mac at this age. The problem is I'm building my main system setup here.

I know what you mean. For some reason, even though Windows has some quirks, I can always seem to get around them, and the Apple OS seems awkward and hard to control and sometimes too cute for its own good.
The Apple tablet OS is good though.

Jul 14, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #6,507 of 15,694
my usb ports on my asus sabertooth z77 mobo have always been disappointing, so i bought a PCIe USB card and it works well with most USB dacs(except tenor) i've owned in the past, including the hugo, i recently started using the toslink port on the mentioned mobo and have never looked back,
there is no distortion, hum, hiss, crackle or anything to resemble any kind of disruption using the toslink, i recommend you guys try your mobo's toslink and see results.

Jul 14, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #6,508 of 15,694
my usb ports on my asus sabertooth z77 mobo have always been disappointing, so i bought a PCIe USB card and it works well with most USB dacs(except tenor) i've owned in the past, including the hugo, i recently started using the toslink port on the previously mentioned mobo and have never looked back,
Gigabyte have some "audio grade" USB ports in their premium mobo. I just found that out when I was shopping for a gaming micro-PC. I think I will give it a shot.

Jul 14, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #6,509 of 15,694
Finally got the Hugo. This product is indeed deserving of this huge thread. My hats off to Chord for pulling off reference class performance in a product this small at this price range. In the past couple months I auditioned portable amps in the $500+ range notably: Duet, Pure II, 627X, Kojo, Pico Power and ALO Conti V3. Audition done using the same setup: ipod Classic 160GB > CLAS DB > Amp > Shure 846.

All these amps I have to admit are good, and all bettered my trusted iqube V1, and I can see why one would pick one from the other as each had their own unique strength. But when I heard the Hugo it was game over. I have a speaker system consisting of Dynaudio Confidence speakers with Accuphase/Rowland electronics. I also have a secondary system consisting of Harbeth P3ESR and Plinius electronics. I am amazed the Hugo with a lowly ipod and 846 can produce sonic fidelity that not only compete but may even exceed my primary system. As others have said in this thread this thing is a game changer.

Now I need to find a digital coax SPDIF cable to connect the CLAS DB to the Hugo. Currently I am using a plain vanilla RCA analog cable w/c seem to work fine, but I am sure I can do better. Any recommendation for this cable will be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back