Chord Hugo
Jun 16, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #4,921 of 15,694
It's a tad trying to figure this thread at times, at first people were amazed at revolutionary game changing product that could be used in every scenario portable/transportable home, a first(?)... next up people were amazed how this little box of tricks was competing with desktop products costing way more... we have now come 360degs and have the arrival of the 'school bullies', the home audio system, products costing mega-bucks to bash little ole Hugo into submission & admit defeat... perhaps Chord should reconsider a name change to David because Hugo appears to be challenging a few Goliath's out there.  

best not to get all uppity bourgeois over gear imho.

Jun 16, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #4,922 of 15,694
OK-Guy, I wholeheartedly agree with your analysis of the trajectory of this thread. It has been more than interesting to read how fellow head-fiers have dug into certain positions on the Hugo, especially in the light of Mr. Watts openness about how the Hugo is designed and constructed. In the end the Hugo is still just a tool, an inanimate object, that we as human beings ascribe value and worth to. And yes, after demoing one recently, as in made the mistake of actually listening to music through the Hugo, I still want one.

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #4,924 of 15,694
The Hugo is a ground breaking device especially in the Mobility category.
I do not know of a product that produces sound in anyway on this level mobile . With that said there is always better or improvements. Do not think concessions make the product bad. There is no perfection at this price point. The issue becomes a debate when other more expensive devices are directly compared. They should not be especially in a public forum that is dedicated to the Hugo.
It's just good for any devices. To me the Hugo is way above most transportable rigs as In a desk top. I use the Hugo daily for commuting it's not a dap so I need a transport and I do this willingly because it's just that good. I can afford what ever I want and I use it. I know I grip at times but only in facts that I hear but I still use it.
Let's enjoy the product and allow some discussion at any small points that are not perfection and not let it become a war. When we become a home for perfection as it's the best DAC ever it becomes pointless and stirs up emotions. I for one do not want any products downed weather I own them or not. And I know I too am guilty of this. So viva Hugo ok.
World Cup anybody :flushed:
Al

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #4,926 of 15,694
Well, the Hugo is certainly a game changing, liberating product.  High end SQ in such a small unit, perfect for the itinerant desk-jockey.  For a few years I had been hankering after a means of getting a level of sound at work as I had with my home rig.  Achievement unlocked.

Do I think it is bright> No, but I do understand where that might come from.  It is more "lit up" than my Metrum Octave.  Clean, and very extended in both directions.  But not bright in the sense of harshness, not at all, and I am someone who has found himself sensitive to this issue.

All this talk about matching it with other amps - I have to say I think the Hugo amp is spectacular.  Everything I have plugged into it, from IEMs to the T1 has been effortlessly and commandingly driven.. This is true flexibility. No messing around with gain switches, no hiss.

There is a real musicality to the Hugo presentation.  

I love it already.

I guess you're not alone.. :D
(yes.. Al loves his too)

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #4,927 of 15,694
I do not know of a product that produces sound in anyway on this level mobile . With that said there is always better or improvements. Do not think concessions make the product bad. There is no perfection at this price point. The issue becomes a debate when other more expensive devices are directly compared. They should not be especially in a public forum that is dedicated to the Hugo.
It's just good for any devices. To me the Hugo is way above most transportable rigs as In a desk top. I use the Hugo daily for commuting it's not a dap so I need a transport and I do this willingly because it's just that good. I can afford what ever I want and I use it. I know I grip at times but only in facts that I hear but I still use it.
Let's enjoy the product and allow some discussion at any small points that are not perfection and not let it become a war. When we become a home for perfection as it's the best DAC ever it becomes pointless and stirs up emotions. I for one do not want any products downed weather I own them or not. And I know I too am guilty of this. So viva Hugo ok.
Al
Do you not think that you are being somewhat patronising to Hugo when you suggest that it's ground breaking in only the mobility arena. You don't seem to get the point that this Dac is huge in its electronic design hundreds of times if not thousands of times more complex and far more capable thereby making many of the mentioned competitor desk top Dac's simplistic and really primitive in comparison. How can you truly insist that they are better than Hugo how do you measure this? By weight perhaps.....

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #4,928 of 15,694
Ok here it is hot off from my skinny hands. Please read slowly as I am saying ahead of time I stink at writing , but I did go over I to make it better I hope :sunglasses::sunglasses:

Direct stream and Hugo , msb and M7

Ok the Hugo first.
The new wave of dacs and Hugo being one are getting closer to what ultra hi end dacs have been for a couple of years or more.
What this means is closer in sound of a ultra high end Analog system .
What an analog system has that most dacs do not is a smoothness that is not smearing . It puts the music up front but not loud or iratating . It has dynamics with out it becoming loud.
It's not that the dacs before had none of the qualities they did but the new stuff has much more of it. As I have compared many dacs the sound signature of the few better ones is very apparent.
The Hugo is the first dac I have heard that is portraying this type of sound at this price point .
It has musicality , what this means to me is . It gives music the power to draw us in , in ways the others did not. It has more details at lower sound passages and does the same when the muisc gets loud as well. I may feel it's tone is off a bit but this is just a point to make but as you listen this seems to fade away into it's obvious refinement of deatils. On an analog system the music seems to slow down so you can hear more of it. The why of this effect I have read has to do with the format it was recorded in meaning PCM as dsd does not have this effect. As such most dacs sound far better with dsd more on this in a few. Now with PCM dacs like a DS or Hugo portray the music in a fashion that makes us feel it's analog so we get the ease in the music feeling. Although the music is pulsing it does not feel this way as much . So louder volumes can be played without the music seeming to Blair at you. The main difference between the Hugo and DS is the proportions of the good stuff they both have. It's very easy to know if the Hugo or DS is playing once you get a handle on what to listen for. But even if you don't know or are not sure in a few mins you will be as the lower details and louder loudness becomes apparent . It's not about tone it's about clarity as they both have it but one has much more and this gives us the feeling of it being more clear . The reason is our brains are tuned for normal sounds like live muisc without amps. And both dacs have this kind of realism in them . Now with red book PCM this becomes just as obvious as hinrez
But in dsd the two really split . The why is a higher level of ambience that makes the DS just much more real. So even though at red book they differ at dsd level it's even more apparent
The Hugo is really good at it's price point but so is the DS as it's still much cheaper than any of the top tier dacs cost and sounds very much like them. It excels in low level details approaching my MSB stack. The DS gives a much more rich and real sounding musical presentation . This makes the choice easy for the difference in price .Now my msb of course has even more of the same kind of natural sound then both of these have. But at low levels this is really apparent and at high levels. Now neither of these dacs blur at complex music as some dacs do , but the DS does maintain a better image and sound stability .

So where does a dac like a audio gd M7 fit in with these other two dacs . It does by having qualities that makes it sound pleasing. The M7 is warmer and as such has less of a glow or timbre accuracy. But it is still, pleasing with it's own style of presentation . Note thickness prevail with the M7 as impact of low end and through out it's whole presentation. This makes for a nice presentation . It makes up for it's lack of being correct and ease of presentation . Lastly my belief is we all hear a little different or have very different likes and dislikes. Just look at all the many speakers and headphones someone always likes one of them as you or I may hate that choice. I have done many home theater installs for wealthy people it always amazed me how poorly they sounded and how happy they were . Maybe it's the money they paid ,not sure but somebody liked it .
The above was done with both speakers and headphones .
The hugo is not bright , it's just a little thin and tuned a little high as in pitch . But not BRIGHT .
Regarding burn in and sound changes as I do what most do and this makes no sense to me by the way. As it never seems to make any difrence to me. A good reviewer takes notes . Now i believe us hearing a new product varies over a period of time and becomes more stable . I do not think the equipment changes but our brain as it interpits the new sounds. After all every device we have sounds different .
Lastly the pitch I stated and started a war. To my ears it's pitched a little high . So vocals seem different as in a higher tone . The reason for this is to makes us feel it has more clarity then it does this also effects the sound stage and will give you more low level details. I cannot say if. It's the dac or amp as you cannot select a true line out either. But it's minor and not bad , what was bad was my persistence as most do not want to read any thing bad about there new toy.
Ok that's it hope you can understand my ramblings and please feel free to rebut what ever you think back to me .
Al

Very nice read Al. :)

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #4,929 of 15,694
I'm using the sys concept cable and can't get more than 24/96 out of the Sony. Have you actually succeeded in getting 24/192 to work?

The track playing is Jazz in the  Pawnshop, 24/192 vinyl rip, Hugo is showing dark blue light 24/192 (colour in the photo may look a bit off due to lighting)

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #4,930 of 15,694
Do you not think that you are being somewhat patronising to Hugo when you suggest that it's ground breaking in only the mobility arena. You don't seem to get the point that this Dac is huge in its electronic design hundreds of times if not thousands of times more complex and far more capable thereby making many of the mentioned competitor desk top Dac's simplistic and really primitive in comparison. How can you truly insist that they are better than Hugo how do you measure this? By weight perhaps.....

As I understand Al he says that it is ground breaking in the portable arena as well as in the desktop arena, as he doesn't know of any better portable DAC/AMP at any price point, and that nothing beats the Hugo at it's price point even on the desktop arena, and that it is amongst ( or better) that "top flight super duper expensive DAC's" a couple years back and up till now. He claims though that some much more expensive DAC's he has heard are better, but he is not bashing the Hugo in any way as I intrepret his words. In my understanding he is praising the Hugo as the rest of us.

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #4,931 of 15,694
Yea. Can you do my interpatations from now on
Hahahahah
Al

Jun 16, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #4,935 of 15,694
Al

Portugal is actually pretty good even w/o Ronaldo but Brazil will take it this world cup. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back