Chord Hugo
May 19, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #3,181 of 15,694
Personally I love the knob.
God, did I really just write that.

The digital volume on the Hugo is excellent with no audible signal loss top to bottom and great transpanency.........careful listening to the rest of the crap out there makes me appreciate this digital control.People pay BIG MONEY in high end home audio to achieve what you have in the"little Hugo"

May 19, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #3,182 of 15,694
Hi Rob, Thanks so much for your genius work to bring HUGO to the world. We all enjoy it very much everyday. I have a couple of questions regarding the power supply performance of the HUGO. Would you please kindly explain to me if you know the answer.

Q1. Do you know the PSRR of the HUGO's power circuitry? Some of my friend here in Taiwan can hear SQ difference between power adapter plugged in and unplugged.

Q2. I noticed that if HUGO is plugged in and always on, the charging indicator will be always on after listening for more than 2 hours. Does that mean that HUGO will be in trickle charge state when it's fully charge and stay at that state as long as the power switch is on? Doesn't that mean that HUGO is operated through the power adapter then?

Thank you very much in advance.

BTW, would you happen to know when my HUGO will be repaired? My HD USB connector fell off and the PCB traces were peeled off too. It's been sent back to Chord for weeks. Thanks.

May 19, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #3,183 of 15,694
Congratulations harmonix!
biggrin.gif

Any first impressions you would like to share? Sound stage.. musicallity.. etc. etc. As in please.. please?
wink.gif

A month from now I will have it too.. using HD800 and T5P..

I am also wondering about using CIEM's with the Hugo and I am very curious about the psychoacoustic filers and how the different settings affects the sound in IEM's / CIEM's.. and also how they affect sound in regular headphones.. anything to say anout that? Please?!
biggrin.gif

Share your thougths with us please.. how has your journey with Hugo started?

Hugo fixes the music!...........made me think about all the marginal upgrades to get better equipment......what a waste........Hugo made my JH 16 freaqphase sound equivalent to a major headphone upgrade.......we have all been so focused on equipment when it's the SOURCE MUSIC MATERIAL that has been BROKEN! Just enjoying 16 44 so much now!!!!
gs1000.gif

May 19, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #3,184 of 15,694
Hugo fixes the music!...........made me think about all the marginal upgrades to get better equipment......what a waste........Hugo made my JH 16 freaqphase sound equivalent to a major headphone upgrade.......we have all been so focused on equipment when it's the SOURCE MUSIC MATERIAL that has been BROKEN! Just enjoying 16 44 so much now!!!!:gs1000smile:

Agree! The Hugo has made both my T5P's and HD800's sing, and I could actually sell my other equipment (Linn Akurate DS and AURALiC Taurus which I haven't used since I got the Hugo).. and I don't feel that I have to upgrade anything anytime soon..

Even though I would like to buy the Noble Kaiser 10 for portability reasons (it will be ordered soon), and actually the Audiophilleo 1 with PurePower for improving the sound even more (and a very good coax interconnect, and a Moon Audio digital lightning to USB micro with the Camera Adapter chip integrated in the cable). So yes I will go a little bit further.. but I am not in a hurry.. and I do not NEED the upgrades.. 16/44.1 sound pretty awsome on the Hugo with the Apples camera adapter to a Vertere USB to micro USB from my iPad Mini Retina. What more do you actually need? And I am pretty picky.. at least I was.. :wink:

May 19, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #3,185 of 15,694

Sell all the desktop amps and the HD800's, buy a pair of low impedance cans, LCD-X.  Use the Hugo amp only.  Use the remaining money and space for additional music purchases.
wink_face.gif

Can't the Hugo drive HD800s or HD650s well? I was told it can do it well.

May 19, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #3,186 of 15,694
Hi Rob, Thanks so much for your genius work to bring HUGO to the world. We all enjoy it very much everyday. I have a couple of questions regarding the power supply performance of the HUGO. Would you please kindly explain to me if you know the answer.

Q1. Do you know the PSRR of the HUGO's power circuitry? Some of my friend here in Taiwan can hear SQ difference between power adapter plugged in and unplugged.

Q2. I noticed that if HUGO is plugged in and always on, the charging indicator will be always on after listening for more than 2 hours. Does that mean that HUGO will be in trickle charge state when it's fully charge and stay at that state as long as the power switch is on? Doesn't that mean that HUGO is operated through the power adapter then?

Thank you very much in advance.

BTW, would you happen to know when my HUGO will be repaired? My HD USB connector fell off and the PCB traces were peeled off too. It's been sent back to Chord for weeks. Thanks.

The PSRR, coupled with the regulator, and the charger itself is hundreds of dB, but that does not mean much, as the SQ of charger PSU is down to RF noise... But I can't hear a difference when it is in trickle charge mode, as there is a lot of RF filtering. Yes if you keep it plugged in, it will just keep it topped up in trickle charge mode. Hugo is not operated through the adapter, as the benefits of battery is low noise, and you still get that in constant current trickle charge. No idea on repairs, please send Matt at chord an email, or contact your distributor. 

May 19, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #3,187 of 15,694

Can't the Hugo drive HD800s or HD650s well? I was told it can do it well.

Sure it can.  But you've taken my statement out of context and who and what it was in reply too.

May 19, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #3,188 of 15,694
  The PSRR, coupled with the regulator, and the charger itself is hundreds of dB, but that does not mean much, as the SQ of charger PSU is down to RF noise... But I can't hear a difference when it is in trickle charge mode, as there is a lot of RF filtering. Yes if you keep it plugged in, it will just keep it topped up in trickle charge mode. Hugo is not operated through the adapter, as the benefits of battery is low noise, and you still get that in constant current trickle charge. No idea on repairs, please send Matt at chord an email, or contact your distributor. 

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. It's amazing that HUGO sounded so well even plugged in.

May 19, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #3,190 of 15,694
Another advantage to the Hugo is it won't annoy the neighbours,I gave my neighbours a Christmas card with two pairs of ear plugs inside but they seen Me a month later and said the ear plugs don't work

May 19, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #3,191 of 15,694
Another advantage to the Hugo is it won't annoy the neighbours,I gave my neighbours a Christmas card with two pairs of ear plugs inside but they seen Me a month later and said the ear plugs don't work

You forgot to give them some isolation spikes for their sofa!

Some Sorbothane underlay would probably help, too
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #3,193 of 15,694
Do you mean Pete and John you'd need a big lounge

Ha ha nice one,wouldn't mind borrowing them and pick their brains for a few hours

I suppose you could strategically position them, one on each side of the room, to dampen wall reflections. I'm sure they'd understand that 'it's all in the name of science'
ph34r.gif

On a serious note, I look forward to the day I can finally afford a Hugo...

May 19, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #3,194 of 15,694
I suppose you could strategically position them, one on each side of the room, to dampen wall reflections. I'm sure they'd understand that 'it's all in the name of science' :ph34r:

On a serious note, I look forward to the day I can finally afford a Hugo...
Might reflect unevenly as Frank's doesn't have much hair.You won't regret getting the Hugo it's something to really look forward too

May 19, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #3,195 of 15,694
There are 3 changes in volume per colour, each step is 1dB. It was difficult deciding upon a big range to cover lots of headphones, plus having a clearly defined colour (not too many shades that you can't distinguish). I think it's about right given the constraints.  
Can't the human eye brain combination see millions of colour shades I think it would be nice to have more to play with. Can't you add a few more in between shades Rob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back