Chord Hugo
May 13, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #2,881 of 15,694
Nice solution, but quite simple UI aparently ? Small screen ?

May 13, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #2,882 of 15,694
Well, my Hugo is ordered and on the way. They certainly don't sit for long in UK dealers at the moment.
So, in anticipation, have been studying the specs.

Too true

Slightly concerned that the USB input for tablets and smartphones is only 16/48 capable.

Just use the high resolution input then! It still works exactly the same but offers high resolution playback!

May 13, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #2,884 of 15,694
Had the Hugo for 10 days now and been listening almost non stop since then with my AK240 and Shure 846 with double helix cable.
I cannot discern any difference at all with the cross feed settings.

You are not alone, it is the same for me : I cannot discern any difference at all with the cross feed settings.

May 13, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #2,886 of 15,694
Mr. Watts, thank you for bringing up an unique and innovative product as the Hugo. I have been enjoying the sound for quite a few weeks.

I did a serious listening test for my own recreation between my Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC and a loaned Hugo. Below is my old set up. I was using a HD800 to monitor the difference between the two.

While the BAD Alpha provided a "analog" feel to the sound, the Hugo on the other hand presented a more "lifelike" and coherent quality. After the listening test, below is my current set-up.

I sold the BAD Alpha!

The Hugo is as stealth as can be hiding behind the HD800. I also replaced the Olive 4HD with an Aurender S10 music server, from which outputing music data via coaxial SPDIF and USB.

I also did a comparation between the two ways of output. Since the S10 can simultaneously output via SPDIF and USB, by pressing the Hugo's source selection I can conveniently hear the difference. I found myself prefer the SPDIF over the USB. It's more focused, much linear on the extension of the highs, and the background is darker and calmer.

I realize there are a lot of uncontrolled variables existing in the compaction, e.g., the different output stages of the SPDIF and USB in the S10,or different cables (I used an AQ Eagle Eye for coaxial and an AQ Diamond USB cable with an AQ adapter) However, I am really curious about the potential of the HD USB input, since it seems more capable (full supports up to DXD and DSD) and could be used with Android / iDevices.

My questions is:

1. Could you elaborate more on the USB input structure, i.e., is it internally an I2S or SPDIF topology, what is the function of that AMTEL chip? any customized function has been implemented using the chip?
2. Any special effort has been taken to optimize the HD USB input's sound quality?
3. What's your POV concerning the sound quality among the different ways of input (though I understand that you use the optical more....)

Thank you very much for you time ans passion in educating and enlightening us

May 13, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #2,887 of 15,694
Im gonna get the r dock and chord anthem digital cable and see if that sounds any better,I need it anyway as im sick of charging the iPhone up all the time

May 13, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #2,889 of 15,694
I realize there are a lot of uncontrolled variables existing in the compaction, e.g., the different output stages of the SPDIF and USB in the S10,or different cables (I used an AQ Eagle Eye for coaxial and an AQ Diamond USB cable with an AQ adapter) However, I am really curious about the potential of the HD USB input, since it seems more capable (full supports up to DXD and DSD) and could be used with Android / iDevices.

Hugo's coaxial can actually do 24/384, so you can actually stream DSD via DoP using coaxial without problem. Mr. Watts mentioned about the DoP/coaxial in one of his posting here. If your transport's coaxial can do 384khz then DXD would be possible too I assume.

May 13, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #2,892 of 15,694
Mr. Watts, thank you for bringing up an unique and innovative product as the Hugo. I have been enjoying the sound for quite a few weeks.

I did a serious listening test for my own recreation between my Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC and a loaned Hugo. Below is my old set up. I was using a HD800 to monitor the difference between the two.

While the BAD Alpha provided a "analog" feel to the sound, the Hugo on the other hand presented a more "lifelike" and coherent quality. After the listening test, below is my current set-up.

I sold the BAD Alpha!

The Hugo is as stealth as can be hiding behind the HD800. I also replaced the Olive 4HD with an Aurender S10 music server, from which outputing music data via coaxial SPDIF and USB.

I also did a comparation between the two ways of output. Since the S10 can simultaneously output via SPDIF and USB, by pressing the Hugo's source selection I can conveniently hear the difference. I found myself prefer the SPDIF over the USB. It's more focused, much linear on the extension of the highs, and the background is darker and calmer.

My questions is:

1. Could you elaborate more on the USB input structure, i.e., is it internally an I2S or SPDIF topology, what is the function of that AMTEL chip? any customized function has been implemented using the chip?
2. Any special effort has been taken to optimize the HD USB input's sound quality?
3. What's your POV concerning the sound quality among the different ways of input (though I understand that you use the optical more....)

Thank you very much for you time ans passion in educating and enlightening us

Glad to hear you have been enjoying the sound of Hugo.

The Atmel chip is the USB decoder. This receives timing data from the FPGA, so the overall timing comes from Hugo's low jitter clock. So this would be a potential benefit of using the HD USB, but in practice the DPLL is so good in terms of jitter rejection, this is not a significant benefit, contrary to what one might think. So the other issue for the digital inputs is how much RF noise is injected (or created) within Hugo. RF noise inter modulates with the analogue parts, creating noise floor modulation, which makes it sound harder and brighter. This would account for the difference in sound of digital cables and sources. I prefer optical, as it normally sounds smoother and warmer, precisely because of this effect.  

May 13, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #2,893 of 15,694
Hugo's coaxial can actually do 24/384, so you can actually stream DSD via DoP using coaxial without problem. Mr. Watts mentioned about the DoP/coaxial in one of his posting here. If your transport's coaxial can do 384khz then DXD would be possible too I assume.

Actually what Rob said was that "theoretically" the Hugo's coaxial can accept up to that spec.
He did not test it physically, but rather simulated in the lab.
The reason is that so far there is no device that can output 32/384 via coaxial.

I tested it using the Aurender S10. It could not do more than 24/192 via coaxial. (It can do DoP, which is 174kHz, though)
USB did just fine up to DSD 128 to both ends (I don't have any 32/384 files at hand).

May 13, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #2,894 of 15,694
Glad to hear you have been enjoying the sound of Hugo.

The Atmel chip is the USB decoder.

Thank you for the prompt reply (or should I say lightning fast? :wink:)

So is this chip a customized one or just another out-of-the-shelf one?
After all, devices with an USB input that can accept up to 32/384 aren't that many so far...

And am I right to say that if an USB cable that is effectively shielded from the RF signals, the sound quality from the USB input can outperform the coaxial?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back