Chord Hugo
Apr 29, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #2,583 of 15,694
One thing I noticed was the cable I tried did't have the plastic sheath where the pins connect to the CIEM that the UE cable has.  Is this more risky since only the pins hild it in place and have no reinforcement from knocks etc. Do an company make their cables with this plastic sheath around the pins?

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #2,586 of 15,694
Crashem with you talking watts maybe you can clear...this up for me,the higher the resistance the harder it is to drive headphones,maybe I'm wrong here but aren't speakers with less resistance say from 8 ohms to 4 ohms puts more strain on a power amp yet it's less resistance,then you have power as in watts,now Rob watts says the Hugo has a powerful amp section that can drive most if not all headphones but only has 1w,not sure with headphones but with speakers for example 86 db spl is harder to drive than 90 db spl but I thought that was ohms as in the resistance,I just don't get it at all,I know you Go by the rms for accurate power to match amp and speakers but I don't think it's that easy

I hope I explain this correctly and that I understand you question correctly.  I am assuming you are asking why speakers put more strain on an amplifier when the nominal impedance of speakers are normally from 4-8ohms and headphones are usually much higher (for example, HD800 is 300, HE-6 is 50). 

Let me steal this from someone else (http://www.activebass.com/a42--Understanding-Basic-Electricity-of-your-Amp-and-Speakers):

"First let me explain it in terms that everyone can understand. Think of your amplifier as a water faucet or hose bib on the outside of your house. You connect the garden hose to the faucet. This is the wire going to your speaker. You then connect the end of the hose to one of those spinning water sprinklers. This is your speaker. Now. The amount of water PRESSURE is the VOLTAGE. The amount of water FLOWING is the AMPERES. If you have one of those little spinning water sprinklers for the lawn it does not take much to make it move but if it is a heavy industrial sprinkler for a large field it takes more water pressure and flow to make it move. The pressure and the flow overcome the resistance and the RESISTANCE is the OHMS. The total amount of land getting water is work, and the WORK BEING DONE is the WATTS. Also, the size of the hose will effect the amount of flow so whenever you do wiring on your speakers be sure the wire size is large enough to handle the flow."

Given the above, you can see that OHMS by itself doesn't mean anything.  Its the WATTS needed by a speaker/headphone at whatever OHMS is what dictates how hard your amplifier will need to work to drive a speaker/headphone.  While headphones may have much higher Nominal Impedance (OHMS) than most speakers, it doesn't require anywhere near as many WATTS normally.  You can compare WATTS needed by A speaker/headphone to B speaker/headphone by normalizing the ohms.  So Speaker A wants 50 watts at 8 ohms and Headphone B is .5 watts at 64 ohms, would make Headphone B similar to 4 watts at 8 ohms. btw, when they say 50 watts required, they really mean watts RMS.

Statistics around efficiency (db SPL Vrms) or sensitivity (db SPL Wrms) are interchangeable with some calculation.  These calculations were meant as a way to give you relative apple to apples comparison.  However, it does not really help in determining if your amplifier will drive your speakers/headphones correctly beyond a brief guideline.

The danger is under-amping your speakers/headphones.  Over-amping isn't as big a danger as long as you control volume correctly and don't blow out your speakers.  Under-amping is the danger as not providing enough volts can cause the type of clipping that will cause permanent damage to your speakers/headphones.  This is why I am scared to plug my B&W 805's into Hugo as B&W says it requires a minimum of 50 watts at 8 ohms and Hugo says it provides 1 watt at 8 ohms.  Also, remember most of the numbers quoted are typically average and the variation is going to depend on the frequency being played.

Apr 30, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #2,588 of 15,694
  did some surgery on my USB cable, and now...it fits 
wink.gif

But boy, those MiniUSB female plugs seems sooofragile.  Hey M. HUGO, next time try to fit on the board a full size USB instead for the High-Def USB.

Not 100% sure why you would need to do that. I have 3 different micro usb plugs and they all seem to fit just fine.

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #2,590 of 15,694
Here's mine:

Found some hi-quality micro usb connectors, cut the housing on the side and inserted the cable at right angles. Assembly is a pain, but no problems with handshakes at home or on to go for last couple of months 

Apr 30, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #2,592 of 15,694
I realize I'm preaching to the choir here, but I figured some may be interested in a brief Centrance M8 vs. Hugo comparison.

For the uninitiated, the M8 is a DAC/amp like the Hugo, and my M8 version (there's quite a few) has an idevice input as well as a PC USB input, and dual 3-pin XLR jacks.  The M8 puts out about 1W of power, and has toggle switches for impedance, gain, treble, and bass.  

For this comparison, I just used an iTouch 5G as a source, lightning to USB to both the M8 and the Hugo (Hugo requires CCK, M8 does not).  Music sources were local stored m4a aac, PC JRiver18 to USB, and PC streamed to Jplayer app on Touch.  

Which cuisine reigned supreme?

The differences are actually pretty straightforward and readily apparent.  The M8 has strong output power, better low "thooom" bass, and presents overall pleasing, high quality SQ.  The Hugo just presents fundamentally "real-er" sound.

The M8 is like having music in a closed hand vs. the Hugo being an open palm.

M8 is Baskin Robins ice cream. Hugo is home made with egg yolks, real cane sugar, fresh scraped vanilla beans and whipped hyper-quick using liquid nitrogen so as to mitigate air / foam incorporation.  It's all about the confluence of ingredients, methodology, and execution.

The M8 sounds like quality recorded music.  The Hugo places you with the band, hearing the realistic peaks of guitar strums, the details of notes as they amplify up then fade down, dynamic / impactful snare drum pops, the unmistakable sound of live, resonating voices, and the distinct separation of instruments in space. 

Price value wise, is the Hugo worth 3x-4x more than the M8?  No.  Audio bliss wise, absolutely.

Apr 30, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #2,593 of 15,694
Nice review; would be nice if Chord could also offer such flexibility on the outputs as the M8.. I've already emailed them asking if the RCAs could be replaced with balanced but it doesn't look like it's in their plans right now :frowning2:

Apr 30, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #2,594 of 15,694
I am listening to some music by Chris Isaak that I have heard many times (how many times have you read this, about hearing the same music but now. . ). I have been burning in a coax by Whiplash, yes I have using a lot of Whiplash cable lately as I am finding it to be amongst the best I have used and sadly, better than my own (sadly because my own ultra high purity silver specially manufactured for me . . it helps to have a friend in the industry, has always been the best). 

Anyway, coax from the DX90 to the Hugo and to my TH900. Total insanity. Such flow and naturalness, like the post above, like an "open hand". Great phrase there. But the hang of the notes, the freedom of restraint to the decay, the delicacy cries out that this isn't a dac, this is music, pure and simple, music. 

Apr 30, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #2,595 of 15,694

The M8 is like having music in a closed hand vs. the Hugo being an open palm.

Nice way to put it, though I think the M8 can be worst,  e.g. a tight fist. I noted congestion with the M8 when listening to  complex soundscapes such as a full symphony.

--Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back