Chord Hugo
Apr 24, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #2,266 of 15,694
  1st negative...blue tooth sucks big time!  So much static noise it drowns out the music even when I place the phone close to the BT window at the bottom of the Hugo.  Happens on Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8, totally makes blue tooth unusable, needs to be fixed big time.

Agree. It's really bad. Makes me wonder how they can market it as having good bluetooth quality when bluetooth sucks on it.
mad.gif

Lucky for them the sound with other inputs is perfect but it would so nice if they could just sort the bluetooth issue out.

Turn the Hugo around and place the phone on top of the Hugo and try again.
Did that with my iPhone 4S and the noise went away. No static noise what so ever.

So on the go with the Hugo in a jacket pocket, stack it with a phone on the back side without cables and use Bluetooth. Then you will avoid cables breaking USB inputs. And I promise you.. Bluetooth actually sounds pretty good.

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #2,267 of 15,694
I asked one of the guys at chord they are unsure what's going on here as they been using their module for several years without any problems they asked when your using Bluetooth have you disconnected your other cables as they are wondering if there's some sort of RF interference coupling into Hugo somehow. It's not been seen/ heard at chord and they have a rigorous test procedure for Hugo that includes the Bluetooth section.

No other cords or inputs connected, bare Hugo with just earphones connected.  It is the worse blue tooth I have ever heard even when I have the phone sitting on the bottom window of the Hugo I can still hear static.  Any distance away from the Hugo and the static increases greatly to the point where it is louder than the music.

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #2,268 of 15,694
Got a arcam solo in the kitchen with monitor audio bx1 and we have the door open and listen to it while sitting outside,just upgraded to the rx 2 and it sounds spot on,the Mrs is back in work Saturday so I'll sit down and listen to the Hugo,my point is i can listen to inferior gear knowing that I can go back to the Hugo and be totally content,if I could I would have grand utopia speakers in every room driven by chord reference gear but such is life

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #2,269 of 15,694

No other cords or inputs connected, bare Hugo with just earphones connected.  It is the worse blue tooth I have ever heard even when I have the phone sitting on the bottom window of the Hugo I can still hear static.  Any distance away from the Hugo and the static increases greatly to the point where it is louder than the music.

This is the exact same problem I'm having. The Bluetooth input is seriously poor, unusable on quiet passages. 

Rob Watts was kind enough to respond to my previous post on this topic, and suggested using an APTX compatible device.  My Macbook tells me it's using the APTX codec to talk to Hugo, and the static is just as bad 
frown.gif

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #2,270 of 15,694

This is the exact same problem I'm having. The Bluetooth input is seriously poor, unusable on quiet passages. 

Rob Watts was kind enough to respond to my previous post on this topic, and suggested using an APTX compatible device.  My Macbook tells me it's using the APTX codec to talk to Hugo, and the static is just as bad 
frown.gif

Both my phones have AptX, Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8, unless there is some way to specifically use AptX instead of general BT that I don't know about...

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #2,271 of 15,694

Same here. I believe this is affecting a lot more Hugo's but most don't use the Bluetooth input so not many are aware of it.

It is really bad and I'm very surprised  if Chord haven't had a lot of complaints from customers who want to use the Bluetooth input.

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #2,272 of 15,694
Same here. I believe this is affecting a lot more Hugo's but most don't use the Bluetooth input so not many are aware of it.

It is really bad and I'm very surprised  if Chord haven't had a lot of complaints from customers who want to use the Bluetooth input.

Hugo Bluetooth does not good pair with IDevice , a lot of noise

Hugo Bluetooth can pair very good with android like note 3

Hugo Bluetooth can pair very good with AK 100 / AK 120 and AK 240

IMO

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #2,273 of 15,694
Hugo Bluetooth does not good pair with IDevice , a lot of noise

Hugo Bluetooth can pair very good with android like note 3

Hugo Bluetooth can pair very good with AK 100 / AK 120 and AK 240

IMO

I have idevices you get noise

I have Note 3 you get noise

I haven't tried it with my AK240 yet

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #2,274 of 15,694

Turn the Hugo around and place the phone on top of the Hugo and try again.
Did that with my iPhone 4S and the noise went away. No static noise what so ever.

So on the go with the Hugo in a jacket pocket, stack it with a phone on the back side without cables and use Bluetooth. Then you will avoid cables breaking USB inputs. And I promise you.. Bluetooth actually sounds pretty good.

Thanks for the tip, and I'm glad you've kind-of sorted out the issue. However, it's not really an acceptable solution for a £1400 piece of hifi equipment IMHO. Chord really need to sort this out. 

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #2,276 of 15,694

Thanks for the tip, and I'm glad you've kind-of sorted out the issue. However, it's not really an acceptable solution for a £1400 piece of hifi equipment IMHO. Chord really need to sort this out. 

Resorting to slapping the phone next to the Hugo kind of defeats the point of blue tooth, no?  Regardless when I am out and about I want to use my phone in my hand so can't really balance a Hugo while I'm doing that.  Chord needs to sort this issue out.

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #2,277 of 15,694
I have idevices you get noise

I have Note 3 you get noise

I haven't tried it with my AK240 yet

Both my phones are android and it still sucks.

I have tried on Mook audio show , with note 3 was no problem , with my iPhone 5s and iPhone 4 s had problem so noise and crackled

Now I am waiting my new Hugo with new chassis , I will try again after I receive my new Hugo in early May

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #2,278 of 15,694
I have tried on Mook audio show , with note 3 was no problem , with my iPhone 5s and iPhone 4 s had problem so noise and crackled

Now I am waiting my new Hugo with new chassis , I will try again after I receive my new Hugo in early May

Hope they've sorted it out by the time your unit arrives. However, my Hugo has both the new chassis and the bluetooth problem.

It is unusable with iPhone 5, Dell XPS 18, Google Nexus 7 and Macbook Air. 

Apr 24, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #2,280 of 15,694
Ignorant question from a mainly-non-head-fi user mostly interested in Hugo for main rig (I own several cans but not much use except plane travel, but hope to improve on that with Hugo and dog walks, etc):
* is bluetooth really an acceptable signal path for hirez quality music?  I thought it was a poor option (especially given the Hugo's prowess with quality sources)? 

Seriously, not intending to put down bluetooth...simply wondering if Chord added it as a checkmark on a feature list

Users who are viewing this thread

Back